Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Mechanical Or Electric Groupset?
  • notmyrealname
    Free Member

I’ve been looking at new groupset for the bike and quite like the looks of the new XT Di2.
    When I’ve been pricing up the 2×11 XT groupset I’ve noticed that the Eagle XX1 groupset is about the same price.
    I’ve not used Di2 at all but have previously had bikes that ran XX1 11 speed so have some experience of SRAM groupsets.
    The groupset will be going on a hard tail that’s used for XC racing along with some 12h racing.

So, which would you go for and why?
    Mechanical or electric?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I’ve seen the Di2 in use and it’s nice looking, smooth and seamless but the XT 2x just seems to be a strange beast, none of the best bits of a wide range cassette (which is bloated) and the extra of 2 rings and a front mech.

What sort of range do you find comfortable?

notmyrealname
    Free Member

Currently I’ve got one bike running 1×11 with a 32t on the front and a 10-42 XX1 cassette which covers most things and the hardtail has a worn out 1×10 set up with a 32t on the front and 11-36 at the back.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Sounds like you have no need for 2x then!
    My SRAM 11 is working nicely and and swapping out for the GX cassette makes it sensible cash and a decent weight set up

sillyoldman

2x Di2 with 11-40 would give wider range, with smaller gaps in ratio, and faster shifting with one shifter, so you use it as if 1x but with 2 rings. The iPad app allows you to customise the set up easily too. Love it!

everyone
    Free Member

Money no object, I’d go for XTR Di2 with an XX1 cassette.

Since money is an object for me I’ve got xtr mech shifter, xt mech and an x1 cassette.

notmyrealname
    Free Member

As much as I like the look of the XTR Di2 I think it’s a bit pricey. I reckon that it would be great as 1×11 though with an XX1 cassette.

Part of the reason I’m leaning towards a 2x set up is that I’m planning a couple if big rides next year and possibly a 24h race so the extra range might be welcome!

I really like the option with the XT of customising with the iPad, that’s not an option with the XTR without fitting the dongle but I’m not sure if you can do it if you fit the XT display?

jonba
    Free Member

My experiences from the road stuff is that it works better. However, it is pricey if you break stuff. Biggest challenge for me was learning how to fix it. I know mechanical so can diagnose and fix problem. I don’t know electronic. Had a dodgy connector which i sorted. You have to put up with the tedious “doesnt happen with cables” brigade when you get stuck.

fifeandy
    Free Member

For 12/24hr racing i’d take 2×11 electronic, a little extra range, but more importantly its self trimming so will continue to shift well even 6hrs in when the bike is covered with crud.
    Also bear in mind the cost of the Shimano is in the electrics, whereas Eagle has a lot of cost in consumable parts – screw replacing a £250 cassette every year.

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

As you mentioned that the di2 cost about the same as eagle.then I would go for eagle . All the simplicity of a 1X with a range of gears that will cover every eventuality .

Onzadog
    Free Member

Neither actually. I’d stick 1×11 so personally, without a front shift, it kind of makes di2 a bit pointless. However, I’d run the Hope 10-48 cassette on xtr shifters and your choice of XTR or XT rear mech.

However, you’ve not touted that as an option so I guess you’d discounted it already.

notmyrealname
    Free Member

Nothing’s been discounted yet, still looking around for ideas it’s just the two I mentioned were the two that stood out.

With regards the cost of the Eagle cassettes, I’m still on my original XX1 cassette and I’ve had it since it was launched! I’ve gone through a few chains and I reckon it’ll be finished after this chain but it’s done a good few miles so I’d hope Eagle would last as well.

One option would be to stick with 1×11 on both bikes so bits are interchangeable and for the price of the XT Di2 groupset I wouldn’t be far off he cost of converting both bikes to XT Di2 😀

sillyoldman

XTR does have iPad app option with the new XTR display (or XT one) and the Bluetooth enabled battery.

Sure – you can get big ranges with 1x set-ups, but the gaps in gears and the chainline at either extreme are both pretty poor.

bensales
    Free Member

On road I’m a full convert to electrickery and I won’t go back. But off road I can’t bring myself to do it. Especially running 1x, things like auto trim that are so useful on road are meaningless.

notmyrealname
    Free Member

XTR does have iPad app option with the new XTR display

I hand’t realised that they’d released a new XTR display, something to bear in mind.

Sure – you can get big ranges with 1x set-ups, but the gaps in gears and the chainline at either extreme are both pretty poor.

That’s definitely something I’m thinking of with regards the 2x set up. I think the smaller gaps would be a bit better for longer rides to give a bit more choice. I think they do a 38/28 crankset as well so that would give a pretty huge range with an 11/40 cassette.
    I think I’ll have to compare the range on the gear calculator website and see what it throws up.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Mechanical Or Electric Groupset?’ is closed to new replies.