Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 85 total)
  • Miles Per Gallon?
  • oneoneoneone
    Free Member

Why do we talk about a cars economy or lack of in MPG??

i have never worked in gallons only litres.

as the uk is “metric” and people get in trouble for selling weighed items in Lbs, why dont we talk about about a cars consumption in Miles per litres??

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

I’ll let you figure it out.

Simon

Surely it would be Km/litre if you did it metric?
    Car odometers still read in miles and road signs too in the UK.

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

we buy petrol in litres?? so why would it be such a silly question.

please share your knowledge!!

Because we refuse to change.

Do you fancy coming to the pub for a 0.5683 litre of beer?

Drac

Oh Simon you spoilt it.

druidh
    Free Member

Because the country is over-run with Luddites.

oneoneoneone misses the point completely

Simon

Sorry, I posted at the same time as SBZ!

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

i understand that a mile is an imperial measurement as is a gallon.

but we buy petrol in litres!! so why cant cars use it in litres not gallons!!

RealMan
    Free Member

Also,

50 miles per gallon = 21.2571854 kilometers per litre

Bigger numbers are better, everyone knows that.

Simon

I think in “metric” countries they measure car fuel economy in litres/100kilometres, that really would confuse folk in this country.

Drac

If we abolish miles what things do we need to change?

I’ll give you a hint.

Most are motoring based.

Junkyard
    Free Member

speedos are miles and it is larger figure than l/km.
    Older folk dont get l/km
    ps miles per litre is not quite metric now is it
    Mixing imperial and metric measures is a daft thing to do – what should we call these new units?
    EC means they do also list in km/l iirc

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

if any of you have kids around 16-24 and ask them what a gallon is.

i know its 8 pints which is about 4 litres.

RealMan
    Free Member

if any of you have kids around 16-24 and ask them what a gallon is if they care about fuel economy.

FTFY.

Drac

My kids are 7 year old understands gallons and litres, well a little as she is only 7.

Anyone in their late teens to mid twenties who don’t know what a gallon is needs a slap.

thegreatape
    Free Member

I am at this very moment getting 2.4 mpg out of the work car. That is about 10 mpl if that helps.

Junkyard
    Free Member

ask them if they drive cars based on fuel economy whilst you are at it will you 😉
    Perhaps you could ask them what % of the population they are as well? I iwll accept a fraction as your answer 😆

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

You mean that there are people out there who can’t instantly convert from imperial to metric units and vice versa in their heads? Thickos.

Junkyard
    Free Member

yes it is about 76% of the population or 2/7 ths

RealMan
    Free Member

You mean that there are people out there who can’t instantly convert from imperial to metric units and vice versa in their heads? Thickos.

😆

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

my dad didnt know what a gallon was and he is 45ish??

im 24 and i didnt know until i asked my grandad.

why would kids get taught about gallons? its a unused measurement that is only used my the motor industry (publicly)

Also i care about fuel economy. as well as giving it some “beans”

Drac

i know its 8 pints which is about 4 litres.

So if I offer you 16 pints of beer or 8 litres which would you prefer?

thegreatape
    Free Member

Not just the motor industry. Also used by large hat makers.

chvck
    Free Member

oneoneoneone, what age did you start driving a car? (assuming that you did), not sure what age I learnt about gallons but I’ve certainly known what they are since I started driving. (I’m 24 too)

Drac

PMSL @ greatape

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

I’ll take the 9 litres of beer thanks.

Drac – Moderator
    My kids are 7 year old understands gallons and litres, well a little as she is only 7.

Anyone in their late teens to mid twenties who don’t know what a gallon is needs a slap.

Hooray for your kids. My 10yr old daughter hasn’t got a clue what a gallon is, apart from the fact it’s a unit of measurement for liquids.

Why would anyone need a slap for not knowing anyway?

mansonsoul
    Free Member

I’m 23. I wasn’t taught any imperial measurements at school. I can’t believe how otherwise intelligent people can’t see how lovely and simple the metric system is, with all it’s advantages.

Drac

Sorry Zulu we only sell litres 8 litre containers or you can have 16 pints from our pint containe. 😀

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

So if I offer you 16 pints of beer or 8 litres which would you prefer

either, all the same to me. but a pint does sound better

16 pints is more than 8 litres.

Drac

Zulu I’m feeling kind you can have a free pint thanks to oneoneone, how kind am I.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

And you can have the other one. 😀

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

oneoneoneone, what age did you start driving a car? (assuming that you did), not sure what age I learnt about gallons but I’ve certainly known what they are since I started driving. (I’m 24 too)

i got my licence when i was 17. i knew it was a measurement of liquid, that was about it. i had other things to worry about at that time!! 😉

mikertroid
    Free Member

Aviation is largely imperial and Nautical based. Fuel generally based in Kg, but some operators choose lbs. Americans largely imperial, so things won’t change for a long time!

Fuel consumption measured in (on my type) Tonnes/Hr, but also refer to SFC which is Fuel burn/Air Nautical Mile (when considering max range issues).

I think most people measure car fuel consumption in miles/tank fill-up.

Drac

Ta Zulu. This ace I might open a pub but only serve for people that can’t understand measurements.

“Buy 8 pints for the price of only 16 litres”

Woody
    Free Member

my dad didnt know what a gallon was and he is 45ish??

im 24 and i didnt know until i asked my grandad.

PMSL @ that and the fact your dad says he didn’t know. At 24 , aren’t you a bit old to be asking your dad lots of questions? I bet he’s dreading the birds and bees talk 😉

Quite remarkable that you can use the internet and yet have the inability to google a conversion.

I’m about to fit my 1 1/8″ headset to my 56cm road bike with 26.0 bars

Drac

I’m 23. I wasn’t taught any imperial measurements at school. I can’t believe how otherwise intelligent people can’t see how lovely and simple the metric system is, with all it’s advantages.

I wasn’t really taught metric apart from length but having some intelligence I can use both. I also see the advantage of using both.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 85 total)

The topic ‘Miles Per Gallon?’ is closed to new replies.