Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 107 total)
  • Are 650b and 29er that much better than 26er or not really ??
  • chiefgrooveguru

There is no characteric that can be achieved with one wheel that can’t also be achieved using either of the other common sizes.

Not true. They’re all different but many characteristics will overlap. There’s no way a 29 can be made to feel like a 26, just like a 65 deg HA can’t be made to feel like a 70 deg HA.

If a bike rides well for your needs and you enjoy it then I’d continue enjoying it rather than buying a new bike because you think something about it is wrong. If you’re not enjoying it then I’d ask if it’s the bike that’s the real reason before buying a new one!

LeeW

I used to stay in Elgin all the time when I visited Lossie, shame I don’t go there as often. Soz

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

If a bike rides well for your needs and you enjoy it then I’d continue enjoying it rather than buying a new bike because you think something about it is wrong. If you’re not enjoying it then I’d ask if it’s the bike that’s the real reason before buying a new one!

Yeh, that’s it pretty much.

I’ve never ridden one, but it’s pretty clear to see that 650b is just the same as 26″. If you don’t enjoy riding your current 26″ bike, then you won’t enjoy the 650b version either.

29″ are totally different though. But if you’re just bombing round trail centres allday, then I doesn’t make any difference.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I’ve never ridden one, but it’s pretty clear to see that 650b is just the same as 26″. If you don’t enjoy riding your current 26″ bike, then you won’t enjoy the 650b version either.

I’ve never had a curry in India but I reckon it’s the same as the ones you get in sainsbury….

If you want to know how a bike feels ride it, riding my Blur LTc 26 and 650 is different. It’s obvious that people making sweeping generalisations about wheel size are making it all up…

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I’ve never had a curry in India but I reckon it’s the same as the ones you get in sainsbury….
    If you want to know how a bike feels ride it, riding my Blur LTc 26 and 650 is different. It’s obvious that people making sweeping generalisations about wheel size are making it all up…

😀

Seriosuly though, put on a set of high rise wide bars and your bike will feel different. Only slightly mind you.

hora
    Free Member

Renton you’ve owned more bikes than me. Like women there will always be a better looker out there. But you need to settle down dude and have trail babies.

When your Mondeo goes wrong when will you be getting rid of that? Stop dude. Savour life.

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

renton: How tall are you?

If u r not in a hurry to buy u r welcome to try mine out, it will b ready to roll early February.

I’m in Monifieth, Angus – so not that far….

andyrm
    Free Member

I’ve ridden the same bike with 650b and 26″ wheels, as well as several other “newer” 650b versions of 26″ that I’ve liked.

All have been faster than the 26″ version for the kind of riding I do.

For me, speed is the thing that interests me, rather than playfulness, “fun feel” or whatever, so as has been said, its about picking what best suits your needs/wants. But don’t get sucked into the usual “no different”, “lizard rulers of the bike industry” hype. Fact is, 650 IS different in the way it rides.

Bregante

hora – Member
    Renton you’ve owned more bikes than me.

eshershore
    Free Member

For hard tails 29″ makes a lot of sense, although for shorter riders it can cause fitting issues, trek seem to offer some of their bikes (same model)in 650/29 depending on frame size.

For full suspension 650 makes a lot of sense

I am happy with my carbon fibre 29’er for trail riding, its very fast, surprisingly capable on rough ground and also very fun to ride. When you get used to the larger wheel, you learn to really exploit the momentum

I’ve borrowed a 650 carbon fibre hard tail with similar spec for a week, rode on my usual trails and the only thing I found was it slower than my 29’er whilst not being any more ‘fun’ to ride

mikewsmith
    Free Member

My full sus 29r makes a lot of sense, why pigeon hole stuff?

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

On a 29 it felt like a pavement, on the 26 a tricky slippy rooty section.

so now a trail that was challenging is not – what was the point of that ?

mattjg
    Free Member

so now a trail that was challenging is not – what was the point of that ?

If it helps, I’ve also ridden that trail on a 29er (ht) and in the wet I still find it quite tricky.

Hmm perhaps that says more about my riding than the bike.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

I’ve got a Salsa Horsethief fs 29er.
    I’ve ridden other bikes, 26 ht and fs, 69er, fat bikes etc, all similar spec levels.

The Salsa is the best. I ride around the 7 stanes, Laggan, local stuff like the Pentland Hills etc. It’s fast, comfy, gets over obstacles the best and I do my best riding on it. It can manual, jump and turn just fine.

Alex

I’ve ridden my 29er FS over 3,500KMs on all sorts of trails. It’s 130mm/110mm. I also have a 26inch NukeProof Mega. They’re both fun, the Mega is probably better suited to about 10% of the stuff we ride (mainly outside the UK), the 29er has been brilliant everywhere else. The high water mark of how hard they can be ridden is me. The best upgrade I had was a second visit to Tony Doyle.

Going from 26 to 29 is pretty easy. Going the other way takes a while. They do ride differently, and it’s well worth demo-ing a few to see if they work for you. For a trail bike, I think my Pyga is brilliant. Is it because it has big wheels? No Idea.

Still I’ve just ordered a Bird Aeris so I can have two bikes quite similar. So you probably shouldn’t heed any of my advice!

tymbian
    Free Member

I had a 26 before my current bike and was aware of the potential marketing hype. I read a lot of reviews before I chose a 2014 Specialized Enduro 29 ( these are currently reduced from £2600 and can be had for £1800. I ride a lot with my son who’s 19 & fit as a fiddle I’m 49 and overweight. He tells me slow down as he struggles to keep up whereas before we were evenly matched. I can’t persuade you what to buy but don’t discount 29ers.

As mentioned before Rose bikes, YT Industries and Canyon all offer Value for money but there are a lot of 2014 bikes on sale at the moment.

JCL
    Free Member

There’s no way a 29 can be made to feel like a 26, just like a 65 deg HA can’t be made to feel like a 70 deg HA.

What 29″ have you ridden that were made to feel (handle?) like 26″? Give a 29″ a 380mm BB height and it’ll start to handle a lot like a 26″ as long as wheelbase and angles are comparable. Say 2 degrees slacker HA on the 26″.

Of course the 29″ will still have lower rolling resistance but that’s another story.

chakaping
    Free Member

For hard tails 29″ makes a lot of sense

Agreed. I was so impressed by mine that I had a hunch a full-sus 29er would be even more awesome on my local trails (quite bumpy).

Turns out I was right, happily.

FWIW I might prefer 650b if I lived somewhere that the riding was mostly tight and twisty or mega techy.

coogan
    Free Member

I sold my 5 Spot last year. Bought a 650b. Thaaaaaaaat’s right. I made the change. I like the change and I’m sticking with the change. Pow! Back of the net.

renton
    Free Member

What did you go for coogan and how does it compare to the five spot ?

singlespeedstu

Have you considered a red bike?
    I heard they’re really fast.
    Or maybe a blue bike.
    I heard they can entice you to ride more.

julians
    Free Member

I’ve just swapped from a 26 inch Ibis mojo HD (the frame + shock is for sale if anyone wants it) to a 650b Orbea Rallon.

Theres no doubt about it the Rallon absolutely flies on rough downhills that would have had the Mojo Hd feeling a bit rough. I very much doubt that is solely down to the larger wheel size,but its probably a contributory factor, I expect its a combination of everything. What I cant detect though is any downside to the larger wheels, apart from the cost of buying new wheels ,forks etc.

Lionheart
    Free Member

My 29ner is easier to ride faster on faster tracks (and the road), it’s black. My 26 HT is more fun in the naggery bits, it’s white but it might all be down to geometry.
    Ps my yellow bike is the most fun to look at and silver the smartest…

dirtydog
    Free Member

I would have to go 650b,don’t think I would notice the 1.5″ extra……….correct me if I’m wrong STW ers

Ta, the difference between 26 and 27.5 is 25 mm, not 1.5 inches.

deadkenny
    Free Member

mattjg – Member
    If it helps, I’ve also ridden that trail on a 29er (ht) and in the wet I still find it quite tricky.

Hmm perhaps that says more about my riding than the bike.

I crashed on that trail the other day on a 26 HT. Clearly the bike is wrong. Not the fact it was sloppy, I picked the wrong line and overbalanced crashing down off the side 😉

But seriously, ridden it for years on a 26, FS and HT and it’s a right laugh. If it was smooth and simple I just wouldn’t ride it. Not sure 29ers smooth that one out though. The main advantage is probably just in rolling through the ditch into the car park 😉

Anyway, I ride weekend warrior stuff, mostly with people on 26s and a couple of 650b. Then I ride evening rides, more xc or less “gnar” trails, and half the people there ride 29ers and I’m on my 26. The only disadvantage I feel I have is when we hit a bit of flat steep fireroad climb and the 29ers cruise up the hill past me. Once we hit the twisty trails the field is levelled again.

Trekster

Just become a 650 convert. Swapped my 10yr old(gave to son)Kona Dawg for a RM Altitude(cheap one!)and there is definitely a difference. Whether it is the wheel size or just the package as a whole it definitely is faster, smoother and going to get me into trouble(injured)soon 🙄
    I suspect my Blue Pig may become redundant…..

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Just went out on a 29, a 650b and a 26 today. Recently bought a 650b frame as well, prefer the 26. I found cornering much easier than even the 650b bike and any difference in roll over could be negated by just attacking the trail more confidently.

Still, maybe it just takes a while to adjust to the wheel size?

postierich
    Free Member

Recently changed to 650b and I,m a lot more confident on tecky slow stuff on the downs!
    First ride of 2015 today and I got loads of KOMs 🙂

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

chiefgrooveguru – Member
    I have the full range… bmx, 24” retro dh, 26” ht and fs with 650b (27.5” is incorrect) wheels to go in them and 29er ht and fs.
    650b is incorrect. Should your 29ers be called 700c?

I think the point being made here is that 29er wheels actually are 29inch whereas 27.5 wheels actually come up at just over 27.1 .

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Swapped my 10yr old(gave to son)Kona Dawg for a RM Altitude(cheap one!)and there is definitely a difference

I’d hope so, I remember demoing one of those dawgs back then and I was less than impressed then, stuff moves on in 10 year shocker 🙂

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Wheel size definately doesn’t make up for travel though does it – check out 1.12 to 1.18.

First bike is a 650b with 160mm of travel, 2nd is 650b with 140 front 125 rear, second is 29er with 110mm on the rear.

Is it me or does the 29er looks no where near as composed?

chiefgrooveguru

I think the point being made here is that 29er wheels actually are 29inch whereas 27.5 wheels actually come up at just over 27.1 .

If you assume that a 26 wheel is actually 26″ in diameter (it isn’t, unless you use tiny tyres), then a 29 wheel is actually 28.5″.

coogan
    Free Member

@renton I bough a Pivot Mach 6 and I bloody love it. How does it compare, well I do think it’s better than my 5 Spot (and I loved that bike, in fact both I had) but difficult to say it’s better because of yada yada as there is almost 5 years of difference in terms of age, design etc, not a fair comparison. One was alu and the Pivot is carbon fibre, so it’s lighter, stiffer etc.

But over all I’m faster on the Pivot, it does carry its speed better and its an absolute hoot to ride. The reason I looked at the Mach 6 is its a DW link like he 5 spot and I’m a big fan of DW links.

But, as always, you gotta test test test! I I tested it, fell for it, bought it.

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

chiefgrooveguru – Member
    If you assume that a 26 wheel is actually 26″ in diameter (it isn’t, unless you use tiny tyres), then a 29 wheel is actually 28.5″.

A 29er wheel with a 2.25 tyre on it will actually measure 29 inches .

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

To be fair renton, it sounds like you need a road bike. Less faff, no driving to trails, just ride straight from, your door. Much cheaper and they last alot longer aswell. A road bike is the bike half of mountain bikers actually need.

chiefgrooveguru

A 29er wheel with a 2.25 tyre on it will actually measure 29 inches

The 27.5 wheels with Trail King 2.2 tyres on my full-sus measure 28″. The 26 wheels on my hardtail with Rubber Queen 2.2 (same tyre, different name) measure 27″.

PrinceJohn

My take on the whole wheel size argument is that 29ers for taller riders & long distance mile munching, 650b for more smiles than miles.

chestrockwell

My take on the whole wheel size argument is that 29ers for taller riders & long distance mile munching, 650b for more smiles than miles.

I’d call you wrong then! On anything other then tame arsing about my 29″ FS is more fun (IMO).

chestrockwell

It’s actually not at all though.

29″ are totally different though. But if you’re just bombing round trail centres allday, then I doesn’t make any difference.

Yes it does.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

It’s actually not at all though.

What sort of differences do the 650b wheels make do you think?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 107 total)

The topic ‘Are 650b and 29er that much better than 26er or not really ??’ is closed to new replies.