Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Mildly retarded HTC Desire question
  • Surf-Mat
    Free Member

How do I get stuff like the "=" sign and other symbols? Bringing up numbers gives more options but still missing this and the "£" sign.

Hmmm….

ebygomm
    Free Member

On my HTC at bottom left of the keyboard it says 1/2, click that to get a second page of symbols

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

And on mine too – cheers!!

stumpy01

I struggled over that one for a few days until someone on here pointed my to the second page of symbols!!

D'oh!!

MrGreedy

You can also access symbols from the main qwerty keyboard by holding the relevant key down for a second – e.g. I just got that hyphen by holding down the n key. The symbols are in lighter grey type on each key.

sofaking
    Free Member

another q for those in the know.

how do you move the cursor back forward etc ?

stumpy01

how do you move the cursor back forward etc ?

I just use the optical trackball…..is occasionally a bit cak, but generally works OK.
    If it's miles out, then tapping on the screen normally puts you in the right area………

GrahamS

*smirks*

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Indeed the trackball is a bit daft – sometimes find myself randomly deleting text, but it does work. Still a lot quicker on a "proper" keyboard but it's better than the old style non qwerty system.

I find it especially good for viewing FLASH websites and love being able to watch BBC IPLAYER. I also find the camera very good and the removable, longer lasting batteries very handy. It's also nice to have the brilliant Google maps integrated and I love the SkyMap thing.

Sorry Graham, did you smirk for a reason?

Jamie
    Free Member

It was probably at the lack of iPhone users crapping all over the thread. Something certain HTC/Other phone users seem to do whenever someone has an iPhone query.

I could be wrong tho.

GrahamS

No, no reason at all.. *bites tongue*

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

No, no reason at all.. *bites pillow*

EFA to suit i-phone user… 😉

maxray
    Free Member

you not got an app for that Graham? 😀

I saw a bloke on the train with the new iphone.. looking over his shoulder as he text etc it was exactly the same as the desire, just seemed to have a slightly smaller screen?

GrahamS

Must. Not. Rise. To. Bait…

Jamie
    Free Member

Must. Not. Rise. To. Bait…

Hold steady soldier…..don't sink down to their level and start suggesting there is an app for said problem, putting 'i' in front of any old word, calling it a jesus phone or indeed posting an amusing image 8)

maxray
    Free Member

He struggled to write his message, possibly massive thumbs on his part…

It did look very nice and shiny though.

maxray
    Free Member

Still don't know what your initial "smirks" comment was Graham? Smirking because he couldnt find a character or because the phone has an optical trackball aswell as the touch screen?

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Want to load a Flash website?

i-can't

Want a spare battery?

i-won't-let-you

Want decent GPS/mapping?

i-struggle

Want to pay through the nose to keep up with the gang?

i-thank-you

GrahamS

Willpower. Failing…

CountZero

Google Maps; are those the ones that only work when you have a network connection?

uplink
    Free Member
    maxray
    Free Member

You could just answer rather than updating us on your state of will power.. perhaps you are posting on here rather than updating your FB status by accident? 😉

joemarshall
    Free Member

Being a nerd, I'm more and more appreciating the hackability of the desire. I now have a new operating system (android 2.2) with full (i.e. not mobile) flash support, and lots of nice little tweaks. And because the OS is open source, and hacking is semi-supported (HTC turn a blind eye to it, and even purportedly leak early test versions of code to hackers), there is a much bigger community of people modifying and messing around with it.

Like the battery meter at the top, now, rather than being just a bar, on my phone it is a little bar with a percentage number written on it, saying what percentage of battery is left, which is really useful when you're having a big day of phone, gps, web etc. use and need to know accurately how close you are to needing a charge.

I've even got a hacked pre-release radio update, which improves the signal, meaning I get 3g in my house now, which I don't think any other phone has ever got, you used to have to go about 200m up or down the road before you got it.

The magic of this is that because it is so hackable, doing these hacks is relatively user friendly – once you install a hack, there are even auto-updaters for the hacked versions, so you can get over the air updates, like you would for a normal unhacked phone. Magic.

Joe

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Ahh yes but don't forget the Apple "feature" called:

i-am.too.stupid.to.hack

Jamie
    Free Member

Surf-Mat:

i-am.too.stupid.to.hack

That statement does not even make sense.

GrahamS

You could just answer rather than updating us on your state of will power..

<AceVenturaVoice>Aaaaaaaaaaallllllllrighty then….</AceVenturaVoice>

My initial smirk was at folk who have previously claimed to be POWER-USERS*, that couldn't stand Apple-style mollycoddling and hand-holding, being unable to work the keyboard or the cursor controls of their "hey it's just as usable as an iPhone" device.

But I held back because I didn't want to dissolve into petty flamewar as Jamie said.

Then Serf-Mat came up with this nonsense:

I find it especially good for viewing FLASH websites and love being able to watch BBC IPLAYER. I also find the camera very good and the removable, longer lasting batteries very handy. It's also nice to have the brilliant Google maps integrated and I love the SkyMap thing.

Some points:
    – what "FLASH websites" exactly are you browsing there? Name them.
    – BBC iPlayer works fine on the iPhone. Thanks.
    – I believe the iPhone camera has overtaken the the HTC Desire, no?
    – Batteries: I believe the iPhone the longer lasting batteries these days. Okay they are not swappable but mleh.. is carrying a spare which you swap in that much better than carrying a spare that you plug in. Not a dealbreaker for me.
    – Google Maps is also built-into iPhones. Thanks.
    – SkyMap – hmm.. that'll be like a cheap version of SkyGazer app then?

Further:

Want decent GPS/mapping?

Eh? GPS is pretty accurate on my 3Gs and there is LOADS of "decent mapping" available: TomTom, CoPilot, MemoryMap, Viewranger, MotionX, Navigon etc etc

i-am.too.stupid.to.hack

Says the man who can't find the = sign on his keyboard 🙄

* for the record: joemarshall is such a power-user, though I suspect he can work the keyboard.

GrahamS

(by the way, if anyone is new to these flame threads then I'd just leave now, but failing that here is my standard disclaimer: I am NOT an Apple "fanboi", I just like my phone which happens to be made by Apple. I quite like Android-based phones too and have nothing against them at all. I do however really dislike it when people decide I am some kind of mindless corporate fashion-sheep for having an iPhone when little could be further from the truth)

maxray
    Free Member

Lol, why didn't you just say?

maxray
    Free Member

I too feel the same graham but the other way round. Looking forward to seeing if the iPad will convince me about Apple more or less.

uplink
    Free Member

I am NOT an Apple "fanboi"

oh yes you are
    You never miss a chance to defend Apple

🙂

GrahamS

You never miss a chance to defend Apple

No, mainly I defend a product which I own and like, and I defend myself from people asserting that I am an idiot for liking said product.

Apple, as a company, I don't particularly like. I'm a PC man and have never really got on with other Apple products. And I find some of their business practises really quite irritating.

Helios
    Free Member

At some point idiots like you will stop using "retarded" as a synonym for idiotic.

firestarter
    Free Member

Christ all this about a phone lol anyone would think it was a bike. Geeks 😉 typing this on a desire by the way #¥=@

disco_stu
    Free Member

i've been using swype a fair bit on my htc desire as an alterative to the normal text entry, got the hang of it and it feels loads quicker now.

stumpy01

Oh dear god make it stop!

These phone threads are so lame now they always end in petty squabbling.

monkeychild
    Free Member

Get an iphone its where its at dont ya know 😀 i do chuckle, because lets be honest iphone is the benchmark in the phone game. As for flash have it! Seriously i have flash blocker in firefox on my linux boxes as flash is crap.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Mildly retarded HTC Desire question’ is closed to new replies.