Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Micro sd cards, iTunes and samsung phones.
  • zippykona

I would like to put my iTunes library on my galaxy s4 using a micro sd card. A 64 gb should do the job but a 128 only costs a couple of quid more. Is there any down side to the larger card. I’m thinking 120 cassette v 90 minute cassette. Sure the music fits but the sound is worse.
    The samsung evo plus is well reviewed any real life experiences are all they all much of a muchness?
    How easy is it to transfer my iTunes library from my mac book to the card?
    Asa always no technical terms as I am a complete tech numpty.
    Ta.

CountZero

Why would the sound be worse? It’s ones and zeros, digital, not analogue, subject to deformation and stretching of a strip of plastic tape.
    It’s no different to having a 1 or 2Tb hard drive instead of a 500Gb, and 256Gb cards are available, 512Gb for a price, and ultimately 1-2Tb, the expected limit of SDXC card capacity.
    And you should be able to select your entire iTunes library, then drag and drop it onto the card: select all, drag onto the card icon on your desktop.
    a Sandisk 128Gb Class 10 from mymemory.co.uk would do, it’s £40, avoid eBay and Amazon, there are many fakes around, and they’re very convincing, until you find they’re only 16Gb or whatever.
    7dayshop would be another good source.

cbike
    Free Member

google play music is how I transferred an itunes library to android – uploads from itunes to google and then you can download from online to the card. and store the tracks there.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Does the phone support the 128,worth a check

CountZero

Does the phone support the 128,worth a check

I did wonder that, some devices can only handle a 64, some, like Fiio players can cope with a pair of 128’s, but they do firmware updates every so often to cope with greater capacity.
    Would that be possible in Android?

zippykona

Phone spec says 64 gb is supported. Is there any way of knowing whether the card is genuine,who should I be buying from?
    The Samsung EVO plus had 48 ms. What does that mean?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

48ms will be a measure of access speed, for music it’s not really an issue, most modern cards will be able to play/record 1080 video so music isn’t really going to challenge that.
    For genuine? I buy from actual real shops normally, I buy cards very infrequently.
    Size constraints due to software will be fixed by firmware if they choose to any hardware limitations not. But I’d only be buying the card they say they support.

zippykona

I’ve dragged a song from iTunes to the micro card.
    Where should I look for it on my phone?It’s not in files, music or Google play music.

darrell
    Free Member

if you dig into the itunes folder you should see the original files (if you ripped them from cds)

just drag and drop the mp3s or whatever they are

jimdubleyou

This was the #1 reason I went back to iPhones after a foray into Android world.

It was a massive ball-ache. You’d think it would be a simple as dropping the files onto the card, but because of the way Android is sandboxed now I couldn’t get anything to read/use those files. You had to import into the media library using some crappy desktop software.

In the end I used Google Play Music, which sat on the desktop and picked up any new iTunes material and delivered it to the phone. But that doesn’t use the same media library that everything else uses – it assigns each track a number in it’s own folder.

Cougar

It was a massive ball-ache. You’d think it would be a simple as dropping the files onto the card, but because of the way Android is sandboxed now I couldn’t get anything to read/use those files.

Dunno what the problem was, but that’s exactly what I do (in fact, these days I just wedge a USB pendrive straight into the phone, no PC needed). I can only assume it was a manufacturer restriction, it’s certainly not an Android one. Either that or it was using some sort of hooky iTunes format as a source that it objected to. I wonder if that’s the problem ZK is having also?

I’d have said it’s actually a downside of the iPhone (for me personally), having to use iTunes to ‘manage’ your music all the time rather than just having direct access to the file system.

zippykona

I’ve only had a quick play during my lunch. Will try when I get home. The people from apple made me take my Samsung software off my mac book as they reckoned it was stopping my USBs working(!) It didn’t so I’ll put the software back on and drag and drop straight to the phone.
    Edit ..apart from my USBs don’t work! Will have to go back to inserting card in the slot.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

This is mostly why I use Spotify. Much simpler

Cougar

Wi-Fi? Can you create a Samba share on the Mac and just browse to it from the phone?

zippykona

The song seemed to transfer across but as yet I don’t know where to!
    My plan b is to buy a 64 gb iphone 4s and use that as an ipod. Can I download my entire itunes library (including stuff not purchased from apple) without connecting to my mac book?

jimdubleyou

I can only assume it was a manufacturer restriction, it’s certainly not an Android one.

Could well have been – it was a Sony. I never could find out where to drop the music so it was automagically picked up by the Walkman app.

Don’t think it was a format issue, but you never know.

We’re not moving from Macs in the house, so iTunes is here to stay with all it’s foibles.

CountZero

Phone spec says 64 gb is supported. Is there any way of knowing whether the card is genuine,who should I be buying from?

See my original comment. I’ve already pointed you in the right direction.

zippykona

With a bit of time on my hands I could see that dragging the song to the chip wasn’t working.
    Downloaded Kies and transferred song to device. Still can’t bloody find it. Looked in downloads , music and play music.
    If apple can make their devices connect to my mac (samsung phone connects no problem) I will get an ipod touch as it’s so easy once it does work.

Cougar

What’s the source format? Is it a standard, or something Appley? Can you export it as mp3 first?

Cougar

I’ve never used it, but DoubleTwist might work for you here.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.doubleTwist.androidPlayer

steveoath
    Free Member

On android here. Use 128gb cards with no difficulty. My player is Poweramp. In the settings you specify where your library is. I created a folder on the SD card called music then dumped all my tunes in it. Job done. Will play aac format btw.

http://www.poweramp.com

Cougar

My player is Poweramp.

Likewise. It’s ace.

theflatboy
    Free Member

Likewise, and no problem having and playing music on and from a micro SD – as above, just tell it where to look for the music and you’re done basically.

stumpy01

jimdubleyou – Member

It was a massive ball-ache. You’d think it would be a simple as dropping the files onto the card, but because of the way Android is sandboxed now I couldn’t get anything to read/use those files. You had to import into the media library using some crappy desktop software.

jimdubleyou – Member

Could well have been – it was a Sony. I never could find out where to drop the music so it was automagically picked up by the Walkman app.

I didn’t have this issue. I’ve got a Sony Xperia T & just created a folder on the SD card called ‘Music’, dragged all the files from my laptop to that location & the Walkman app finds it no problem.
    It also finds music in other locations, so it not like I did anything special. The Walkman app just trawls through folders looking for music folders.

Bloke at work has got an Xperia Z3 compact & did the same thing, which also works fine; I know because he asked me how I stored music on my phone (he knew I had a Sony) and I told him what I did. He’s done the same and it’s fine.

steveoath
    Free Member

Wrong link for Poweramp.

http://www.powerampapp.com

zippykona

i’ve finally found something that works. isyncr. Works a treat.

Cougar

Handy to know, ta.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Micro sd cards, iTunes and samsung phones.’ is closed to new replies.