• This topic has 7 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by br.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Minion ss, anyone ran it 'backwards'
  • alexh
    Free Member

Whilst I love the large edge knobs, I’ve found of late ability (or lack of) to scrub speed whilst upright is getting me into trouble.

I’d retired it to a hanger in the garage and rummaged through my other tyres and found a few good tyres, but nothing with side knobs comparable. I opted for a worn hr2 to throw on.

Passing the minion Ss tyre in the garage I ran my hand over it and noticed how smooth it is when going against the intended direction, hence what gives it’s speed and the lack of braking ability when on the centre tread.

Brush it the other way and it felt like it had much more bite on the square edges.

I’m tempted to try running it backwards, before I end up buying something else with big side knobs.

I wondered if anyone had done this, either on purpose or by mistake.

chiefgrooveguru

When run forwards the braking edges are the squarer ones and the driving edges are ramped.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Worth a go as the tread will wear on one edge from use so reversing the tyre may give a second life. But I’d be sticking it in the shed until spring, straight line braking is a compromise on semi slicks and it doesn’t improve in the wet

Rubber_Buccaneer

Ah, if the chief is right about the ramps then wear from braking will mean you have no good edge left. Save it for next summer

alexh
    Free Member

Chief speaks sense. I’d better check my logic.

alexh
    Free Member

In garage. My logic was incorrect.

Thanks for stopping me wasting my time.

chiefgrooveguru

I am the threadkiller! 😉

br
    Free Member

Or put it on a wider rim and/or reduce the pressure in it?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Minion ss, anyone ran it 'backwards'’ is closed to new replies.