Viewing 33 posts - 41 through 73 (of 73 total)
  • Minimum alcohol pricing and units
  • Stoner
    Free Member

I first put this graph together when Salmond first mooted the idea (in March 09 according to the image tag). Maybe I ought to update it for todays prices and the 40p minimum rate.

konabunny
    Free Member

wrightyson:

It remains unclear how the ban on discount deals would work in practice. But Guardian analysis suggests the government’s proposed minimum price alone would substantially curtail many of the high-profile drinks deals promoted by major supermarkets. Data provided by the research company Assosia, covering promotions between December and February this year, shows Tesco and Sainsbury’s offered two-for-£20 deals on 20-pack crates of Strongbow cider – a sale of more than 93 units of alcohol, working out at just 21p per unit.

At 40p a unit, the two packs would have to cost a minimum of £37.30.

A deal offering 20 cans of Stella Artois – 44 units of alcohol – for £10 at Asda would become substantially more expensive, with a minimum price of £17.60.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2012/mar/23/coalition-minimum-alcohol-price-40p

(Obviously, the retailer wouldn’t be allowed to sell 10 cans for 19 quid and “give” you the other 10 cans “free”).

zokes
    Free Member

Its not about where I drink, its about the thousands upon thousands of pubs that dominate UK town centres where the business model is to pack em in, blast out loud music and serve strong lager.

The whole scenario is clearly anti-social, and it no surprise that it creates anti-social behaviour.

So you don’t like those places. Neither do I, so I don’t go in them. But I wouldn’t dream of suggesting that they should be banned from existing. I’m pretty sure most people under 25 enjoy spending their time there for one reason or another – usually to try to become very social with the opposite sex.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Thing is tho I can see several loopholes being worked out by the big companies surely? There’s gonna be a major outcry when ya can’t get three cases of carlsberg and two of those stupid England window flags for £9.99 come June time!! 😥

zokes
    Free Member

At 40p a unit, the two packs would have to cost a minimum of £37.30.

Which then makes ‘better’ drinks made by smaller manufacturers, or a pint or two in the pub seem much better value

stevewhyte
    Free Member

ernie_lynch – Member

And you don’t think alcohol is taxed to the hilt ?

Alcohol duty in the UK is among the highest in the world.

So a bottle of vodka for under £10, 2l bottle of cider for £2.00.

Yes really expensive.

About time all luxury goods in this country were taxed much more heavily. Everything from Vodka to Prada handbags!

How about more tax on alcohol and fags and less on something like fuel.

I dont think people on this country realise how little we are taxed in the UK compared to many countries. Look at the tax on new cars in many EU countries will make your eyes water.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Zokes, I love “those” places and im 37 this year. I was supposed to go out last night but I just couldnt be arsed!! Think it’s a case of choice when you’re that bit older! When I was 25 I felt I was missing out if we weren’t in amongst it a least once a week, now I just take it or leave it!

MSP

So you don’t like those places. Neither do I, so I don’t go in them. But I wouldn’t dream of suggesting that they should be banned from existing. I’m pretty sure most people under 25 enjoy spending their time there for one reason or another – usually to try to become very social with the opposite sex.

OK there is no problem, its all just imagined, carry on as before lalalalala!

stevewhyte
    Free Member

I love having a couple of pints in the pub with friends, min pricing would not ever be an issue for me regarding this even at £1 a unit.

What it would be is affect the cheap crap that most youngsters drink.

And god forbid alter hown many some people order on a friday night.

Why that is not seen as a good thing is beyond me.

zokes
    Free Member

MSP, earlier…

😉

dazz
    Free Member

stevewhyte – Member
    About time all luxury goods in this country were taxed much more heavily. Everything from Vodka to Prada handbags!

where would the cutoff be for this handbag? £10 bag – OK, £20 bag – Higher tax? Would a top or mid range Mondeo be a luxury item? When a £6k car does exactly the same job?
    Surely the same thing would apply to your bike, TV, carpet etc?

As you can probably tell I resent the fact that I get taxed on my earnings, then again on my savings & then have to pay tax again when buying something I’ve saved up for. So I should be taxed even more because I work & choose to save to have nice things around me? or should I buy cheap & buy twice?

Perhaps we should stop handing out to the people who haven’t actually contributed to the country in any way, that might save a few quid.

bazookajoe
    Free Member

I’m with John_Drummer, make your own!

Currently under the stairs I’ve got 70 bottles of various beers including:

San Francisco Steam Beer
    Yorkshire Bitter
    Scottish 80 shilling
    Stout
    Imperial Stout
    Old London Porter

as well as a batch or two of Joe’s Ancient Orange Mead which is ace.

All made easily for much cheapness and taste better than most offerings from the shops (though I’ll admit a weakness for Biere Speciale from Tesco, 8 little bottles for 2.99 and really aren’t anything speciale at all)

However, if lots more turned to homebrew I’m pretty sure the sods in charge would find a way to try and tax it.

stevewhyte
    Free Member

Dazz i always feel in this global free market world you could just remove yourself to Americ where you will find many more like minded people to yourself and leave us socilest lefties to enjoy the UK.

The real issue with tax is not people who dont work and are not contrubuting its the ones who earn millions and can afford to avoid tax in all its forms. Unfortunatly anyone on PAYE hasnt got a chance.

I would be tempted to cut all income tax but raise VAT and target goods with that. Its not difficult you just make a line in the sand and consider good above the line luxury, we do it all the time with other taxes.

I think most people would consider £100+ handbag a luxury item as they would a £30k car.

I would define luxury when you are paying for the brand and not decernable increase in performance, like buying a Giant and not a Boardman mtb or a BMW instead of a mondeo.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Maybe I ought to update it for todays prices and the 40p minimum rate.

Like a crack head wanting a fix you wont be able to resist 😉

zokes
    Free Member

I think most people would consider £100+ handbag a luxury item as they would a £30k car.

There’s a luxury car tax here in Oz, and we’re so right-wing over here on occasion I wonder if I’ve moved to the USA instead of here!

FWIW, there’s no shortage of cars in the LCT bracket on the roads, so presumably the people who can afford these cars can afford the tax too…

grum
    Free Member

Isnt this a bit ‘Nanny State’ for the Tories? Or is it just that it only affects the plebs who don’t vote Tory anyway?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

stevewhyte – Member

So a bottle of vodka for under £10, 2l bottle of cider for £2.00.

Yes really expensive.

No that sounds fairly cheap by UK standards.

You’ll really don’t understand how the level of alcohol duty and what retailers charge customers through special deals are two separate issues, do you ?

UK alcohol duty is among the highest in the world – it’s really that simple and no amount of examples of special deal changes that simple fact.

irc

Isnt this a bit ‘Nanny State’ for the Tories? Or is it just that it only affects the plebs who don’t vote Tory anyway?

Sounds about right. On a personal level it won’t affect me either. I brew my own beer and rarely drink anything else at home other than malt whisky which is well above the 50p (or whatever) per unit.

I am uncomfortable with politicians raising the prices on products they don’t buy especially when they have their subsidised bars in the house of commons. IMO nobody buys cheap cider or Special brew because they like the taste. They buy it because they are poor and it is cheap.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

stevewhyte – Member

I love having a couple of pints in the pub with friends, min pricing would not ever be an issue for me regarding this even at £1 a unit.

What it would be is affect the cheap crap that most youngsters drink.

Some people can’t afford to go down the pub and get involved in rounds and/or because of family commitments want to have a beer at home, possibly with friends and family. Unlike you, it is very likely to be “an issue for” for them. Specially as their incomes are more likely to be going down in real terms than going up.

And since beer consumption doesn’t appear to have increased significantly in the last 35 years, and the consumption of wine, spirits, and alcopops, has, it would appear that the policy will effect the wrong target.

aracer
    Free Member

And since beer consumption doesn’t appear to have increased significantly in the last 35 years, and the consumption of wine, spirits, and alcopops, has, it would appear that the policy will effect the wrong target.

Because this new law will only make a difference to the price of beer? I hadn’t realised it was being so precisely targeted at just poor people who like a quiet pint at home 🙄

Clearly as your graph shows that it’s increased consumption of wine which is the major contributor to increased alcohol consumption, they should really be targeting all the people who have a couple of glasses of wine before heading out for a fight.

fazzer1963
    Free Member

It will not effect me the Tories only brought it up on Friday because of the negative reaction to the budget there is no such thing as a free lunch as people over the next day or so found out. The budget was like the old fashioned budgets of the Labour party their is no Conservative party they are the New New Labour party.

Drac

Ooh are we doing graphs?

Ok now about this one.

That graph shows since I stopped drinking regular consumption has dropped considerably, I knew I used to drink a lot but now I see just how much. Aren’t graphs great.

druidh
    Free Member

Some interesting stats on the Beeb pages based on the proposed 50p/unit..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-18060354

Shouldn’t affect me at all 🙂

binners

On reading that, the first thing that springs to mind is just what does a £3.19 bottle of Chardonnay taste like? 😯

stevewhyte
    Free Member

Really £1 per unit is what it should be.

binners

why?

Stoner
    Free Member

Well £2.28 is duty & VAT on the Duty before you’ve even got to the “good stuff”

Shipping costs about 20p a bottle, if you allow for a 100% retail mark up, that leaves about 29p for the wine, the bottle, the cork and the label.

Stonking good value I say!

29p wine
    29p mark up
    12p VAT
    20p shipping
    228p Duty + VAT
    = 318p

mintimperial

Unit cost should scale with how drunk you are. First few units £0.50 or something, then double it for every unit above. And once you’re drunk enough to buy a kebab they just chuck you in a cell to cool off. Or off a cliff if that’s too expensive, whatever, I don’t really care.

As you may be able to tell, I’m slightly tired of drunken chimp-people bellowing, pissing, and vomiting outside my house every sodding weekend. Please don’t get me wrong, I’m not a puritan, I’m more than happy for people have a drink. I’m very fond of beer, wine and single malts. Indeed, I am perfectly capable of getting thoroughly inebriated on occasion, but I’ve never in my life been smashed enough to urinate openly in the middle of the road at four in the afternoon with families walking past a few feet away – that’s just the most recent example of what we have to put up with, from this Saturday just past. This isn’t Nottingham or Cardiff city centre, I should add, this is a reasonably pleasant village in the middle of the Pennines, mostly inhabited by families and old people.

Putting up unit cost wouldn’t actually stop any of this, of course, because people don’t come to our pubs because they’re cheap, they come as part of a railway-based pub crawl, often on stag or hen dos, so they’re usually prepared to pay a fair whack to get themselves into a state. **** knows what anyone can do about it.

binners

but I’ve never in my life been smashed enough to urinate openly in the middle of the road at four in the afternoon with families walking past a few feet away

Dear God! Where the hell do you live? 😯

maccruiskeen

Dear God! Where the hell do you live?

anywhere with ‘Old People’ 🙂

mintimperial

Where the hell do you live?

Marsden. There’s this delightful institution called “The Ale Trail” whereby hordes of repellently drunk apes (and that’s just the hen parties) are conveyed along the Transpennine rail line from Stalybridge to Huddersfield, stopping at the villages along the way in order to slosh beer down their gaping maws. It started as a CAMRA thing and was fairly civilised for a while, but now it’s just overrun with lager-swilling simians. They usually have at least a couple in each village, and we’re the fourth stop along so they’re utterly wasted by the time they get to us. It’s been getting grimmer every year. I live between the station and the village centre so we get the worst of it, unfortunately. 🙁

Apart from the pissheads it’s a lovely place though, honest!

coffeeking
    Free Member

I don’t get it at all. I drink the odd cheapish wine (it’ll make the minimum priced wine about £4.60 a bottle IIRC) so it’s not exactly the end of the world for me – it’ll add about £4 a year to my budget. But I don’t see how it will affect trouble drinkers. Trouble drinkers, the folk who drink the REALLY cheap strong rubbish, won’t be caring about the price increase. It won’t stop alcoholics drinking. It won’t stop the kids on the street drinking. It might make them try harder to find more ways of getting the cash to pay for it, but I suspect that won’t be through jobs. Or they’ll find other drugs to “solve” their issues.

What will cheese me off is I often buy a cheap vodka or rum to put in coke for a once a week dabble at home, the price of that will now sky rocket.

If you want to make a big impact on alcohol consumption you’re going to have to put the minimum price up to something notably higher than 50p/unit, go for £1 and you may see some result, but not much. It might cheese off the general drinkers but at least it shows some balls and has a chance of working.

bwaarp
    Free Member

Why increase the cost of alcohol when we could just massively fine drunks and charge people for the treatment costs of alcoholic liver disease.

SteveWhytes proposal to massively tax all luxury items would cause the economy to implode in on itself and it penalises those of us who drink responsibly.

Viewing 33 posts - 41 through 73 (of 73 total)

The topic ‘Minimum alcohol pricing and units’ is closed to new replies.