• This topic has 18 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by 5lab.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Mega Avalanche Comes to Glencoe
  • balfa
    Free Member

"To top off a great day, the presentation held a big announcement from the No Fuss Events team. In 2011 they will host a ‘Mega Avalanche’ style event at Glencoe. Starting at the summit on the snow the event will offer a helicopter drop at the top and a mass start DH race to the bottom…. Oh yes!!"

From
    [www.facebook.com]

Sounds awesome. 2600ft of descent as opposed to 2600m at alp d'huez. Will sure to be an interesting descent! I expect full on carnage when they hit the downhill course. The upper section of the mountain is pretty knarly too. The snow will be the east option!

Any takers?

IanMunro
    Free Member

When it says "Starting from the summit", starting from the summit of what?

balfa
    Free Member

Meall A Bhuiridh aka the Glencoe ski area. There are no chairs (only drag lifts) to the top of the mountain though thus the need for the helicopter.

HeatherBash
    Free Member

Meall a Bhuridh

lyons
    Free Member

Helicopter… So it's gonna be rather expensive…

IanMunro
    Free Member

Thanks!

enduro-aid
    Free Member

yeah heli lifts from the top of the chair with max 4 people with bikes in each lift, very very expensive way of doing things

BoardinBob

No way they can ferry everyone to the top by helicopter 😆

Unless they're limiting entrants to about a dozen folk

balfa
    Free Member

I do wonder if they will just heli lift the bikes to the summit and make people walk. Maybe they've got a chinook up they're sleeve 🙂

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

The snow will be the east option!

And this'll be the west option

balfa
    Free Member

Ah Link isn't working. Working Link

HeatherBash
    Free Member

Probably be a 1/2hr push from the top of the Cliffy… Whether the Cliffy could handle the combined weight of riders and DH bikes is another matter tho 😉

Brycey
    Free Member

That sounds logistically difficult (walk from top of Cliffhanger if you don't want to pay for helicopter I presume) but absolutely bloody amazing! Aside from the endurance aspect I'd say harder than the Mega as well! Bring it on!

kimbers

where do i sign up?

glenh
    Free Member

I do think it will be very difficult to get many riders up to the top of the mountain, but it would be an ace ride down 😀

jojoA1
    Free Member

200 riders can note interest and 70 will be notified on the Monday before. Cost to be split between glencoe co, on fuss and entrants. Non profit, publicity, history and fun/challenge the only aims.

konabunny
    Free Member

Can recommend this place Torren Cottages if anyone's looking for B&B or self-catering in the area, by the way…

jojoA1
    Free Member

Oh, and bikes will go up on the piste beasts. People only in the choppas.

5lab

konabunny – any particular reason? me and the misses are looking for a bnb in that kinda area for a (non biking) holiday shortly..

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Mega Avalanche Comes to Glencoe’ is closed to new replies.