Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Meeting for possible bike sale… Protocol?
  • ryderredman
    Free Member

I’ve got a bike advertised on a few sites and have had someone email from gumtree asking for me to meet them so they can look. Anyone know the protocol for this?

What leverage do I have for his return? Is it normal to ask for their licence? But on having that would the police even care if i turn up with said persons licence saying they rode off on my bike never to come back! Is it just easier to say no?

Help much appreciated!

honourablegeorge

Best to hide under the bed, and never come out. Only way to be safe.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

If I was close enough I’d do the meet in person. Ask for their car keys/license or the sale price in cash if they want to go more than 10m on it, take a mate & count the cash before handing it over.

Maybe just whip the pedals off and have them in the car until you exchange something.

Also if sold take a pic of chap with new bike and do a receipt for both of you (both signed)

Rosss
    Free Member

Meet him at a local trail centre. Plenty of bikers around who can assist / give chase!

eyerideit
    Free Member

Meet them at their house, have them come to yours.

The buyer usually goes to collect, I did when I bought my Mojo. The guy I bought it from had a lovely house, his wife was very nice too and made me a cup of tea.

I bought my Pace at the services near Bradford as it was halfway for both of us. He turned up with his dad and my brother came with me.

Both times there was no blood spilt, just money and polite conversation exchanged.

The world’s not full of murderers and skanks, no matter what the Daily Fail tells you.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

There’s only one way. Fight to the death, winner takes all.

nwill1
    Free Member

Never go alone, meet in a very public well lit busy area. Pinkbike have some advise on their site on one part it suggests meeting outside of a police station.

In my experience I try to communicate as much as possible, always speaking before a meet. From communications I establish what they’re like (as best as possible) ie well spoken, good literacy skillz (see what I did there) and the like, I think gumtree is a pretty dodgy site, I like to use STW & Pinkbike where you can look at their history, I’m always cautious of new users.

One final thing is avoid giving the buyer your address, if they are a bit dodgy last thing you want is them knowing where you keep your bikes!

mrmoofo

Are you meeting to sell a bike? Or to write and expose on the Hells Angels?

TBH, I think you are being a little over suspicious. If this is a real issue for you, sell it impersonally on eBay

kendo954
    Free Member

Take a bat

wwaswas

Take a bat

*fears he may have misinterpreted the instruction*

toys19
    Free Member

meet at the local cop shop

midlifecrashes

If it’s on Gumtree they probably have your address already and a handy little map to help them get there.

tomhoward

I’ve collected 2 bikes before, one in a shopping centre carpark, the other time at the sellers house, always 2 people from each party there, so the second person stays with the seller as I have a quick spin on the bike (not out of sight though), cash is paid, counted, then a receipt is given and signed and a copy for both parties. Job jobbed.

enfht
    Free Member

Wear a red carnation in your lapel.

peterfile
    Free Member

I wouldn’t risk it at all personally, it’s just too dangerous.

I prefer to use CRC/Wiggle etc, you just hear too many stories about people being robbed and attacked after buying from Gumtree. Fair play if you’re willing to risk serious injury (or worse) to save a few quid.

There’s a gang of muslimist paedophiles who operate in my area, meeting people who advertise cars for sale on Gumtree and then robbing them and making them convert to islam. Bloody terrifying stuff.

mrmoofo

😀

plyphon
    Free Member

Take a decoy bike. When the buyer asks why the bike is different, say

“I had to be sure.”

Junkyard
    Free Member

Sounds like you need to take your mum with you 😉

atlaz
    Free Member

I bought one bike from a bloke local to me, he invited me in for a chat whilst we sorted the details. I test rode the bike but my car was parked in front of his flat so I was unlikely to scarper.

Someone else bought the same bike from me 2 years later. Came to my house, parked on my drive and rode up and down my street.

No baseball bats, stabbings or theft involved

mattjg
    Free Member

Been selling a car recently, IMO:
    * you can get a reasonable feel for someone with a phone conversation
    * I’ve decided nobody comes to my house (or gets my address) until I’ve seen a scan of photo id with their address eg driving licence

I’ve decided I won’t meet elsewhere in case they decide to turn up with some “helpers”.

gusamc
    Free Member

when a bloke bought a motorbike from me – he wanted a test drive (fair enough imo), so met in a layby, he had to bring cash in an envelope (show me cash then seal envelope), passport and I took a photo before he went off.

*edit there was a ‘phase’ when a few people left stolen vehicles as the deposit…

tall_martin

When I,ve sold or bought bikes I’ve a turned up and paid in cash.

I’ve been for some test rides, but not out of sight. None of the times has any one shown the rest of the bikes they have own where their bikes have been stored.

Always had a chat on the phone before hand to make sure everyone is happy with what’s getting sold

beefheart
    Free Member

Black up.
    Hide.
    Be prepared.

Like this guy.

warpcow
    Free Member

Black up.
    Hide.
    Be prepared.

Like this guy.

steviecapt
    Free Member

if you are worried, insist on holding the money while the buyer has a test ride if hes totaly honest and legit there should be no problem

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

Have done this quite alot of times over the years never had a problem with it.Mostly meet in service stations where alot of people are about.The bikes have not been over 1k mark.You can judge by the look of the people in general.We can all be caught out.What alot of people do ,as said above when selling motorbikes cash in hand or no test ride simple.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Meeting for possible bike sale… Protocol?’ is closed to new replies.