Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)
  • meal ideas on idave diet
  • trickydisco
    Free Member

So what’s everyone having on the idave diet?

This morning I decided to ditch the bread and have spinach with poached eggs. Went to see my coach last night to show me some core stuff (god that sounds a bit fancy) and he said pasta is a the devils food and carb loading is a load of tosh 😀

So what are people on the idave diet having for lunch and evening meals? Just looking for inspiration as i’ve always been a sandwhich monster so it’s going to be tough quitting bread.

Jamie
    Free Member

Going to be doing a bastardised version of the iDave v1.0 plan from Monday. Breakfasts will include, bacon, bacon and eggs, eggs and bacon and bacon omelette.

For me the lunch and evening meals was the easy bit. Just swap carb heaving stuff for pulses or chunky veg like broccoli, cauliflower, asparagus etc.

trickydisco
    Free Member

Also picked up the 4 hour body book the other day.

he advocates drinking red wine every night- idave says the same about drinking red wine with meals

I’m a wine fanatic and have one to two glasses of red wine almost every evening. It doesn’t appear to have any negative impact on my rate of fat-loss. Red wine is by no means required for this diet to work, but it’s 100% allowed (unlike white wines and beer, both of which should be avoided). Up to two glasses of red per night, no more.

http://gizmodo.com/5709913/4+hour-body-+-the-slow+carb-diet

trickydisco
    Free Member

I switched to poached eggs on toast for breakfast so i think i’ll find switching to protein based breakfast easy.

it’s the lunch and evening i’ll struggle. No potatoes, rice or pasta.

iDave
    Free Member

I was sent a signed complimentary copy of the 4 Hour Body for sending the author some pertinent info when he was doing his research.

Not quite read all of it yet, but I have to say he’s on the money for all I’ve read so far.

Re’ meals, for me it’s been simple. Steak with veg and beans, salmon with asapagus, chili minus the rice, lamb chops with veg. Just forget that rice and pasta exist. For breakfast, don’t forget the veg. Cereal as breakfast is a marketing driven thing from just the last 40 years or so. Breakfast is just food you eat in the morning.

Instead of mashed potato, mash up some butterbeans, garlic and olive oil. I love it and I grew up in Ireland. Alternatively just keep eating carbs and be a fatty.

ianpinder
    Free Member

For lunch I just have soup. During the day if i get hungry I have carrots and nuts. In the evening is meat and veg. Lost 27 kg in total so far. Cheat days are generally dominos in the evening.

trickydisco
    Free Member

27kg!!.. oh my god that is amazing.

thanks idave.. really useful

trickydisco
    Free Member

Idave> what do you think about the whole carb loading thing for exercise?

Jamie
    Free Member

Alternatively just keep eating carbs and be a fatty.

Sweeping statement of the year?

iDave
    Free Member

if you’re doing serious endurance training you need carbs, but not the way it’s usually suggested. personally i’d take in more carbs the evening before an event and use some simple carbs during and after. but you don’t need mounds of pasta morning noon and night. i’m still learning about using low GI during training.

Sweeping statement of the year?

not as such

philconsequence
    Free Member

sorry for the annoying question, whats the big issue with rice? i’ve been using wholegrain rice with chicken/white fish + veg as a healthier meal in the evenings than meat + veg + potatos galore (mrsconsequence = BIG mashpotato fan)

i’m not saying i’m doing things right… just that (mistakenly?) thought it was healthier than the potato alternative and now i’m worried i’ve been undoing my efforts to eat better 🙁

surfer
    Free Member

I used the diet for 1 week and noticed a positive difference but I struggled to run (normally run around 6 days and 50 mpw) I added milk in the morning on Porridge and stuck to the diet for the rest of the time and felt fine.
    Prior to that I really struggled to run.

IanMunro
    Free Member

As a recent convert to butter-beans I feel gutted that I’ve been avoiding them for so long 🙂

iDave
    Free Member

if you feel low on energy you’re most likely not eating enough carbs – it’s not a low carb diet as such, but a low GI diet. Usually takes a few weeks for anyone doing plenty of endurance training to adjust.

scruff
    Free Member

Im currently scoffing salad & lemon juice, bacon, kidney beans and lean mince. Sort of a chilli salad.

spacemonkey

I’ve dabbled with iDave’s diet plus other low carb/high protein type ideas.

General theme IMO is to pick from the following:

Breakfast

eggs
    bacon
    cheese
    veg (typically choose anything from celery, courgettes, carrots, leeks, spring onions, shrooms, toms, olives, peppers, etc)
    fresh herbs

Lunch and supper

pretty much anything that avoids carbs/starch and most (some might say any) processed foods

Snacks

humus with celery/carrots
    nuts and dried fruit

I still have to exercise a good few hours/week to make or maintain any significant loss. But cutting out bread etc is pretty easy most of the time – other times not so. Hence I will sometimes indulge in noodles/spag when I feel like it.

EDIT: also have a protein shake first thing most morning, and then breakfast at brunch o’clock (just now in fact)

EDIT: soak and cook up a batch of pulses/lentils, then liquidise with herbs/spices – gives a solid base or accompaniment 2-3 days a week

Hairychested
    Free Member

Could anybody give me some pointers re: iDave’s diet please? I’d like to try it as it clearly works but don’t know much about it.

Luminous
    Free Member

As a recent convert to butter-beans I feel gutted that I’ve been avoiding them for so long

Thats the spirit !, give new things a go.
    😀

Veg chilli anyone ?, Onions, carrot, pepper, chick peas, kidney beans, quorn mince and a Schwartz Chilli mix. I can knock it up in around 45 mins and as iDave suggests, just leave out the rice.

Chick peas, pinto beans, cannellini beans with a tuna steak (getting a bit pricey) or a chunk of Salmon. Dressed with either the soy sauce dressing I posted last night or simple olive oil, lemon juice and black pepper dressing.

Stir fried pollock fillet cut into chunks, onions, peppers, carrot, beans sprouts, splash of rice vinegar or white balsamic and black pepper.

Home made Veg soup using Kalo low salt veg stock cubes, add chunks of white fish as an option, but obviously not veg soup anymore if you do.

Been getting into lentils, had some this morning for breakfast.
    sweat done a couple of chunked onions, a diced carrot and a few rashers of dry cure back bacon ( I did 6 rashers), with the fat cut of, sliced and diced.
    Splash of white balsamic cook down for 5 mins, then add 500g of rinsed lentils, add water, and a few Kalo low salt stock cubes.
    I’ve made enough for breakfast tomorrow and some for a snack later if I wish.
    Very tasty and I’m thinking iDave V1.0 compliant.
    But I shall be eating other things today, the lentils will be spaced out during the next couple of days.

Steamed veg with nice fillet of Pollock is a good evening meal.

Theres loads of meal ideas. Just go to a website, try the BBC food site, and just see if you can find dishes that contain, or could be modified to contain low GI.

😀

Luminous
    Free Member

Don’t forget your one day a week, when anything goes and you can indulge all those foods you’ve been avoiding, the previous 6 days.

And a few drinks, Hic ! 😉

philconsequence
    Free Member

so is the wholegrain rice bad for me or just not as good as lots of beans? 😕

Scamper
    Free Member

I take it the iDave diet is low simple carbs (good GI carbs allowed) high protein?

Doing something along those lines and only into day three, but for the first few weeks, even less carbs. Feel fine apart form a slight headache (could be the caffine free coffee adjustment). Felt a tad tired on the ride last night, but that could be any number of reasons. Not missing naughty stuff, toast, cereal, whole grain pasta at all.

Today
    2 Bacon rashers and 2 chipolattas for breakfast
    Aubergine and mince bake avec cheese sauce for lunch
    Steak and tossed salad for tea

All with butter/mayo as needed but don’t seem to be fancying much

Nutts for snacking.

Shed loads of water

Luminous
    Free Member

All with butter/mayo as needed but don’t seem to be fancying much

Scamper, I’d cut the butter and Mayo out if I were you.

However, eating an undressed salad isn’t something I like to do, so I’ve gone for the dressings, I mostly use either an olive oil, lemon juice and black pepper dressing or a soy sauce dressing I found and modified, which is extremely tasty.

neil853
    Free Member

Idave, may applogies as i know you’ve sent me the details before, would you mind doing it again?

Another question is that i ride circa 4-5 times a week inc commuting, is this still suitable for the idave diet?

neil853
    Free Member

Also, where would protein shakes fit in with this?

Scamper
    Free Member

My diet seems big on cream, mayo and butter – for example cook steak in butter (i’d usually just add a tad of oil) than add cream to residue for the sauce. Not eating much – a spoonful here or there should not make a difference.

I can also have low carb protein shakes ie ones without shitty additives.

ianpinder
    Free Member

Neil I run before work 3 time a week and I’m in the gym every weekday evening. Then at the weekends I ride in saturday and play American football. Seems ok at the minute.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

My diet seems big on cream, mayo and butter – for example cook steak in butter (i’d usually just add a tad of oil)

How can that be any good for you?

2 Bacon rashers and 2 chipolattas for breakfast

How is that better for you over a bowl of healthy cereal?

Scamper
    Free Member

David – decent quality bacon and sausages, not shitty economy stuff.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

But still, there must be loads of fat in all of that stuff?

IanMunro
    Free Member

Hopefully.

Luminous
    Free Member

DT.

Don’t shoot the messanger mate 😀

iDave is just sharing what he believes, based on his experience / observations, etc.

None of us are resposible for the design of the human digestive system or what our bodies do with certain food types.

But clever types appear to have worked out whats happening and then kinda worked out what might be worth considering for food, and what to leave out.

a bowl of healthy cereal
    Now thats a loaded statement.
    😉

In fact, its interesting. What does healthy mean ?.

Wharfedale
    Free Member

Tesco spicy taco bean mix….mmm great especially with some chorizo mixed in. Tasty meal for less than £1 in less than 3 minutes.

Luminous
    Free Member

But still, there must be loads of fat in all of that stuff?

This isn’t about avoiding fat in your daily diet, this is low GI.

But still, I trim fat from Bacon, and I do not add fat/butter/lard to anything I cook.

😀

Scamper
    Free Member

Not too bad especially if its all grilled and obviously you are eating lower fat protein as chicken, fish etc and generally food with good fat in and no simple carbs or shitty additives for example in packaged “low fat diet meals”.

Luminous
    Free Member

Wharfedale.

Like your style, if thats low GI, then its quick, tasty and got to be a winner.
    😉

Dress beans with something tasty, add meat, keep it all low GI, jobs a goodun.

EDIT:

no simple carbs or shitty additives for example in packaged “low fat diet meals”.
    Spot on !

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

What are the other benefits to this diet apart from weight loss?

Scamper
    Free Member

Other benefits – you gradually add in low GI complex carbs to build up a fully healthy diet with things like white bread/crunchy nut cornflakes and processed foods no longer an option. Oh bugger……

Doing it out of curiosity but seen some benefits already.

Luminous
    Free Member

What are the other benefits to this diet apart from weight loss?

I’m not qualified in anyway on this subject, I’m just suffering from a bit of enthusiasm for it.

Have Kitchen, Will Cook !.
    😉

However, I would suggest that should you reduce the quantity of fat you have in your body, then you might expect to benefit from all those aspects of owning and enjoying a leaner body, that being lighter is thought to bring.

Quicker on the bike, less likely perhaps to suffer from excess weight related health issues, etc.

😀

iDave
    Free Member

the diet is not about calories, but insulin, and the affect that certain food has on your insulin levels, hence fat metabolism and storage.

there is a growing weight of evidence that processed simple carbs are behind the obesity epidemic, rather than fatty food. ie it’s the bun not the burger that makes you fat.

the main advantage the diet brings to me is that I’m eating exceptionally healthy fresh food, not getting sugar rushes, steady energy levels through the day and not fat.

it’s not a ‘diet’ in the sense of a way to eat to lose weight, but a diet as a way of eating now and forever more.

brassneck

Easy peasy dhal I found in a toddler cookbook:

Sweat an onion with a little butter if wanted or olive oil
    Chuck in a couple of carrots finely diced.
    Allow about 3 minutes more
    200g of red lentils (come dried in a pack, about 80p a Kg) in with curry powder or garam masal and chilli powder to taste.
    Stir well to get everything coated.
    Pour on around .5L of water (I am naughty an often use a little veg stock)
    It’ll look like drowned sick – give it about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally and it turns into a lovely dhal / lentil sludge.
    Handful of frozen peas or a other greens few minutes before serving.

Filling and pretty tasty though YMMV – I’m veggie and ex smoker gave up on taste other than hot or salty years ago 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘meal ideas on idave diet’ is closed to new replies.