• This topic has 21 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by Pook.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Minton batch.
  • Pook

the best descent in the UK? its certainly up there. loved it so much yesterday we did it again today.

WHAT. A. TRAIL.

:o)

hh45
    Free Member

Well, its a good descent by all means but the best in UK? Surely not. The back of Ditchling Beacon, Smiths and Weacombe, stuff in the Lakes the names of which I am not familiar with, more stuff in Quantocks and Exmoor, more stuff in Wales (Y Das in the Black Mountains??) and so on. In fact I prefer the other descent off Long Mynd, described by Benji as so much fun (and hence inherently scary) that its almost a relief when its over. Exactly how I felt.

singlespeedstu

Great on a tandem. A bit mild on anything else.

Loads better stuff not that far away from there.

hora
    Free Member

Loads better stuff not that far away from there

Please tell!

cakefacesmallblock

I have never understood the “magazine pedestal” status given to Minton Batch. Sure it’s a nice ride, as long as it’s not been raining for weeks, in which case the top third is a bog. But there are better,(read more interesting and just as easy.) even on its doorstep.

hora
    Free Member

I thought Long Mynd would have been super-schweet on a hardtail. A 6″ full suss is waaaay overkill.

Funny thing was we saw a few people in full facers. WTF.

ton

fantastic area for a couple of days riding.
    and some nice public houses too. 8)

_tom_
    Free Member

What are these other better descents then? I loved Minton Batch but it would be good to know where a few more good ones are to put into a route for next time I get there 🙂

winrya
    Free Member

I often ride Minton batch but I’m not the biggest fan. I find it a bit too narrow with too little room for error. I get much more of a buzz from doing 30mph + on the descent into little Stretton:)

10pmix
    Free Member

I did it on Sunday and was a bit underwhelmed I have to say. It was OK. The descent straight down Caer Caradoc in the afternoon was much more fun.

Minton Batch:

Caradoc:

Bernaard
    Free Member

I thought riding over Caradoc was a no no
    + 1 for Little Stretton
    Plus the drop into Minton ( not Minton ) is good too as well as the switchback descent down to the road that heads to Medlicott

Speshpaul

Caradoc, is it a good idea to post pictures on bikes on there:-)

” I find it a bit too narrow with too little room for error”
    thats good then!

Best Trail well define best, Its nice its fun, i like it in dark:-0

molgrips
    Free Member

There’s no one best trail of course, as evidenced by this thread.

Is it a good descent? Yes!

This is me after riding it: 😆 that is all you need to know.

hora
    Free Member

We took a wrong turn and ended up climbing a fence next to a Golf course. Over that is quite a steep 100ft or so drop down to the carpark. I went off the edge/ridge down that(!) until it suddenly became full of thick thorn bushes. At that point I decided to be sensible and take a hard right down another steep bank to the ‘safe’ trail 😆

binners

Christ, you really are ‘special’ aren’t you? You literally don’t know which way is up! How on earth can you get lost down Minton Batch?

Do you often find yourself wandering around the streets, wondering where your house is? I bet you regularly lose your car in the Trafford Centre car park, don’t you?

ton

😆 like mad @ binners

maxray
    Free Member

We took a wrong turn and ended up climbing a fence next to a Golf course

I did that on a solo reccy there ages ago, did some stealth riding through the golf course to get back down.

hora
    Free Member

Christ, you really are ‘special’ aren’t you? You literally don’t know which way is up! How on earth can you get lost down Minton Batch?

My Satnav that day was Pook 😉

Do you often find yourself wandering around the streets, wondering where your house is? I bet you regularly lose your car in the Trafford Centre car park, don’t you?

Err no. Remember there was a lad on STW who actually parked in the Trafford Centre and left both mountain bikes ontop.

He wondered why they were nicked. Even a short walk around the Trafford Centre reveals theres a fair few ‘blinged up’ Travellers walking around…..

Pook

we didn’t get lost on minton batch for the record.

hora
    Free Member

Good point. Where did I say we were lost on Minton Batch? We took one short detour off the bottom of the route- 50% of the way round near the Golf course.

geologist
    Free Member

Hopton is much much better

Pook

and it was ace :oD

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Minton batch.’ is closed to new replies.