Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Missed out on halfords edge 800….
  • mrjmt
    Free Member

I used to use a Garmin eTrex Vista HCx for navigating on the bike, no OS maps on it but was good enough for a breadcrumb trail to follow. Then the USB socket failed on it after 4 years of abuse, so couldn’t load routes onto it anymore.
    I decided to upgrade to something with OS maps, spotted the PSA regarding the halfords deal for the edge 800 on here but by the time I’d got round to it they’d sold out.

Glad they did to be honest, I actually ordered a garmin etrex 20, got it for under £140 by using go outdoors’ price beat against egalaxy.co.uk. Handlebar mount was then £9 again using go outdoors’ price beat against amazon.co.uk.
    So, all in £150 investment. Then just needed maps, you can get full UK OS coverage for free from various places (there’s another thread on here at the moment discussing sources for maps for the edge 800 that can be applied to the etrex 20 too).

The unit itself is a nice size, screen is big enough to follow route on and the whole thing feels very very robust as its designed for outdoor activities not just mounting on a bike. Also it uses proper buttons not a touch screen so you can use it with gloves on.

So, overall I’m pretty pleased, I saved a fortune and have full OS mapping on the bike. Kind of glad I missed out now!

Also, I reckon the new garmin basecamp software may beat memory map in terms of useability, the maps shading is very usefull when planning routes and you can just click “open in google earth” to see a satellite image of where you’re at. Only thing is missing is being able to print the OS maps but I’m sure there’ll be a way around that with enough googling!

h4muf
    Free Member

You can use the 800 with gloves on you know!

TiRed

exactly what I was planing to do. Glad to hear they now have the handlebar mount.

mrjmt
    Free Member

Yeah, the mount is advertised as being for the Dakota I think but it fits fine and is shown on the Garmin website as being the right one. There’s also a RAM cradle for it thats out in the USA but not available here just yet, think i’ll see how the garmin mount holds up and go for the RAM if its a bit wobbly. Looks good enough though.

Also just got Mobac working to create 1:25k os maps thanks to the edge 800 maps thread, not tried them on the etrex yet though as at work but garmin say its compatible with custom maps so should work fine.

njee20
    Free Member

The point of the Edge 800 is that it’s a cycle computer with GPS functionality. If you’re not fussed by the HR/Cadence/Power/ANT+ functionality then there are better options, as you’ve discovered!

mrjmt
    Free Member

Yes.

As a side, if anyone did miss out on the edge and wants the extra functions, these are available on the etrex 30 too.

bigbloke
    Free Member

Glad this came up as i was looking at Memory Map 2800 as a cost effective GPS system, however general consensus seems its not a great unit.

Can you tell me how easy it is to get the OS maps onto the Etrex etc as i really like the idea of one of these. I’m not very experienced with downloading maps etc onto devices so simple terms and ease of use would be great.

bigbloke
    Free Member

Sorry to ask, just seen the Garmin Dakota 20 for less then a £100, would that be as good as a Etrex20 ?

njee20
    Free Member

As a side, if anyone did miss out on the edge and wants the extra functions, these are available on the etrex 30 too.

What do you mean? It’s not ANT+, so it can’t do the sporty/bikey things.

mrjmt
    Free Member

dont know much about the dakota to be honest, but seeing it in the flesh next to the etrex, it is quite a bit bigger so maybe not as nice to have on the handlebars.

As for loading maps, its very easy if you pay for them, rather more involved if you don’t!

mrjmt
    Free Member

What do you mean? It’s not ANT+, so it can’t do the sporty/bikey things.

The Etrex 30 is ANT+ so it can do the sporty/bikey things. Not too clear on the garmin site but page 46 of the owners manual states that it is and the same HRM and cad sensor are listed for the edge as the etrex 30.

And the etrex take AA batteries so easy to carry a spare set incase you run out of juice on the trail (think the edge has internal batteries?)

njee20
    Free Member

That’s interesting then, didn’t know that, as you say, there’s no mention of it whatsoever on the Garmin spec online!

Yes Edge has internal battery, but pretty long life.

mrjmt
    Free Member

I think though that the HR and Cad are limited to being shown in a data field though, I dont think the etrex will do the virtual training stuff that the edge does.

I guess it depends what fucntions you’re after and what your budget is!

njee20
    Free Member

That would make sense, so that’s a GPS with bike functions tacked on, rather than a bike computer with GPS functions tacked on!

trio25
    Free Member

Where have you seen the dakota at that price, I am after one at the moment!

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

Dakota 20, less than a ton.

I’m interested. Can I get 1:50k OS maps on there?

mrjmt
    Free Member

Yes, according to the Garmin website you can use the discoverer maps on it, it may need a firmware update but I think thats only the early ones and it’ll sort that out once you plug it into the computer.

Looks like a bargain to be honest, dont forget the bike mount too, I got it from go outdoors and had them price beat amazon.

I’d probably get on it quick, not many left looking at the store availability. 😉

munrobiker
    Free Member

I had an etrex and it rattled like sin on the handlebar and drained batteries.

Lakes_Puma

great price on the Dakota but unless you are near Stockport you are SOOL

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Missed out on halfords edge 800….’ is closed to new replies.