Home Forums Bike Forum Menorca MTB routes

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Menorca MTB routes
  • akira

In the west of menorca and looking for some route suggestions, hiring full suspension for two days and wondering if anyone has some fun but not too hard routes, 30 degrees so everything hard going.

oikeith

I don’t know any routes, but I will say good luck, I was in Menorca this time last year and did a couple of pre breakfast jogs and that was far too hot for my liking!

chakaping

I am by no means an expert, but I took my MTB on holiday there about 12 years ago when I was staying around the south west corner of the island.

There’s a long distance trail (Cami de Cavalls)  that goes all the way round the coast and I followed that in both directions for 10 or 15 miles, some of the riding was quite tech (but flat). It was generally very pleasant.

Then I got ill and couldn’t ride the rest of the week.

Kryton57

Last thing their I rode the Cami de Cavell with Jnr to the next town, had lunch and came back.   Very nice.   Depending on where you are on the island it’s semi paved or quite rocky, there’s a bit of a cliff / rock traverse south of Santo Tomas IIRC.

anono

I’ve ridden some of the cami either side of son bou. None of it particularly easy – hard work but good fun.  I don’t tend to mind the heat too much but I’ll admit it was pretty warm.

I didn’t get over to the west of the island (only as far as cala galdana) so dont know what the riding there is like, but there’s plenty of info if you Google it.

The place i hired from was pretty good and delivered and picked up the bikes.   You might want to take your own pedals though.

akira

Bike shop delivering to hotel close by, pedals etc all sorted, I’ll have a Google and see what comes up.

uniqueusername

Where abouts west.

We’ve done 90% of the cami de cavalles now. Think we are only missing the bits in and out of the two cities.

The stuff south of cuitadella around cap dartrutx and along son xorigeur is hard going volcanic? Moon rock stuff. North of cuitadella around to cala morell looks to be a bit we haven’t done. Book shows it to be hilly and tricky.

We stay in cala galdana so have done either side of there most. Galdana to sant Tomas would be my favourite pick. Galdana xorigeur is bit more hard going and rocky with the aforementioned moon rock at the xorigeur end but still fun.

I do like the ride from son bou to cala en porter, but as kayak said it’s a bit of a mission to start getting out of son bou.

Many of the sections require a bit of carrying.

The south side seems generally more ridable to me and has more vegetation for shade. The north is more rocky and exposed in the north west, some sections are just riding on melon sized rocks. North east is quite ridable and has some of the flatter sections.

Or at least that’s how I (mis?) remember it.

uniqueusername

Here is what the guide book thinks of the gradient and rideability

Or not. Apparently not letting me add a photo.

akira

Staying just south of Cuitadella, think it’s all quite well signposted just wondering whether a GPS route on Garmin will be necessary

uniqueusername

Well signed no need for gps. Two foot high wooden posts with wine red plaques on regularly along the route and normal sign posts at junctions. Where it follows the roads keep an eye out for red and white striped markings painted on to lamp posts and the like too.

anono

Agree with unique about the route from son bou to cal en porter. Quite tough going.  Strava says it was 34° when I did it (which apparently felt like 40°). Was ready for a beer when i got back.

richardkennerley

@akira what bike shop you using?

I’m in menorca myself in the next couple of weeks and may look at bike hire

anono

Totvelo alquiler were pretty good when i hired from them.

akira

Using velos Juan in Cuitadella, they deliver to most places and got decent range. Got some Orbea Ois, I’ll let you know how they get on.

Kryton57

I’m near Cuitedella myself very soon, will give them a shout, a nice opportunity to try an Oiz assuming they’re above standard hire-a-bike condition.

akira

Just got them, in decent condition, seem pretty good. Had slightly fancier Cannondale but wasn’t that fussed. Delivered on time to nearby hotel.

akira

Okay heading north from Cuitadella was a bit like being on the moon when it was on fire, not hugely fun, very very rocky and hot.

Going to try heading south tomorrow as looks bit more green and less volcanic.

richardkennerley

I’ll be staying in cala n Bosch so I think you’re likely heading over the route I would potentially ride, let us know how it is!

akira

South was alright, still pretty rocky and I’d aim for a shorter ride due to the heat. Was fairly technical and got hard when it got hot. If it has been cooler I would have gone further but I’m not great above 30 degrees! Was few sandy bits that were a slog.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.