Viewing 14 posts - 81 through 94 (of 94 total)
  • McCanns: is this not ill-advised
  • Torminalis
    Free Member

You know exactly what types of risk we are talking about, Torminalis. You seem to be arguing for the sake of it, which is just as distasteful as GlitterGary’s joke.

Not quite sure how that works, I was just making a point about how in life, we are always subject to risk. The McCanns make a judgement about risk which they will regret for the rest of their lives but they are not the first and will certainly not be the last. Plenty of people take far higher risks and come out unscathed. Others do everything to minimise the risk but are very unlucky.

I also do not understand how my wishing to call to account the more judgemental and cruel posters is comparable in any way to making a joke about a dead/missing child. There are very few things that really mess with me but child abduction is one of them. There have been loads of people on this thread who have basically said they deserved it. Those are the people who are out of line, not me me old mucker.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

And actually given the lobour government changed the way crime figures are reported, the ‘records’ are not exactly a like for like comparison are they?

Wrong again. Crime figures for the national crime survey are truly independent and a good comparison. They show offences against children are down dramatically.

You really need to stop believing the tabloids on this.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Torminalis. No one has said that.

They “don’t deserve the public sympathy” is not the same as “they deserved to have their child abducted”

toys19
    Free Member

You really need to stop believing the tabloids on this everything.

Fixed that.

PS I knew I’d find a chink, finally I can (slightly) disagree with you. 😆

IdleJon

There are very few things that really mess with me but child abduction is one of them. There have been loads of people on this thread who have basically said they deserved it. Those are the people who are out of line, not me me old mucker.

That’s fair enough, Torminalis. I can’t sympathise with them, but they certainly didn’t deserve it.

I get a little angry when people try to excuse the McCanns’ behaviour by saying that everyone else does things like this. Most normal people don’t.

toys19
    Free Member

That’s fair enough, Torminalis. I can’t sympathise with them, but they certainly didn’t deserve it.

I get a little angry when people try to excuse the McCanns’ behaviour by saying that everyone else does things like this. Most normal people don’t.

I wouldn’t have done it, they did not deserve it, but I can still sympathise.

iain1775
    Free Member

You really need to stop believing the tabloids on this

I havent read a newspaper in years TJ
    and I certinaly don’t generally believe the rubbish they write

I do however have a child…….

Torminalis
    Free Member

They “don’t deserve the public sympathy” is not the same as “they deserved to have their child abducted”

Fair point, I can get a little steamed up on the subject because it freaks me out but nonetheless, what I intended to say was that there seem to be people on this thread who deem the McCanns culpable which to me is just horrible.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

So where do you get your information that dangers for children are increased?

toys19
    Free Member

So where do you get your information that dangers for children are increased?

Indeed?

GrahamS

It’s not uncommon in my experience – different lives I guess.

I would think that almost all cases of child abduction by a stranger have some aspect where the parents wish they had acted differently, even if it is just leaving your son for fleeting moment while you get your order from the butcher’s shop (Denise Bulger) or letting her go with her friend to buy some sweets after a family barbeque (Soham).

GrahamS

I just don’t see that saying (paraphrasing) “they don’t deserve any sympathy because they left their children alone” is that much different to saying they deserved it.

Both sound incredibly callous to me.

crikey
    Free Member

Hmmm, I’ll tell you what, any lapses of taste on here are nothing compared to what’s out there in internet land. I have no intention of kicking off any guilty/not guilty thing, but even a cursory look will reveal the extent to which the whole affair captured the imagination of a number of people.

Mobile phone records, accusations of paedophilia, it’s all there conspiracy fans…

I remember commenting at the time about how the Mcanns use of the media was like riding a tiger….

crankboy
    Free Member

I don’t think the Mcann’s did anything particularly unusual. I suspect that many parent’s are absolutely terrified for their children’s safety and so when they read of this case seek to identify fault on the Mcann’s part in order to convince themselves that this horror could not happen to them.

The truth is that such events are very very rare it is exceedingly unlikely that any child brought up in a healthy way could be entirely protected from abduction.

I would suggest that rather than trying to demonise two obviously loving parents energy would be better spent in identifying the causes of offending and trying to locate the child. It is as likely that she is still alive as it is that she is dead. Were I in the Mcann’s shoes I would not stop until I had an answer and if I needed brass I would certainly sell the story.

I do agree that the use of the Media was like ridding a tiger but unfortunately the Tabloids will spin any response even a dignified silence any way they want to sell a story and blame those close to the victim is always good copy.

Viewing 14 posts - 81 through 94 (of 94 total)

The topic ‘McCanns: is this not ill-advised’ is closed to new replies.