• This topic has 47 replies, 39 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by Pyro.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • Misuse of words – doing it on purpose!
  • tthew

Without wishing to outrage the pedants on the other thread, do you have words you misuse purposely for comedy affect or otherwise? me,

Suppository instead of repository. Unfortunately not a common opportunity for this one, but I did slip it into a work PowerPoint presentation once regarding a data suppository. 😁
    Vegetabules instead of Vegetables. Really annoys the missus and daughter, and they stupidly pointed this out to me.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

comedy affect

nealglover
    Free Member

Vegamables

tthew

comedy affect

I wish I could admit to having done that on purpose, because that one actually does wind me up!

spekkie
    Free Member

At home I still say “busgetti” for spaghetti. My son said it when he was about 5 – many years ago now – and it stuck. I don’t say it to waiters in restaurants though.

I worked with a guy that came from a part of the UK where they thought they were too good to pronounce the letter “H” at the beginning of a word. . . . . what’s that all about?? 😉

perchypanther
    Free Member

do you have words you misuse purposely for comedy affect or otherwise?

Normally I would never do such a thing, how very dare you!

but ….pumpture.

It just makes me giggle.

tomhoward

When I was 5 or 6, my dad would refer to spaghetti bolognese as ‘Spag Bolog’.

At school one day, the teacher went round the class asking us what our favourite meal was. I proudly announced that mine was spag bolog. Now I’m not sure if I mispronounced the G at the end (doubt it) or she misheard me, but I got into a ton of trouble for inappropriate language… 😕

Edukator
    Free Member

I used to right posts with homophones on hear and BM butt sum pendants didn’t sea it. Sew now I’ve stopped. the misuse is reel.

ayjaydoubleyou

I worked with a guy that came from a part of the UK where they thought they were too good to pronounce the letter “H” at the beginning of a word. . . . . what’s that all about?? 😉

a hangover from when the language of high society was French? See also, calling cow meat beef (boeuf) – the fancier things retained their french influence

PhilO
    Free Member

Destructions = instructions.
    Fairy Nuff = fair enough.

nickjb
    Free Member

Actually a few that are mentioned on the other thread to the wife as she is a bit of a grammar pedant and a biologist. Giving her “two choices”, abundant use of “seagull”, calling snakes poisonous. Laugh a minute in our household

redmex
    Free Member

A few years ago I had a 5 cylinder turbo vulva, loved the heated leather seats, the sound system and the rasp from the exhaust. I did do a bit of studying gynecology as a bored teenager with the big dictionary at the school library

dc1988

Non negotionable

My oh would always say that so now I do the same to annoy her.

There’s plenty of other words I pronounce incorrectly just for fun

maccruiskeen

We’ve been jokingly referring to Asparagus as Aspergers in our household and only recently realised we were actually getting it right by accident rather than wrong on purpose.

easily
    Free Member

I sometimes pronounce ‘aluminium’ as ‘alloominum’ because it winds people up so much. Also tomato as ‘tomayto’.

redmex
    Free Member

I’m genuine here never know if it’s dayta or daata , I was born in ’61 that’s my excuse

RustySpanner

easily

I sometimes pronounce ‘aluminium’ as ‘alloominum’ because it winds people up so much. 

Writes name in special book.
    Checks we have enough space against the wall, for when the revolution comes.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

I would probably have used the word porpoise in the thread title.

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

I pacifically asked you not to start this thread.

bsims
    Free Member

If I mispronounce a word and am corrected by a pedant, I say “sorry I have peach inspedimnet and pronunced it wrongly”

Potahto when talking to Americans

Alluminium was called alloominum by Humphrey Davy but was renamed aluminium by the royal society.

Can’t remember where I read that for a reference.

creakingdoor
    Free Member

Not nesecelery.
    Igventure instead of adventure, my son (now aged 22) used to say this all the time when a toddler.
    Chrees, instead of trees. Also mini-chrees for brocolli, aka bollocky
    Pasta carbonarbronarbronarbro
    -horse as a suffix for any word ending in ous, eg dangerhorse, adventurehorse.

How we all laugh…

tthew

I pacifically asked you not to start this thread.

Ah yes, similar but I always call that big body of water the Specific Ocean.

boomerlives
    Free Member

My son has a friend with a condition that I pronounce ass-burgers.

There is nothing finer than a teenager trying to show you up by correcting you, before they realise that you are just that step ahead.

kayak23

Acroplis, as in the zombie Acropolis

Acropolis Now . Hours of fun.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

I always like Terry Pratchett’s Apocralypse…

northernsoul

Several courtesy of the kids, such as coming to an “aggrievement” over which TV to watch, or getting up to mystery (instead of mischief).

andrewreay

sTatellite

myopic
    Free Member

Just as I was reading this thread, my wife said she was having a strange day and she felt like she was having an “outer body experience”. I corrected her, but she insisted that this is exactly what she meant…

RustySpanner

You’re all going to hell in a motorpike and sidecarp.
    Possibly turbotcharged.

revs1972
    Free Member

Fairy Nuff = fair enough.

Fairly Muff

Shirley

oldnpastit

Any kind of software with “manager” in the name is converted to “damager”.

e.g. NetworkDamager.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Any kind of software with “manager” in the name is converted to “damager”.

Mangler.

Windows 3.11 File Mangler

Blackflag
    Free Member

My partner always mispronounces the O at the end of spanish / mexican dishes. Such as Nachohs instead of Nachos. Just to annoy me.

boblo
    Free Member

I still like British Broad Corping Castration and The World is Your Lobster even though they are 1000 years old. And ‘learn to pork choply’ to go with the peach inspediment up there ^

Cougar

If I mispronounce a word and am corrected by a pedant, I say “sorry I have peach inspedimnet and pronunced it wrongly”

I explain that I have trouble with my worms (hat tip to Ronnie Barker).

Fairly Muff

Furry.

Cougar

In fact, that’s probably worth posting here.

boblo
    Free Member

Fair enough = hairy muff Shirley?

Northwind

If you haven’t said cromulent or embiggened in a bit of important work, are you even British?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Writes name in special book.
    Checks we have enough space against the wall, for when the revolution comes.

I work on engineering projects.

Spelling things with an s rather than a z in documentation passive aggressively get’s me through the days. Even when spellcheck disagrees with me.

Sandwich

coming back from the bar with bags of scratchings.

If it’s a kosher bar that would be legendary!

Aurelius off of Gladiator

How about brevity and using Aurelius from  Gladiator

Why is there a common usage of basis after words like daily or weekly?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Misuse of words – doing it on purpose!’ is closed to new replies.