• This topic has 165 replies, 65 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by 2bit.
Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 166 total)
  • Meloncholy music playlist..
  • lorax

So much good music here! Really pleased to see the Jazz Butcher, among many others.

Have I just missed it or has no one posted this – the album cover alone should do it…

I have a playlist entitled “Low” so this is very easy…

vickypea
    Free Member

Phil Campbell’s Cried Some Diamonds always brings a tear to my eye

OrmanCheep
    Free Member

Totally haunting song from Danny Cavanagh and Anneke van Giersbergen.
    Written by Liverpool band Anathema, I think about the passing of their dad (there were three brothers in the band). Anneke has the most amazing voice.

OrmanCheep
    Free Member

Nice version of Time after Time by same girl… (bit of a long intro, but quite charming nonetheless)

masterdabber
    Free Member

if youtube, just below the video is a share button which gives you a link to copy. Put this in directly, and the video appears.

That doesn’t seem to work for me. When I do a “Preview” it just shows the link url, no video window.

Will it work if I actually “Post” it?

OrmanCheep
    Free Member

OrmanCheep
    Free Member

I don’t get a preview option when I post. I just paste the link in the white box and hit submit. Seems to work for me.

masterdabber
    Free Member

I don’t get a preview option when I post. I just paste the link in the white box and hit submit. Seems to work for me.

Thanks…it works.

“One fine day” from Madam Butterfly …. Maria Callas singing.

It always makes me well up.I don’t really know why but it does.

Sandwich

My two.

johnx2
    Free Member

^^^
    Northern Sky somewhere up page is one of my favourite songs, but on this thread Nick Drake feels a bit like cheating. But all time biggest selling rapper also sounds sad most of the time, for some reason…

onewheelgood

I don’t think anyone has posted this yet.

Zappa’s “Watermelon in Easterhay” does it for me. Someone played it for me back in 1982 when I’d just lost someone very close to me, and it’s haunting, beautiful, and carries such a sense of loss and longing for what might have been. Best heard on a decent stereo, or at least some good headphones.

I won’t post the link because the spoken intro is sweary, but it’s easy enough to find.

nedrapier

nedrapier

Oooh, I’m going to have to take some time listening to all of this. Can’t right now – spinning through while the wife watches Bake Off.

These are a few I’d like to add. All of them have moved me very much. As others have said, all of Nick Drake’s could go on here. Pretty sure he never did an equivalent of Bowie’s Laughing Gnome? Leonard Cohen, I’ve never really got. Maybe later..

Has Jeff been on yet?

StuE
    Free Member

Sandwich

The theme to Schindler’s List could also be added here too. It may slip towards bleak rather than melancholy.

BillMC

masterdabber
    Free Member

The intro music from “The Bridge”…… Saga lives.

MSP

ah, talking of theme tunes…

burntembers

Some great tracks suggested here (Sad to hear about John Prine RIP). I have a Spotify playlist titled Beautiful melancholy, here are some of my current favourites

Michigan – The Milk Carton Kids

Lua – Bright Eyes (Conor Oberst is a master of Melancholy IMHO)

Nostalgia Blues · Simon Joyner

Gretchen Peters – Five Minutes

Anna-B
    Free Member

Some great music in this list…. Melancholia for me is summed up in this cover version, Phil Collin’s Against the Odds covered by the Postal Service. So beautiful and so sad.

greatbeardedone
    Free Member

greatbeardedone
    Free Member

greatbeardedone
    Free Member

greatbeardedone
    Free Member

Boom-boom…

fasthaggis

chakaping
    Free Member

Really pleased to see the Jazz Butcher

Good to know there’s at least one other fan out there.

Another great melancholy Butch number (it’s actually this one which has Sonic Boom on guitar)…

metalheart
    Free Member

For some reason I have been listen to this. A lot…

donks
    Free Member

Spiritualized:
    Medication
    Take good care
    Walk with Jesus

Belle and Sebastian:
    The state I’m in

The Violent Femmes:
    Good Feeling

LCD Sound System:
    Someone Great

Psychic Ills: it’s all pretty melancholy.

Nick

This has to be the best playlist yet on here, some great music and a lot new to me.

Nick

burntembers

Sinead O’Connor – Ode To Billy Joe

Silver Jews – Random Rules

Other favourites by Silver Jews ‘Candy Jail’ and ‘Dallas’

Iron and Wine – Naked as We Came

Other favourites by Iron and Wine – ‘Sodom, South Georgia’, ‘Such Great Heights’ and ‘Flightless Bird American Mouth’

Del Amitri – Driving with the Brakes On

Neil_Bolton
    Free Member

This one KILLS me. Just so powerful:

anagallis_arvensis

Townes Van Zandt has been mentioned, here is a song that marked his death. Makes me cry every time, place names are all wrong but it all sums up my brother who died almost 10 years ago.

2bit

Some very excellent dirges listed already. My selection –

All desperately sad yet beautiful

slowoldman

Zappa’s “Watermelon in Easterhay” does it for me.

Ah yes. I came home and played that the day he died. Here’s a version from 1988 without a sweary intro, though it is best heard in context as part of Joe’s Garage.

johnx2
    Free Member

…so titled because apparently “trying to play a solo with this band is like trying to grow watermelons in Easter hay”. I remember from an interview.

Here’s one, the optimistic side of melancholy but still…

2bit

& another.

Extra marks for cross genre YouTube mashup

SaxonRider

theotherjonv

Another one from the masters of melancholy, but a cover version.

(it’s quite nice this thread isn’t a Smiths / Morrissey compilation actually)

BoardinBob

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 166 total)

The topic ‘Meloncholy music playlist..’ is closed to new replies.