Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Mediterranean cities on the coast
  • the-muffin-man

We’ve decided that we’d rather not do the beach/sunlounger fight thing this year and instead probably do 2 shorter breaks in mediterranean* cities (or towns) for 3 or 4 days each.

Where would you recommend that have easy flights, no massive transfers and are easy to get around by public transport – and possibly smaller coastal towns nearby for half a day on the beach.

Valencia? Marseille? Naples?

Friendly rather than ‘edgy’ preferred! 🙂

(*open to other options as well, as long as there’s sunshine!)

scotroutes

Barcelona?

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Ever been to Barcelona?

geoffj

Not Mediterranean, but Lisbon + Cascais is what we did in 2016 and it would tick most of your boxes.

julians
    Free Member

Palma

the-muffin-man

Hotel prices in Barcelona seem a good deal higher than other cities in July/August.

chakaping
    Free Member

Have a look at Cadiz in southern Spain.

Lovely place and has loads of beaches.

Fun fact: It’s the oldest city in western Europe.

(EDIT: It’s on the Atlantic rather than the Med though, just)

(2nd EDIT: Maybe a touch hot in July or August)

danradyr1
    Free Member

Split or Dubrovnik

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Not the Med but i’ve always fancied Dubrovnik. Don’t know much about it but it looks nice.

ourmaninthenorth

Nice, Cannes, Antibes immediately spring to mind. In fact, one trip would cover all of them.

Not on the Côte d’Azur: Bordeaux.

Don’t dismiss the Italian lakes – Como is a favourite.

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

Cadiz

Edit: Beaten to it.

paulx
    Free Member

Valencia is friendly and an easy walking city – or hire a city bike – great cycle path network round the town and along the old river bed.

Metro from airport to centre is about 20 mins. .

Lovely old town, good beach, tons of excellent restaurants. About 2/3rds the price of Barcelona for eating out, transport, hotels etc.

Maybe a day out here …http://mountainbikingvalencia.com !

I like Valencia – proper Spanish.

More stuff here:

http://www.visitvalencia.com/en/home

mefty
    Free Member

Pick two of the Maritime Republics, Pisa, Genoa, Amalfi, Venice, Ragussa (Dubrovnik)

chakaping
    Free Member

Cadiz

Edit: Beaten to it.

*raises glass of fino and nods*

pistonbroke
    Free Member

Tarragona, cheap flights to Reus from several UK airports, nice city centre 10 km from airport. Roman amphitheatre overlooking the Med. Plenty of nice hotels. Train to Barcelona in 30 mins, beach resorts to the south such as Cambrils, which is popular with French and Spanish locals. Off the beaten track so you might have to book hotel and flights separately. Train to the local hills and Priorat wine region. Huge theme park Port Aventura if you like that sort of thing. Oh, and I live near there

donald
    Free Member

Syracuse

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

Not all on the coast but take your pick of Andalusian towns and cities?
    Cordoba, Seville, Malaga, taking in Ronda?

Flamenco heaven, if you like that sort of thing.

zippykona

Valetta ,Malta.
    Excellent food and tons of history.

maccruiskeen

no massive transfers

You can walk into Nice along the beach from the airport

john_drummer
    Free Member

Cannes, Perpignan, Nice, Sorrento, Venice

beej

Syracuse, good call.

Not Pisa, there are much better places.

Alghero?

DougD

Barcelona, then you’ve got Girona which is beautiful a short train ride away, plus great beaches along the Costa Brava.

Valencia is great too, nice mix of town and beach.

Did a tour a few years ago of Granada, Rhonda, Cordoba and Cadiz which was fantastic.

CountZero

I should grab the chance to see Naples before it’s a cloud of volcanic ash climbing into the stratosphere.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/italy/10291443/Mount-Vesuvius-could-erupt-at-any-time.html

john_drummer
    Free Member

Next eruption could be like tha last one, in 1944. Damp squib compared to 79 AD

CountZero

On the other hand…

mogrim

Barcelona, then you’ve got Girona which is beautiful a short train ride away, plus great beaches along the Costa Brava.

Exactly what I was going to suggest. Girona is lovely. If you’re feeling masochistic there’s the Dali museum nearby in Figueres, but you need to get there early… Also worth hiring a car and checking out some of the medieval villages/towns in the area.

mccraque

Not the med, I know but we did a few days in Biarritz and San Sebastien (and a couple of days with Basque MTB as a bonus!) – Loved both towns.

And on the Adriatic – Dubrovnik and Split are great.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Syracuse, good call.

I had a long weekend mid November in Ortigia (the island bit of Syracusa) would definitely go back.
    Catania airport can be dire, allow plenty of time to check in and clear security.

BigJohn

In May, Mrs BigJohn and I are doing Cadiz, Tarifa and Malaga. We’re familiar with the last two and Cadiz sounds excellent. About to re-watch the Rick Stein programme for tips.

I have a rule: don’t go on holiday where there’s a civil war going on. But I might ignore that for Beirut which has always appealed.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Not Mediterranean, but Lisbon + Cascais is what we did in 2016 2012 and it would tick most of your boxes.

+1

Split or Dubrovnik

Although technically on the Adriatic, +1

globalti
    Free Member

Not a city and not actually on the beach but a lovely town; my sister and BIL went to Lucca in Italy and LOVED the place; they flew into Pisa.

Beirut looks a good bet too if you like noise, parties and charming hospitable people with the best food in the world.

chakaping
    Free Member

Mrs BigJohn and I are doing Cadiz, Tarifa and Malaga. We’re familiar with the last two and Cadiz sounds excellent. About to re-watch the Rick Stein programme for tips.

Jerez is worth a look too if you are flying in/out of there. As is El Puerto de Santa Maria (the other town of the sherry triangle, IIRC).

And if you like your grub, visit this place: http://www.elfarodelpuerto.com/index.asp

Went there 10 years ago and it was one of the best restaurants I’ve eaten at.

Not a city and not actually on the beach

Classic STW.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

I love Naples – it’s a bit mental and not for everyone. Public transport is a bit of a joke but everything you’re likely to want to see is within walking distance, apart from the the likes of Pompeii and Herculaneum which are relatively well served by he Circumvesuviana.
    English isn’t spoken everywhere but most Neapolitans respond well if you make a bit of an effort.

petec
    Free Member

oooh. Looks like my holiday plans of flying into Split, island hopping for a week or so, and then out of Dubrovnik could be a good move…

excellent! 😀

Marin
    Free Member

Im with bigjohn Cadiz after watching Rck Stein.

scuttler

Thread like – gonna treat me and the mrs to a trip to one of these places once I’ve fathomed out how to pay my tax bill.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

oooh. Looks like my holiday plans of flying into Split, island hopping for a week or so, and then out of Dubrovnik could be a good move…

excellent!

Do it! I lived on Kor?ula for seven months and have a real soft spot for it. The island is fascinating and the town is gorgeous. Mljet is 1/3 national park if memory serves and beautiful.

Hvar and Bra? are more touristy, but apparently have marked MTB trails now. I never actually ventured over to them.

Otherwise both Split and Dubrovnik are amazing; Split is more ‘local’ and Dubrovnik definitely more touristy. It’s also worth mooching inland to Bosnia.

petec
    Free Member

I think we’ve got three days in dubrovnik, three in mljet, two in korcula, three in Bol, and then a few in split (partly to head further up for a day or so). Gradually booking up all the airbnbs we can.

BigJohn

We went to Korcula & Dubrovnik in July. Bloody lovely. AirBnB and Expedia, and booked the day before.

Orebic and Viganj (just across from Korcula) were good too. It’s bloody steep for bike riding. Make sure your cycling shoes are comfortable to walk in.

Don’t take your car near Dubrovnik – the parking is ridiculously expensive. It was cheaper to take our hire car back to the airport.

Mackem

Not med but …

San Sebastian

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Mediterranean cities on the coast’ is closed to new replies.