Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • Meat Washing
  • Houns

No, not that meat!

In my training group of 20 at my new job, there are 3 of us who do not wash meat before cooking.

I have no idea how this came up but I now know I work with 17 freaks. Anyone else do this?

I’ve even Googled it and showed them that its more dangerous to do this but they insist theyre right!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Nope but I generally try and get the feathers or fur off…

johndoh
    Free Member

I rinse out a whole chicken (specifically the carcass) but otherwise never.

messiah
    Free Member

The reasons for not washing are to prevent cross contamination. The reasons for washing are to remove unwanted taints from the packaging.

Depends how the item is packaged for me.

2p.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

I think it’s not so much that washing the meat affects the meat so much as it spreads meaty germs around the kitchen sink

Helios
    Free Member

Washing meat is a great way of splashing raw meaty water all over your sink and probably the nice pile of clean washed dishes next to it – a super idea if you love salmonella, listeria, campylobacter and E. coli!

Edit – beaten to it…

messiah
    Free Member

Nope but I generally try and get the feathers or fur off…

King-ocelot
    Free Member

I have never washed any meat before cooking and was not aware this was the done thing.

EDIT: tried to find a joke with messiahs picture and the ‘pluck’ in the headline, but failed.

IHN

Never.

People are obsessed with cleanliness and hygiene these days. We went walking with the little lady’s mum and her walking buddies on Boxing Day and at the half-way turkey-butty and tea stop most of them were whipping out little alcohol gel bottles to clean their hands before eating. WTF?

tomhoward

Never even considered it. Posed the question to the office, response seems to be 50/50.

I’ve learn’t something today!

Coyote
    Free Member

Will wash and dry chicken breasts prior to making curry. Was advised to do this as it helps absorb the spices better.

Whether there is any truth or not, I don’t know.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Never crossed my mind to wash meat. What nasties are going to survive cooking?

IHN

Whether there is any truth or not, I don’t know.

You could probably take a guess…

philconsequence
    Free Member

i dont wash any food, the dog can lick off any nasties before it gets bunged in the oven/pan. same with the plates and bowls afterwards. save water, get a dog x

growinglad
    Free Member

I’m a meat washer and so is my wife.

warton
    Free Member

I rinse out a chicken, and will wash and dry the skin before cooking. I do the insides to get rid of any bitter innards that may be left, and wash and dry the skin as it helps get a very nice crispy skin on the chicken.

Nowt to do with germs for me, all to do with taste.

trb
    Free Member

all to do with taste

Except when it tastes of fairy liquid 😯

mind you I do have some lemon scented swarfega, might try that next

johndoh
    Free Member

Except when it tastes of fairy liquid

Just to be clear – I *rinse* only with cold water, I don’t use detergents.

growinglad
    Free Member

What!!! they wash it in “soap”!!!!????

I just give it a rinse to get any bone shards off (if it’s a steak with a bone) or other bits of scrap..

CaptJon
    Free Member

Use the curtains.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

the dog can lick off any nasties before it gets bunged in the oven/pan.

good idea, dog licks nasties off the plate then sterilise the dog by boiling it.
    clean dog AND clean dishes in one – chapeau

psling
    Free Member

It’s the only safe way…

messiah
    Free Member

The pheasant pluckers reward

nealglover
    Free Member

I have honestly never heard of anyone washing meat before cooking it.

I don’t talk about cooking that often though, so possibly I know a load of clean freaks as well 😯

People are weird.

philconsequence
    Free Member

top pheasant tip….. hoi sin sauce.

you may thank me later x

(other ways to save water involving the dog are to use it as a cloth for cleaning surfaces, the car, sinks etc.)

jota180
    Free Member

Best to cover all the bases and simply cook in the dishwasher

http://www.thegastronaut.com/index/Recipes_008_Salmon_in_dishwasher.html

wwaswas

I have honestly never heard of anyone washing meat before cooking it.

+1

except that time when my mum forgot to defrost the Turkey and it spent Christmas Eve under lukewarm running water. We had classy xmas dinners in them days 😉

Spongebob
    Free Member

I wonder if women who use chicken fillets to pad out their bra’s ever eat these and if so, whether they run the tap over them first.

Brings a whole new slant on the term “packed lunch”

warton
    Free Member

Except when it tastes of fairy liquid

I obviously just use water!

Please tell me people don’t use washing up liquid?

theblackmount
    Free Member

*laughs at the old curtains gag*

As for washing meat – WTF? Unless you are going to use disenfectant I think you are more likely to spread germs than prevent them. Cook the food to the correct temperature / job done.

grum
    Free Member

Never even considered it.

+1

umop3pisdn
    Free Member

Didn’t realise people did it. I rarely wash anything when cooking, never had food poisoning so see no reason to change. I find that the people who tend to fuss most over hygiene tend to be ill much more often than I am…

hugor
    Free Member

If the meat (steak) has been in the fridge too long and begins to get a bit slimy then I usually rinse it.
    Makes me feel better about eating it.

bigyinn
    Free Member

My mother in law washes mince. Well actually she boils it to cook it. Mmmm lovely, can’t beat a bit of brown scum in your saucepan.

brakes
    Free Member

Sometimes pat it with kitchen towel but never rinse it.
    What is Food Standards guidance?

bikebouy
    Free Member

Wash with Fairy Liquid and then use the Salad Spinner to dry afterwards.. *

*might not be true.

mogrim

Never heard of anyone washing meat, vegetables and fruit, yes. But meat???

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Ok so I am in the catering business have done everything from small boutique quality restarants to serving 2,500 people 4 course meals in Football stadiums’ hospitality. I have never seen nor heard of any of my chefs washing the meat.

Coyote
    Free Member

By washing, I meant rinsing under cold water and patting dry with kitchen roll. Hot water and detergents are not part of my routine.

martinhutch

FSA guidance is definitely do not wash – for cross contamination purposes.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/7906943/Washing-chicken-increases-food-poisoning-risk.html

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Meat Washing’ is closed to new replies.