Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Meowing cat
  • clipper68
    Free Member

One of our cats has taken it upon himself to constantly meow. He’s exactly the same in himself, eating, sleeping behaviour etc apart from him turning the volume up to 11.
    He’s the softest cat in the world and everybody loves him for that. ( not one of those cats that you can’t pick up etc)
    Don’t want to take him to the vets just yet as that REALLY stresses and upsets him.
    Any ideas?

bruk

How old is he? Any changes in weight or appetite?

JCL
    Free Member

According to the wife cats only meow at humans. Stop talking to him and see if he quietens down.

clipper68
    Free Member

He’s two and absolutely no change in weight etc. it’s a bit strange. Like I said no change whatsoever apart from the full on meowing.. He’s never had a proper meow, just a funny chatter noise he used to make. Perhaps he’s suddenly found his voice.. I dunno.

khani
    Free Member

You’re obviously not following your orders promptly..
    Is it a Siamese? Our two shout at you if you’re slacking..

organic355
    Free Member

have you checked him for injuries, sore teeth/bad breath, rub his stomach see if it hurts? has he been wormed regularly, is he an outdoor cat?

clipper68
    Free Member

Lol. No not Siamese thankfully. He’s a ginger tabby. He’s not normally very demanding and his feeding times haven’t changed and we change his food regularly to keep it different.
    Normally dry food with the occasional can. Fed him a sachet just now and he did his usual hoover it instead of eat it then look at me to see where the next one is. Practically hear it clatter into his stomach unchewed. That’s normal though.

clipper68
    Free Member

Yep checked him all over and all seems normal. Regular worming tablets. Yep, outside cat apart from when it’s cold or raining. Comes in when I call him. Buggers off when he likes etc.

cranberry
    Free Member

Any change in behaviour like starting to miaow loudly should trigger a trip to the vet for a check up – even if he doesn’t like it. You need to rule out any sort of injury or illness in him.

Perhaps a spray or two of Feliway in his carry basket might ease the trip to the V E T somewhat.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Soundproof box?

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Have him checked over by vet?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

You have done something wrong, he is also now pointing out that you are thick by not knowing what you are doing wrong. Just like women really… (IGMC)

tomtomthepipersson
    Free Member

My cat started to do something similar – mentioned it to the vet on a routine visit and he suggested it could be high blood pressure. Which it was.

He now has a tablet each morning and is right as rain*

* He’s 17yo and a bit deaf now so has cranked the volume up even more to compensate.

CountZero

Maybe the other cats have been taking the piss, so he’s started miaowing to get them to stop winding him up.
    Possibly. 😉

mrblobby
    Free Member

Sounds much like ours at around the same time. Think he just found his voice. It’s usually when he comes home or if hungry. Call him the ginger whinger.

hexhamstu
    Free Member

This is weird, all the cats in my neighbourhood right now are meowing like crazy! Maybe they’re all going back to their home planet?

RobHilton
    Free Member

cats only meow at humans

Bollox.

I’ve had a couple of moggies that started getting very noisy in their dotage – apparently due to dementia. A 2 years old, though? To the vets…

wallop

You mention he is eating mainly dried food. Does he look like he needs to pee?

Male cats can sometime get crystallisation in their wee tubes – when our lad had it he meowed a lot, but also seemed very distressed (which I’m guessing yours isn’t) because he couldn’t pee.

In order to prevent it though, the vet suggested we make sure he has plenty of wet food in his diet in order to make sure he is well hydrated. The crystallisation is a very serious condition which can quickly turn fatal.

globalti
    Free Member

Good advice there on dried food; cystitis is a common problem when cats have dried food.

Does he miaow AT you or just randomly around the house? If it’s at you, I guess he’s trying to tell you something but if it was random I would worry.

clipper68
    Free Member

Booked in at the vets for peace of mind. He’s just come home with a cut ear and scratches on his face too so I assume he’s been duffed up by the dark tabby that lives locally again. The same one that used to sit outside the cat flap and ambush him. He used to yowl a bit when that was going on too.

clipper68
    Free Member

Just been told there may be a female cat around which is in heat. If he knows it’s around he will call and meow loads apparently.

legend
    Free Member

That sounds backwards to me, its the females that go bonkers when they’re in season. Males just know they’re in for a good time!

tonyd

Was going to suggest maybe a female on heat, that could also explain the cuts and scratches (fighting other male cats). Has he been, you know, done?

clipper68
    Free Member

Unfortunately he hasn’t been. It was a huge comedy of errors, every time he was booked in to get done, something came up to get in the way of the op. Happened loads of times, so much so the vet was getting pissed off we cancelled so often.
    I reckon Albert ( the cat in question) had something to do with it……

tonyd

Why cats meow:

To find a mate. Reproductively intact cats are more likely to yowl. Females yowl to advertise their receptivity to males, and males yowl to gain access to females.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

tonyd that seems like a very simple analysis, ended up watching and listening to some cat psychology stuff. They do it for hundreds of reasons too many to go into…

Cougar

Unfortunately he hasn’t been.

Many vets will do it for free. An intact tom is an urban menace.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Many vets will do it for free. An intact tom is an urban menace.

Not as many, the RSPA/PDSA might but just get it done, most do near to cost though

Cougar

‘s what my vet told me. She could easily have been using a sample group of “one” though I suppose.

tonyd

Mike – yep no doubt, and I’m no cat pyschologist, but that was one of the first hits on a google search. Given there’s a female on heat nearby, the OPs cat hasn’t been done and has been fighting, it seems fairly likely.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Meowing cat’ is closed to new replies.