Home Forums Chat Forum Milan area for a week, ideas please

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Milan area for a week, ideas please
  • MadBillMcMad

We are flying in to Milan Malpensa Airport and have 7 nights, with no bikes in mid September .

My current thinking is one night at each end in Milan but after that I am not sure. Perhaps one of the lakes (but which) and then Bergamo or Parma for a couple of nights.

Your suggestions greatly appreciated.

chestrockwell

Defo worth going to one of the lakes. Orta is nice and can be reached on the train. Lecco too, my brother lives there and commutes to Milan.

MoreCashThanDash

Train to Turin. Much prettier than Milan imho

ivnickkate
    Free Member

Yes to Bergamo, very nice indeed. We also went to Intra on Lake maggiore, little town with central square , brilliant botanical garden at villa taranta but possibly too quiet then.

BillMC

http://THE FRIENDS PUB MILANO, Milan – Varesine

Decent cask pint, friendly, very nice vibe. Sounds awful but it’s the best bar I came across on a few trips there.

DougD

Some areas of Milan are quite nice, but the best part about it is how well connected it is to loads of other amazing parts of Italy. Lecco is quite nice, there are some great walks in the hills just outside it. I didn’t rate Como particularly highly. Turin is lovely, and you’re only an hour on the train from Bologna too.

This is a good microbrewery in Milan if you’re around Lambrate: https://birrificiolambrate.com/brewpub/

TiRed

Alfa Romeo museum is excellent. Mrs TiRed doesn’t care about cars, and loved it.

https://www.museoalfaromeo.com/en-us/Pages/MuseoAlfaRomeo.aspx

kormoran
    Free Member

Train to Turin. Much prettier than Milan imho

This, very much this. Turin is cool, there are some amazing old trams around the city that are really cool to ride, lots of cafes etc to just chill. Amazing views down some of the roads to the southern alps in the evening sun. There’s a churchy thing on top of a massive hill with crazy views, and a rack and pinnion train up the hill (or bus).

Also a funky underground train.

Definitely worth a day trip

slackboy

I’m doing this as I type. Sat outside the castello in Milan. We’re heading to Bologna and then Florence for a couple of nights.

Milan is great. Duomo is amazing and brera area and canals are really lively. Could easily spend another day or two in Milan and hit the museums

slackboy

PXL_20240831_181156023

scuttler

Serie A football. Loads of teams and some great stadiums.

martinhutch

See you there! We’re not actually staying in Milan, just flying in, and heading up to Lugano and Como, then across towards the Dolomites, Padua and Bergamo. Love Bologna too, but we’ve been there a couple of times already.

MadBillMcMad

Thanks all, I’d not considered Turin at all and it looks like we could go directly from the Milan airport.

That’s now made me think we might pop down to Genoa and save the lakes for another time and give them a longer visit.

MoreCashThanDash

This, very much this

Possibly the first time anyone has ever agreed with me on Turin. Was completely underwhelmed by Milan after a couple of days in Turin.

Agree about the hill/church, and the monument to the team killed in the plane crash, worth a visit.

Duggan

I really liked Milan. The Navigli district which is just outside the city centre is really nice and well worth a visit.

alpin
    Free Member

Parma is nice, but not super “wow” considering Bologna is just a little further away.

I find the Italian lakes are nice to look at but stressful places to stay. Hemmed in due to the geography, crowded, traffic jams, expensive…..

scuttler

I find the Italian lakes are nice to look at but stressful places to stay.

much less so outside August I’d expect.

Vicenza is a classy spot.

chakaping

Bergamo is one of my favourite places that I’ve visited.

Wasn’t that impressed with Milan, was cool going up on top of the Duomo though.

Nobby

Was there for a couple of day trips recently whilst staying in Como.

Como itself is worth a trip – about 40mins on the train.

If Spas are of interest then this is rather nice:   https://www.qcterme.com/en/milano/qc-termemilano

As has been said, even if you’re not a car fan, the revamped Alfa Romeo museum is gear – even Mrs Nobby liked it & she’s about as far from a car person as it gets.

The San Siro might be worth a visit as they’re retiring the old girl – it’s iconic but only really for what’s gone on in it over the years.

Even if you’re not going to use the trains, Milan Central is a fascinating station too.

plumber
    Free Member

Verona is perfect for one day

Bologna is lovely

But you should visit the last supper if you are in Milan

johndoh
    Free Member

Without wanting to put a downer on it for you (Milan is a beautiful place), but keep your valuables very close – the pickpocketing is epidemic, especially around tourist hotspots including public transport hubs.

But when you are in Milan, you should visit San Bernardino alle Ossa for the side chapel decorated with human bones and skulls.

MadBillMcMad

Thanks again everyone. I might try and persuade her to get to the alfa museum but she isn’t convinced. On a similar note we went to the Halve Maan brewery in Bruges for a tour and that was a real success, despite MrsMcMads reluctance.

They do like displaying their dead in Italy. If you are ever in Palermo the catacombes are amazing.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/yeAKggCBbP7dG3Hq7

choppersquad
    Free Member

We were taken round the Monumental Cemetary when we visited Milan where I seem to remember the Campari family are laid to rest. The tombs are amazing and it’s well worth a visit.

kormoran
    Free Member

i dont think the lingotto building in turin has been mentioned – the one with the race track on the roof, that was in the Italian Job. The fiat factory is long gone but you can visit the art gallery and walk around the track

steve-g
    Free Member

On the fast train I think it’s 1 stop to Bologna which is nice, then 1 more stop to Florence which is amazing. Definitely worth a day in Florence, then when you see the crowd of people all walking out of the town an hour or so before dusk follow them out of town and up the massive hill to watch the sunset over the town.

MadBillMcMad

Proposed to my wife in Florence. How many romantic places are the there? I chose in the tent in the municipal campsite. And she will also say a day late, the previous night spent at a heavenly B&B in a vineyard up in the hills.

He how, lasted 33 years so far!

MadBillMcMad

Thanks all.

Turin has been fabulous. Really chilled place, great food. Was really excited to get to La Pista 500 and enjoyed the wander around.

Bergamo tomorrow.

We’ve been very lucky, that **** Boris just skirted Turin making it feel damp. Bologna would have been very different

kormoran
    Free Member

Excellent, glad you enjoyed it!

MoreCashThanDash

Really glad Turin worked for you. 25 years since we were there, would like to go back.

IdleJon

Wasn’t that impressed with Milan, was cool going up on top of the Duomo though.

I still remember being broken after hauling my one year old up there – she’s 21 in a few months!

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.