Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 91 total)
  • Men's clothing, what is "in" at the moment?
  • sobriety
    Free Member

When I say girls, I mean those under 16.

HoW do you knoWe that isn’t what he wants?

cynic-al
    Free Member

I’d love to see the experts post up pics of themselves…

willard

Sorry chap, always behind the camera.

I have a couple of me in No. 2’s, several more in MTP, but none of me in a proper suit.

Mister-P
    Free Member

I am sensing there are very few STWers who know much about current trends.

Neil-F
    Free Member

Black Converse high.
    Black grandad shirt.
    Black kilt, with a red sporran.
    Sorted. 😀

wwaswas

there are very few STWers who know much about current trends.

dropper posts?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Charcoal grey suit, brown slip ons, white shirt, PROPERLY tied tie in colour to echo bridesmaids’ dresses.

Easy lay ahead.

john_drummer
    Free Member

dogbert, the plaid shirt look always reminds me of this:

john_drummer
    Free Member

brown shoes with a grey suit? pass the mind bleach

donsimon
    Free Member

there are very few STWers who know much about current trends.

#chadsdad

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

John, brown slip on shoes!

Pass the pistol. Up against the wall, MF.

john_drummer
    Free Member

anyway, the last three weddings I went to were all for my sisters. I wore dark grey suit, black shoes (lace up of course), white shirt, plain tie, black belt.
    Would have been smart if it hadn’t been wrapped around my blubbery torso 😉

hels
    Free Member

Please please please tell me lumberjack shirts aren’t coming back in ! BF of mine during the grunge era wandered about with at least 7 of them on his body at any one time. I started hiding them when he was asleep.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Grey and black? Jeebuz that’s dowdy.

MrNutt
    Free Member

New Black vans
    Baggy cream chinos
    Loose white linen shirt
    Good watch

You’ll be smart and comfortable

Alternatively dress like timothy mcvey and you’ll be beating yourself/them off

sparkyrhino

Just watch wateboy, one stylish cat

CHB

From being in Browns restaurant in Leeds last saturday, I can confirm the disturbing resurection of the plaid/lumberjack shirt…..horrid.

elliott-20
    Free Member

How about rather nice suit from Volcom?

Linky linky

john_drummer
    Free Member

Grey and black? Jeebuz that’s dowdy.

probably 🙂

I was never one for fashion. I was a punk, then a goth, when I was younger; in between there was a brief rockabilly look complete with said lumberjack shirt! hey, it was the 80s, what can I say?

CountZero

Won’t help much, but I usually wear a pair of black cotton trousers by Split, a skate/surf company, a really nice fine dark green check Rocky Mountain Cycles long sleeve shirt, a pair of plain, un-logo’d Van skate shoes, and a nice black wool jacket from M&S. Other shirts include a grey check short sleeve Howies shirt with a plain white Tee underneath.
    Works for me, usually get told I look pretty smart.
    I’m 57, btw…

peterfile
    Free Member

I’d love to see the experts post up pics of themselves…

Expert is a bit of a stretch, but I know the difference between jeans/t-shirt and something a bit smarter.

I’d happily post a pic just to make the point that dressing “smart” doesn’t need to take much more effort than a basic suit, shirt and shoes.

However, I know I’d just end up taking STW style mockery for 2 pages if I did, so you’ll just have to take my word for it 🙂

MrSmith
    Free Member

I thought the STW demographic was ‘middle aged’? Only judging by most of the comments above it’s 16?
    Only kids would wear street/ skate wear to a wedding. Or is it a northern thing? They love that superdry crap up there.

dufresneorama
    Free Member

Hire a kilt, nuff said.

druidh
    Free Member

I can’t believe it took so many posts to get to the correct answer.

bobbyatwork
    Free Member

Twice in my life I wore a kilt,both weddings…pulled At both(one was in Devon so maybe cheating) they do look good if worn right… If not comfy wear a whistle. Concur with petrrfile.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

FFS

Is simple – as close to this as you can make it

Suit must fit, shirt must fit and have all buttons done up
    Tie must not be clip on
    Cufflinks should not be novelty
    Shoes clean

hexhamstu
    Free Member

STW is not the place to be asking fashion advice…. You are doomed.

corroded
    Free Member

I despair sometimes. Skate shoes!? It’s probably the biggest day in the bride’s life so make an effort. The aim is not to look ‘in’ but classic. Wear a suit. It’s a wedding so you can skip the non-business charcoal: a lighter grey or blue is fine for summer. It must fit: no slopping shoulders or trousers crunkled around your ankles. Slim, single-breasted cut. Plain tie in a colour that doesn’t clash. New shirt: unless you’ve really let yourself go, get a fitted shirt rather a baggy, middle-management style. Best shoes you can afford: made in England preferably, simple, no weird seams or dangly bits. Leather sole and laces because you’re a grown-up. It’s not difficult.

MrSmith
    Free Member

What he said^.
    And don’t forget the shoes. If they are not right you may as well wear a baggy short sleeved shirt tucked in at the waist and that pair of jeans you (but nobody else) thinks are smart.

juan
    Free Member

It’s probably the biggest day in the bride’s life

Well it is all very subjective… First wedding I went I was wearing a brown docker trousers a matching shirt, under a vneck black top and some leathery black trainers.
    I was by was the less smart. But I am the only one the bride told “you do look very smart”.
    If the bride knows you and knows what you look like in everyday’s life, she’ll know you’ve made an effort.

hels
    Free Member

What does it say on the invite ? Most weddings I have been to list the dress code. One was military and even said which grades of uniform the men had to wear and when, no such helpful advice for the ladies.

Anyway, two pieces of advice:

1. You can never be overdressed

2. Suits only look good on slim people, but properly fitted is better than not and go for darker shades if you aren’t slim.

Have fun.

donsimon
    Free Member

But I am the only one the bride told “you do look very smart”.

She was being polite. 🙁

juan
    Free Member

Actually everyone who knows me told me the exact same thing 😉

Nobby

Lederhosen?

If not, the ‘Daniel Craig’ look posted earlier. Women may say they like a bit of rough but always seem to prefer it if it’s wrapped nicely in the first place.

aP
    Free Member

My default wedding outfit is dark grey agnes b single breasted suit, white shirt, dark grey silk square bottom tie, black patent Church’s shoes and black socks. But then I’m an architect and know nothing of fashion. Admittedly for 1 wedding I wore a G&H velvet brocade lapel dinner jacket ( thanks to a former Doctor Who for giving it to me 😯 )

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

As it’s Summer, a short sleeved shirt will do. It avoids sweaty patches around the underarm.

steve-g
    Free Member

Has to be a suit.

As someone said above you go for the classic look. There will be a million photos taken at any wedding, if you’re wearing a good suit then in 20 years time when people are looking through the photo albums you will be one of the guys in a suit looking normal, any efforts to look trendy just make you look like a tw*t in the fulness of time

thekingisdead
    Free Member

As it’s Summer, a short sleeved shirt will do. It avoids sweaty patches around the underarm.

No, no and some more no.
    Even more no if you’re gonna be wearing a tie.

Short sleeve shirts can only be worn by bus drivers….while driving a bus.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

If the month doesn’t have an “R” in it, then short sleeved is just fine. Jeez.

john_drummer
    Free Member

And IT people 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 91 total)

The topic ‘Men's clothing, what is "in" at the moment?’ is closed to new replies.