Viewing 14 posts - 81 through 94 (of 94 total)
  • mid life crisis car on a shoestring
  • smiththemainman
    Free Member

Just got an 02 Cooper S 60K miles FSH 1 owner £2400, immaculate goes like stink and puts a smile on my face everytime I get half an hour to nip out!! £120 fully comp 47 year old full no claims. Mid life crisis at bay for now 😀 if the crisis returns i`m told a supercharger pulley kit will help!!!

flyingmonkeycorps

Make sure you fit in a TF if you go for that, I didn’t (I just fit in the MX5).

johndoh
    Free Member

TT would be neither fun nor cheap.

A Mk2 would be great fun. Wouldn’t be cheap though.

flange
    Free Member

Was going to suggest an S2000 but I’ve just had a look and they’ve rocketed in value. Maybe a scoot on Ebay might turn one up, but generally they’re bombproof and pretty quick. Not great if you’re tall though.

You’d pick up a cheap non-S boxster for around that and parts aren’t ‘too’ bad for them these days.

TT isn’t a bad shout, Mk1’s aren’t that bad if you fit them with a Haldex controller. Parts are reasonable as you can go to GSF or EuroCarParts and they’re not bad to work on. Anything french or Italian will be a pain in the arse to work on.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Well looked after mk1 TT’s are quite frankly Ace.

The 225 can suffer with coil pack issues but they’re piss easy to fit and cost £20odd. Don’t think about the DSG box on the 225 because sometimes the mechtronic thingy goes pop, but they can be changed easy and cost about £120 if you look around. The hardtops probably the one to go for if you intend to carry a bike (my mate carries his windsurfing kit inside his not problem with the seat flat) if not then the roadsters pretty damn fine car. Also if you look at a roadster get the one with the manual hood closure system not the auto one. Shocks on the front can wear because they’re front end heavy and speed bumps tend to take aim at the front wheels. Discs and pads you can get for £75 a side. Check the hood around both door/window junctions because they wear here. Other than that parts are cheap because EuroCarParts and if you fancy it VW/Audi mean all stuff is easily available. Also the haldex 4wheel drive will need checking out to make sure the oils been changed on service intervals. Also another thing, front radiators may need a flush or replacing (depending on age and condition) they sludge up if not serviced and cost £200, also the oil radiator under the front bumper may need checking for no other reason than why not.
    But, but these are very good cars and a lot are second car family loved and looked after.
    Also, if you look at the roadster you can get a bike on the back via a saris bones rack easy, they just fit in the seal behind the hood and under the rear bumper splitter.

Can’t honestly think why you wouldn’t think about a TT, plenty available for your budget and if looked after big mileage shouldn’t be an issue.

pondo

Its not a mid life crisis car unless its a money pit. Rules is rules

Ah, I never knew – well, a dabble on autotrader has seen me giving consideration to old 328Is and Golf VR6s. They should fit the bill, shouldn’t they?

legend
    Free Member

Can’t honestly think why you wouldn’t think about a TT

because after having a MX-5 a TT would feel duller than just walking instead?

bikebouy
    Free Member

Maybe, but he’s had an MX5.. And TT’s do handle rather well, ok track cars they ain’t but what is..

vondally
    Free Member

It does NOT need to be fast, just fun.
    It is NOT to be a money pit.
    It does 1-2000 miles pa.

Lupo GTI

TheFlyingOx

VX220?

Not for £3000 or less.

hooli

Not sure if it would come in under budget but what about a Nissan 350z? Big engine, simple to work on so should be reasonable to run (except fuel) and if it doesn’t put a grin on your face then very little will.

flange
    Free Member

350z’s are still around the 6k mark, decent ones go for a fair bit more. Awesome car though, I loved mine

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Al, what are the costs involved in joining a classic car rental club? Your annual mileage is so low that it’s barely worth keeping and maintaining a car. With a classic car rental you could get the choice of cars and none of the liability of long term low use ungaraged ownership.

Viewing 14 posts - 81 through 94 (of 94 total)

The topic ‘mid life crisis car on a shoestring’ is closed to new replies.