Home Forums Bike Forum micro cracks on road bike tyres

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • micro cracks on road bike tyres
  • zilog6128

after being in storage since lockdown #1!

I have got some new ones on the way, would you ride these if they don’t turn up/I haven’t got time to fit before tonight’s ride ?

Andy_Sweet
    Free Member

They’ll be fine

wheelsonfire1

No, I wouldn’t ride on those the cracks are a sign of age and possibly sun damage. There’s enough risks in life without adding to them, you might get away with it but you might not.

lunge

I’m not sure I’d be riding those, certainly not on a road bike where a failure may result in a face to tarmac interface.

fossy

Michelin ?  Found mine did that with age. Binned and got new. The rubber hardens and you don’t get the same grip.

wheelsonfire1

After having a look on a larger screen – DO NOT ride on those tyres, any advice otherwise is irresponsible in my opinion. Some of the tread has actually de-laminated and fallen off. All tyres, irrespective of manufacturer deteriorate with age, keeping them cool and dark helps slow the process.

nicko74

How far you riding? If nothing else, they’re gonna be more prone to punctures than not cracked ones…

But I noticed the same on my 2 road bikes, both need both tyres cracking. My question is, they’ve been stored in the same place as (and for less time) than my MTB, but my MTB tyres are fine. What’s the difference – difference compound??

citizenlee
    Free Member

Depends on how far you plan to go, but I’d probably throw caution to the wind and ride them.

Maybe go for a quick spin around the block first to see if you die or not.

zilog6128

thanks all! well the new tyres arrived & I’ve fitted them – tubeless (not sure if that made the original situation better or worse) and the cracked ones are now in the bin!

If nothing else, they’re gonna be more prone to punctures than not cracked ones…

this was partially my thinking (as well as getting a terminal case of death from a blowout) as wouldn’t want to keep slowing up the group ride with punctures!

Michelin ?

Schwalbe.

claudie

I would have ridden them and kept them on without any concerns!  Continental 4 seasons always looked like that after not very much use

footflaps

They’re fine! My commuter is far worse than that and never punctured.

53923228049_ba5c9dee2c_c

djglover
    Free Member

I’d not ride that on the front wheel down hill at 50mph, on the rear probs, for slower flatter stuff defo

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.