• This topic has 19 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by bol.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • MiniDisc – quick, get your orders in fast!…
  • the-muffin-man

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-21297024

I thought they’d stopped making MiniDisc years ago!

coolhandluke
    Free Member

I’ll put it with my Betamax video recorder.

Cougar

Shame.

MD should have done well. It’s an obvious successor to cassettes, but never really got a firm enough footing with all the other formats kicking about at the same time. CD-R, DCC, DAT etc, and of course the mighty CD. I thought it was fantastic but never bought into it, which pretty much says it all really.

It was lossy by design too, meaning it was useless for data storage, which I always thought was a misstep; it’d have made a great data format in the 90s. (I’ve half a memory that they tried doing a data version, but it used different discs, or something. Have I made that up?)

avdave2

We still have 3 or 4 at work, they were a big improvement over tape for recording conferences.

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

wow, i remember drooling over the 1st gen walkman one in a hifi shop in the kings road when i lived that way. ended up buying a 2nd gen one when i left london, knoc down price from totenham court road, and it was still about 2-300quid. great format, really liked it… until mp3 for portability.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I had a couple, I thought it was good. Great quality sound, small size, and a recording one could be had for £100.

BiscuitPowered
    Free Member

I love(d) minidiscs! Had a minidisc head unit in my car until quite recently. Ideal for that purpose before ease of MP3 connectivity became the norm.

I still have a minidisc stereo much like the one pictured in that article, I use it as my PC sound output.

thekingisdead
    Free Member

Liked it myself too. Great in the car also as you couldn’t damage the discs unlike CDs. MP3 and IPod secured its demise, IMO, although it was never a massive hit before them either

tang
    Free Member

They were great for field recordings after years of cassettes/dat. I’ve got about 400 discs from recordings in India. Not sad to see them go, mainly because of the stupid Sony controls(sonic stage crap) that’s where it went wrong, not open enough. Edirol/Roland is where it’s at for solid state field recordings for me now.
    I think I still have a car stereo head unit in the loft plus 2 Walkmans (inc the 1gb version) and a separates unit.

Houns

MD user here. They are/were great. Hifi, head u it and personal player here

Junkyard
    Free Member

Stil got mine remember being able to put about 10 albums on a disc with little loss of sound quality

that said MP3s are miles better

Does anyone actually use tapes these days?

I still have my two Minidiscs and both still work

Northwind

Cougar – Member

(I’ve half a memory that they tried doing a data version, but it used different discs, or something. Have I made that up?)

2 actually- MD-Data, and Hi-MD. My brother still uses Hi-MD for a lot of pro audio stuff, he likes the substance of MD (I think he’s had too many thumb drives pinched too!)

I loved audio MD 🙁 Something very nice and tactile about the whole thing, it felt like a tape but it acted like a disc, very nice. Still got my players though haven’t used it for years.

mboy
    Free Member

I was a big fan, and was surprised it never caught on more than it did at the time. That said, I’m also incredibly surprised Sony didn’t stop making them years ago!

As a convenient, robust alternative to a Cassette Tape they were ace, and were so much more forgiving than CD’s. but as soon as the price of recordable CD’s went through the floor, it sealed the death of Minidiscs in my opinion, and that was long before everyone owned an MP3 player of some sort!

Northwind

Even recordable CD was still rubbish for portability, mind.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Yes odd one as it does have advantages over CD not least being all my MD still play.
    I guess it was just take up really

Frankenstein
    Free Member

I had portable player, old man had one of the originals and I had a MD deck for Hi-Fi stacking.

Great sound and less transport damage.

Replaced my cassettes perfectly.

Stupid Sony messed up with copyright and shoddy software.

Still have my Sony MDS JB920 🙂

twohats
    Free Member

I don’t, but there has been a massive resurgence of them in the punk/hardcore scene!

chewkw
    Free Member

Junkyard – Member

Yes, my father …. he is 83.

Kuco

I had one of the portable recoder/players. I just found putting music on them was a pain other than that I really liked it. I loved the way an AA battery would last all week.

bol

I was a student working in a Sony Centre when they first came out. I remember thinking is was the most amazing thing I’d ever seen. I never actually owned one though.

Another news story to make me feel old.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘MiniDisc – quick, get your orders in fast!…’ is closed to new replies.