Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Med holiday in January, recommendations please..?
  • andypandy85
    Free Member

So the wife has decided that since we didn’t get a holiday this year, we should go somewhere for a week in January. Neither of us are bothered about sitting in the sun, so the med in January should be fine and plenty affordable. Considering the Canaries but open to other suggestions from peoples experiences. Not looking for somewhere full of English bars, and we enjoy getting out and about looking at scenery, history, whatever else there is on offer.

Any advice, recommendations or experiences much appreciated.

Cheers, Andy.

Edukator
    Free Member

Isola 2000 and Font Romeu aren’t far from the Med.

sparkerfix

Madeira? Plenty of walking etc and weather should be ok.( although its not the med!!)

wallop

Barcelona, Girona, Valencia – lots to see and car hire will be cheap.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Tunisia.

El Djem, Kairouan and more. Astonishing country, assuming it’s stable enough by then!

sleepless
    Free Member

the Dolomites for sun, snow,massive mountains and romance .. Fly sleazy jet to Venice, take hire car straight up motorway to capri area, back to venice for a day walk around alleys then hope back on plane.

Edukator
    Free Member

I lived in Barcelona one January. It was cold, windy and quite wet. I find it more pleasant in SW France on the Atlantic coast, as did Queen Victoria.

athgray
    Free Member

What about the Adriatic? Just back from a week in Dubrovnik. Stunning place and really friendly people. Slightly off the beaten trail so still fairly cheap. May now change with Croatia’s entry into the EU.

Tom-B
    Free Member

Rhodes. Amazing chilled out place. We stayed in Lindos when we went.

schrickvr6
    Free Member

Got back from Crete a few weeks ago and would definitely go back, loads to do in a relatively small place.

johndoh
    Free Member

Crete is huge. It’s the biggest of the Greek islands by a great deal.

mogrim

Both Canaries and Madeira are a far way from the Med…

If weather’s not a real concern I’d head to Rome or another major European city, if it’s semi-important southern Spain or Italy, and if you really want a bit of guaranteed winter sun I’d head out of the Med to the aforementioned Canaries or Madeira – though neither is that hot for history.

Not sure about Tunisia, Israel or Turkey, not been there – they could be good options though. A couple of years ago I’d have recommended Egypt, but given the current situation it’s probably not such a good idea.

wallop

Do many of the Greek islands shut down for winter? We spent our honeymoon in Oia, Santorini, towards the end of the season and I gathered nothing much was open between November and April.

johndoh
    Free Member

The big ones (Rhodes, Crete, Corfu etc) are open all year but not like height of summer.

If you want more guaranteed hospitality and weather try the Canaries.

lasty
    Free Member

southern coast of Turkey anyone ??

LOTS to see and climate is t-shirt …

Edukator
    Free Member

I’ve noticed that when I hear T-shirt wearers walking through Tignes at -20°C they are generally speaking English with a northern accent.

Turkey in Winter.

lasty
    Free Member

Turkey is a big – nay – BIG country educator sir ….
    Spent winter travelling around in an old dub camper so can assure you the south coast is as pleasant as its going to get, chilled out and easy going – head inland , get some altitude and it gets chilly.
    Get to Istanbul and expect snow 😉

mogrim

Don’t imagine the Greek islands are much better, I’ve been to Athens in March and it was wet and horrible. Though Athens at any time of year is probably horrible…

badnewz
    Free Member

Rome but wrap up warm. The whole med area is generally cold in Jan.

Canaries are generally good for sunshine at that time of year but there isn’t much to see.

Madeira sounds more interesting but I’ve not been.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Med holiday in January, recommendations please..?’ is closed to new replies.