Viewing 24 posts - 121 through 144 (of 144 total)
  • Middleburn external cranks due in this week!
  • Seamus
    Free Member

Just fitted mine tonight, didn't notice a narrow Q factor, there's a good 10mm gap either side. I used 2 spacers drive side 1 non with a Hope BB, 68mm shell. What did middleburn recomend?

I know what you mean about the retro appearance but they look good with a steel frame.

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

i've only about 3-4mm either side, 68mm shell, 2 spacers on drive side, one on non drive side – which is what i was recommended. guess it may come down the the frame design.

matters not though i guess – fits, spins and looks good 🙂

am currently loading photos (taking ages)

but yeah, look good on my steel frame too 🙂

danridesbikes
    Free Member

photos? 😉

mrmo
    Free Member

hungry monkey, did you have a chainset on the frame prior to the middleburn? if so, what was it and can you remember how much clearance there was between crank and chainstay. Just thought this might give an idea of how narrow the cranks are.

rootes1

they do look a bit naff.. there other cranks look fine though

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

had deores on previously, and have also had some sq taper middleburns on it. doubt i'd have had more than 10mm before…

just been out on a quick ride, even with my thinner innertube chainstay protector its rubbing on it.

cranks feel nice and stiff though (and i've never noticed that before).

having problems uploading photos to fotopic, but am about to upload to facebook, and will post a link.

rootes1 – they're just RS8 cranks attached to an axle (in essence), so if previous ones look fine, there is no reason for these not to… imo the black ones look a lot better than the silver ones though.

(hopefully) photos in 10 mins.

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

oh FFS… can't upload to fotopic, facebook normal uploader won't work as for some reason the updated version of java won't install on my computer, and now even the simple uploader on facebook won't work…!!!

rootes1

rootes1 – they're just RS8 cranks attached to an axle (in essence), so if previous ones look fine, there is no reason for these not to… imo the black ones look a lot better than the silver ones though.

they looked a bit 'rounder' arm looks smoother with less sharp lines

having said that still oooks like the best option at the mo for a xc double

RS8

new

they do look a little rounder, perhaps the same colour bolts don't help

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

right…

public album here (i think)

qcamel
    Free Member

After following this thread I have taken the plunge and bought a set of cranks and rings.. All set up now, running well and looking good…However this evening I was making adjustments and found my crank puller that was previously used with my Race Face cranks does nit work. At least I think not, but did not fancy forcing my new toys…

Anybody know which crank puller I should be using???

Seamus
    Free Member

qcamel – Member
    Anybody know which crank puller I should be using???

They are self extracting bolts

qcamel
    Free Member

Excuse my stupidity but how should I use them to remove crank?

qcamel
    Free Member

Ahhhhh, moment of clarity… Just spend 10 mins in the garage and found how ingenius the self extraction is. Simple and brilliant…Thanks for the heads up..

tank_rider
    Free Member

Think I'll stick with my RS7 square tapers which are 8 years old and has had 5 years of trials abuse and the rest on my xc bike and are now on my commencal supreme mini dh. All in weight of that setup is 798g including an e.thirteen guide ring in 32t and UN52bb! Whack in a lighter BB and they will be lighter than the new HT2 versions.

UK-FLATLANDER

Just fitted some to my 5 Spot – great looking crank, but be warned my first self-extracting bolt was missing a washer and seized – all fixed now and looking sweet

heihei

Any pics flatlander? Am thinking of some for my 5 spot.

Hadge
    Free Member

My boss has fitted these to his Ibis and they are bloody amazing! They just spin so freely it's unreal. It's an expensive set-up but well worth it and gets rid of the stupid, pathetic, unreliable HT2 crap!!!! I'll be getting mine soon 😀

specializedneeds

Leaving brand loyalty, supporting a British company and being different aside is there something Middleburn external cranks offer that Shimano XT don't? Genuine question (not trolling!).

Hadge
    Free Member

I have no brand loyalty and have never used Middleburn cranks only their chainrings. The arms are as stiff as XT's from what I gather. The older sealed BB's are just so more reliable than HT2 and the UN71/72's just kept spinning so sweet and smooth forever.

specializedneeds

Yes I'm a fan of the sqaure taper too, but it's the HTII style I'm asking about. 🙂

qcamel
    Free Member

I fitted them to my 5 Spot DW but find they are so close to the drive side rear triangle, at times they touch under heavy load, but a beautiful crank, far superior to my previous race face

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

qcamel

i had same issue.

talk to middleburn, they were very good on phone. mine are getting a new axle put in (although its taking them ages to actually send it back to me).

qcamel
    Free Member

Ahh, thankyou. I guessed it was a peculiarity of the Turner. I eased away some of the inside tip of the crank with the Dremmal and solved it, although grinding my new cranks was a little upsetting….. 😯

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

aye, that was something i tried to avoid 😉

Viewing 24 posts - 121 through 144 (of 144 total)

The topic ‘Middleburn external cranks due in this week!’ is closed to new replies.