Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Megavalanche-Advice please
  • Amos
    Free Member

Next year planning in FINALLY doing the Mega, before I go researching it via the medium of google searches are there any tips anyone can give me regards places to stay when to travel down and general info. ?
    I plan to go with a group of mates by car and then the wife and nipper join later in the week any ideas welcome and what to expect!

Cheers Mat

grahamt1980

best way is to camp in allemont, that way you can get the free bus up to oz and the lifts.
    It works well as on race day you can roll down the road to you stuff rather than have to queue for ages to get on the bus to the lift station.
    Depending on how happy you are riding stuff like the race will depend on how long you want to be out there, we went for the whole week before this time and it was worth it.
    Our campsite was le grande calme in allemont, great place pretty cheap and got a pizza stall on site if you really can't be bothered to cook one night

We got back from the Megavalanche last night, after an amazing weeks riding, and great fun doing the qualifier and the Mega Affinity (same route, but for those of us slightly slower than the pro's!)

We stayed in Bourg D'Osians, which is a 14km drive up to Alpe D'Huez, in a campsite called Camping-Piscine Most people seemed to be staying in Alpe Du Huez itself, though there were quite a few riders staying at this campsite, as its quite easy to get back to after the race.

We travelled down from Manchester, collecting a mate from north london enroute, and returned yesterday setting off at 05:30, and I arrived home 18:30, so its quite a long drive but do-able in one go as long as you can share the driving.

I wouldnt say you need to be a hugely experienced downhiller, though there are rocky and gnarly sections, but nothing that cant be walked if preferred, and as the race is 32km long, walking a couple of drops didnt seem to put me back too far.

My biggest tip = when approaching a toll booth on the french motorway – don't forget that you have your mates bike on the roof and drive through the "cars only" booth – luckily no damage to the bike, but the toll booth was trashed (as we noted in the rear view mirror whilst zooming away 😉

steveh

Camping in Allemont is ok but it's very quiet. Staying in alp d'huez itself is easy and pretty cheap. It's worth making a week of it as there is a normal dh race on the tues (normally) and plenty of other riding to be done in the area. your lift pass also entitles you to a days riding at les deux alpes the other side of the valley at no charge.

The qualifier has 1 small climb only and takes 30 mins for the fastest guys. The main course has a number of small climbs along it's length, the glacier isn't too bad (pretty slippy and steep but not hard to get down slowly) then it's into the singletrack around the mountain into ADH. This is the techiest bit and it can often be a big traffic jam so if you can't ride bits because they're too techy chances are you'll be walking anyway due to others.

Bike wise I've done it twice on a full dh bike and qualified for the main event each time around 200th. You're not going to win and a big bike makes it more fun IMHO.

crazyjohnyblows
    Free Member

we stayed in alpe d huez…if u prebook accomedation now its alot cheaper and u can get some grand places….

kimbers

as for places to stay, depends what youre after alp de huez is more busy and bustling, while allemont is quiet and chilled has a post office a chemist a spar a swimming pool a climbing wall a couple of bars/ restaraunts and most importantly a boulangerie/ psatiserie to die for, also a lot cheaper than alpe, tho u will need to pop up there to get spares/ race results etc

5-7 inch travel is what id recomend ride some dh courses in the uk 1st but you need to be get in pretty good shape to fully enjoy the riding, its hard work

also make sure youre bike is set up nicely – tough and reliable as you can make it

mildred

Done it a few times now, and I'd say stop in Alpe to save any farting around for signing on, riding, checking results etc. I borrow parents' camper van so accomodation was free – as would tenting it under the DMC lift station.

Bike – as above – "tough and reliable as you can make it".

Riding is what you make it – ride, run, walk wherever you like. There will always be someone better than you,and there will always be someone worse, so don't worry about it.

Enjoy it.

foolishmiracles
    Free Member

Anyone got a few minutes to explain the qualification process? Is qualifying the day before the main race? What time/position to you have to achieve to qualify? What happens if you dont qualify? Do they put you at the back of the start grid or are you excluded? Do you get to race the main course no matter what? Any info greatly appreciated 😀

grumm
    Free Member

Qualifier was on the Friday.

First 45 get in the main Mega on Sunday
    Next 45 get in the mega Promo on Saturday
    Next 45 Get in Affinity 1 (no mass start but a timed run on the main mega course) on Sunday
    Everyone else in Affinity 2 (same) on Saturday

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Stay in Oz Station (v. quiet) or Alpe d'Huez (much busier, and much more options for nightlife). Allemont seems like a really nice town, but it doesn't have direct lift access to the trails, so you're relying on the (slow) bus service to get up to Oz station – can be up to an hour wait if you just miss one. Most of the sign on stuff is in ADH, so its easiest to be there. The Qualifier and the Sprint DH race both finish in Oz though.

Avalanche Sprint is practice on the Tuesday, 2 race runs Weds. I really enjoyed it, but it does take a full day out of your week for 2 5minute runs.

Qualifying on Friday – waves of 200 going off at 20 minute intervals. The top boys get down in about 23 mins. I was 43 without a chain.

Results of the Quali split you as per Grumm. Can't remember how long the main race is, but the top times are sub 50 minute, but that's absolutley dependent on getting a clear start and a flat out (60mph+) run down the glacier. Anything sub 1hr 15 is good in my book – I was 1hr 18.

Skill wise a good solid trail riding background will see you through. if you're familiar with "real" (ie non-trail centre) riding in the Peaks, Wales, Lakes etc you'll be fine. You can make up quite a few places on the climbs, so being fit and having a pedalable bike is handy. Upper body strength/stamina, especially arms/foreams/hands is important.

Bike? Full sus unless you really have desire to hurt yourself – I rode my Bfe for a day and it was loads of fun, but I wouldn't want to *race* on it. Decent brakes and the toughest wheels and tyres you can fit. I was running 2.5 Minions with FR tubes pumped up hard and my rims (721s) are now absolutely fubared – I counted 16 flat spots in the rear. A lot of the fast guys are running light 6" travel setups – Spicys, Ransoms, Remedys, that kind of thing. Oh, and as much armour as you feel comfortable wearing.

Amos
    Free Member

This is great cheers STW massive. I'm probably going to look for a Chalet in Alp d'heuz think I'll need the comfort after throwing myself down a fookin huge mountain!

I'm running an 2008 575 with a carbon rear end and fox float 36's up front is this a suitable bike? I'm thinking it should be cock on! Keep the tips and experiences coming makes great raeding.

Thanks Mat

grumm
    Free Member

Sounds perfect (apart from the carbon which will snap like a twig) 😉

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Bike is spot on, assuming you manage to keep the carbon away from the rocks.

moe_szyslak
    Free Member

HI Guys, I had a few questions myself.

When should you enter?

How much is entry cost?

I have heard people mention medicals, is this for everyone?

Interesting about qualifying, I didn't know there were different races. Irrespective of speed everyone gets to race? I am assuming that most STW'ers are in Affinity 2 (not because they are slow, but that is the place for the average rider?)

grumm
    Free Member

Can't remember when I entered, think it was around January.

Cost is approx 85 euros for the week inlcuding a lift pass.

You need either a doctors note or a race license – my provisional one from BC was fine – £11.50.

I qualified in affinity 1 – but I could have got into the promo I think if I had managed not to crash a couple of times.

Taz

Some good advice all round here

My inputs

All the places to stay have pro's and cons. Think most have been covered. I stayed in Oz Station and would do that again.

If you are a good rider, and have some luck, making the Avalanche or the 2nd (promo?) is pretty do-able. Crashes and technicals can and likley will play there part.

Fitness is key. Upper body as much as cycling. It is hard riding that long & fast on rocky terrain. Regardless of goal the fitter / stronger you are the better

A 6 inch bike with 'dropper' seatpost is probably the ideal bike.

First time out set yourself a goal of enjoying yourself.

Go a few days early and pre ride the qualifier and main course as much as you can. They are good fun but just as importantly pick some alternate lines you can use if required. Chances are you will get held up somewhere. It will frustrate you if (when) you get stuck behind people walking sections you can ride. I got knocked off on the very first corner last year. I wish I had thought of this before the event.

Entries are January I think. It sells out quickly so get in ASAP.

Be prepared to want to go back 😀

JonEdwards
    Free Member

The cost for the Gold or Platinum packs is pretty good value for the lift pass, race entries etc. (Gold is the week and is about E85, the Platinum which included the Sprint was ~E100. I've always entered as soon as entrys came out, and both times have got decent grid placings

BC Bronze level race license is the easy way to cover the doctors note.

There's a lot of luck, as well as skill involved in which race you get into. If you end up on the back few rows of your qualifier, you'll have to work bloody hard to make the main race, no matter how good you are (although its worth knowing that UCI points=front row, if you fancy some fibbing). On the other hand one puncture or mechanical will set even world class riders back into Affinity (Nico V a couple of years back). I was really hoping for a place in the main race, ended up killing my mech/chain/cable in the first 5 minutes and ended up in Affinity1. There are some complete nodders there you barely know how to ride a bike on tarmac. let alone down a mountain, so I'd imagine the average STWer should be capable of the Promo with a bit of luck and a good starting position

Taz

As Jon says

It will stun you just how bad some people are that have entered!

SigmaF
    Free Member

Tip from the top……be sure to sort your application out 'correctly'….this will ensure a reasonable qualifying grid position….!!

This was the 2nd yr I'd attempted it and the 2nd yr I'd forgotten to put down previous race results or UCI license number….doh…this results in a final row qualifying grid position and a battle to make up the places…

If you're on the front rows = less time on the brakes and a more consistent pace…..if you're on the back rows…trying to make 150 odd places is a battle, you tend to get more fatigued braking (esp arm pump), get stuck behind wobbly types like Jon ( :D) and it becomes more of a lottery to survive (after making 140 places on this years quali, some French dude t-boned me off the steep switchbacks which resulted in a 10 minute mountain hike!!)…..

Same applies for the main event, you need to be as near to the front as possible…..traffic wears you out……

Overall, it's all about the qualification grid position….

Bike choice, I did it on a Meta 5 with Pikes this year running a 34T single front ring…..tubeless……considered running my DH bike for the quali but decided that 2 bikes was contrary to the event ethos….on reflection, the bigger bike might have helped a bit with the quali (i.e – me not getting booted off the hill so easily!!)…..but, overall too much bike….

Maybe 6" on the front may have mitigated the forearm pump a little and given a little more front-line defense during the quali though….

Ideal is a light, 66 – 67 degree 6"er with coil front and rear….(rear RP23 struggled a bit after a while…)….but, try to find one!!!

Next year I'll be on a Corsair Marque with something 150mm coil….and maybe the DH bike for the quali… 😆

jojoA1
    Free Member

still on the way back. Anyone want some champagne or mustard?
    We stayed at a campsite in allemont which was perfect for us with the family. Loved the riding, very like doing the blackwater dam descent at kinlochleven several times over.
    Frustrated by the race and queuing behind slower people. Managed 26th lady though, so quite pleased.
    Pics when back home next week after british champs at inners this weekend.

moe_szyslak
    Free Member

Thanks for the info.

So the famous mass start is only applicable for the qualifying and the main feature/mega race?

WOuld a HEckler with Fox 36 and coil shock be suitable?

Taz

Well done jojo!

Moe – Mass start for qualifier, Avalanche & 2nd race. Both Affinty races are timed only

Yes that bike would work very well!

JonEdwards
    Free Member

get stuck behind wobbly types like Jon ( :D)

Your face, my ass, Lanzi! 😆

Moe – sounds spot on.

Jojo – a) well done, b) Some really good mustard please! 😉

flamejob
    Free Member

I'm a Mega veteran now and would recommend staying in Oz after a staying in a few places in Alp D.

I had a really chilled day riding the DH course and the trail to Oz. It is great being in a relaxed town with the lifts at the door and Pizza a minute from bed.

Oh, and as much armour as you feel comfortable wearing.

Sage advice! Don't forget armoured shorts; I always do!

moe_szyslak
    Free Member

So for timed races you are let go at various intervals rally style?

Taz

Moe – You trip up between certain times (same for all in your race) and start when you want

grumm
    Free Member

@flamejob – you know when you bought the pics from photobreton – how did you actually get them? I paid for 2 as high quality email format and have got nothing so far and no response to the email I sent.

Amos
    Free Member

And can you direct me to some helpful websites? Google doesn't bring up anything terribly exciting!

flamejob
    Free Member

@grumm I think the payment is automated, but the actual sending is manual. I got mine in the evening; ordered in the morning.

French, innit.

moe_szyslak
    Free Member

"Qualifier was on the Friday.

First 45 get in the main Mega on Sunday
    Next 45 get in the mega Promo on Saturday
    Next 45 Get in Affinity 1 (no mass start but a timed run on the main mega course) on Sunday
    Everyone else in Affinity 2 (same) on Saturday"

The results show 350+ in the final?

jimmy

We stayed in Allemont, too. Plus points – you get to ride ALL the way down at the end of the day, plunge in the glacial meltwaters and crack a cold beer.

There's a lot of worrying could be done about MEGA, I'd say just get your entry in and accomodation booked and enjoy it as a riding holiday. The trickiest bit is making sure you're in the right place at the right time for registration / results / racing. Get that all clear at the beginning of the week and you're laughing. (Find the crazy Dutch guy who runs the show and milk him for info).

clareymorris

Well done Jojo look forward to seeing your photos 🙂

I_Ache
    Free Member

@moe I believe that those figures are per qualifier and there are a few qualifiers if you look.

moe_szyslak
    Free Member

oh I see, so there are around 7-8 different qualifiers?

Moe – yes, i think there are 8 or 9 with 200 in each.

flowmtbguy
    Free Member

try lying on your entry form about your past race results if you want a front 2 row start on the qualifyers. very useful 😉

– and no, I didn't! Third row qualifyer this year – best start yet. got in 31st place – row K in the Mega proper in the end.

but have to say I had a much better race day last year because I qualified on the front row of the Promo – came in 13th in the end and had a clear run all the way – non of that singletrack queing for me!

Places to stay… we run a couple of chalets there – have no idea on what we're doing next summer (prices etc) – but will most likely be there in some capacity!

http://www.flowmtb.com/

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Megavalanche-Advice please’ is closed to new replies.