Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Maxxis single ply and tubeless — will it work?
  • nasher
    Free Member

Has anyone used the maxxis 2.35 single ply (wire bead) tyres in their tubeless setup (with latex)?

I have used the dual ply tyres with no problems but want to go a bit lighter. Only problem i can foresee is possible weak sidewalls.

Saw the LUST ones but they are expensive

The wheels are mavic crossmax XS so proper tubeless rims.

Ta

RichPenny
    Free Member

I tried 2.35 SP Minions with a stans rim strip in WTB rims. Admittedly only used a track pump, but couldn't get them to stay up.

nasher
    Free Member

WTB rims and maxxis dont mix

however hard you pump them its near impossible to get the bead to sit properly in the rim.and thats with a tube!!!

RichPenny
    Free Member

Seem ok to me nasher, got the minions on with tubes and running Ignitor LUSTS on the other bike, both with WTB speeddisc rims.

rc200f8
    Free Member

no problem with folding 2.4 advantages, but I have spent ages trying to inflate some wire bead tioga dh's, even with a compressor

nasher
    Free Member

What sort of terrain do you ride yours. any pinch flats etc…

Sam

Quite a few Maxxis tyres tubeless in the stable here with no problems at all.

Vortexracing

tried

High rollers
    Swampthings
    Crossmarks

all worked a treat

doug_basqueMTB.com

I'm using 2.35 singleply minions, wire bead on 819's. They go up fine with a track pump and sealant.

I'm waiting to see how I get on because we're pretty rocky. The last set of LUST's didn't last very long! I've used them in the UK and they seem solid enough.

sv

I had to go up to 60psi to pop the bead into the rim hook. My single plys work well on WTB Trail rims.

BigJohn

JRA recommend them as Ghetto tubeless.

nasher
    Free Member

Thanks for the responses guys

Doug, some of your terrain is similar to mine, would be interesting how you get on.

Are they the single ply's you are using?

carlphillips
    Free Member

sp hr on mine, all good no probs.

doug_basqueMTB.com

Hi Nasher, they're singleply's so I'll let you know how i get on. I'll be back there in a week or so and getting out as much as possible so should find out pretty quickly.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I thought tubeless was meant to be ****, nasher?

HendyTreker
    Free Member

Currently using singleply non – ust Minions on xm719 rims with a Stans kit – went up and stayed up no problems.

nasher
    Free Member

Tubeless in the UK was brilliant when I used it, but in Italy I had no end of problems with tyres popping off the rim covering me in latex.

But things moves on and it seems much better and a lot of local French DH'ers using it. So im prepared to eat humble pie and give it another try.

Not sure whether single ply will be the way to go on our terrain.

That said Ray will never be convinced though

cheers_drive

Single ply HR and Advantage on XT tubeless wheels here and no problems. I have had problems with exception carcass tyres burping on a ghetto tubeless set up .

cynic-al
    Free Member

interesting. I wasn't aware of any significant developments in UST recently.

nasher
    Free Member

I always used ust since 2002 in the UK, but it never worked in Italy on the descents for me.

That was 5 years ago and not many manufacturers made good UST tyres then…so will give it a another go.

BTW this is only for the AM/XC bikes the DH/FR bikes will remain with tubes for now.see how I get on.

Baldysquirt

Maxxis are Just Riding Along's tyre manufacturer of choice for tubeless conversions, so they definitely work. I'm sure Matt H will be along shortly to shed more light on this.

SBrock
    Free Member

Single Ply HR's and Swampy's on DT5.1 rims, no problems whatsoever!

JonEdwards
    Free Member

I've tried using single ply non-usts tubeless. Works OK on the front, but I had no end of burping issues on the back. This was Surrey hills stuff, so hardly rocky. The other issue is that the sidewalls are very flimsy so the tyre doesn't maintain it's shape so well.

If I go up to the Peaks I can pinch flat the UST versions easy enough, even on my xc bike, so I wouldn't even consider the single ply non-usts run tubeless.

On the other hand, Elaine runs the same setup, and has no problems what so ever, so it depends how abusive you are.

SBrock
    Free Member

If I go up to the Peaks I can pinch flat the UST versions easy enough, even on my xc bike, so I wouldn't even consider the single ply non-usts run tubeless.

Sorry mate, but I have been down the Beast, Suicide Brake with DT5.1d, Ghetto Single Ply High Rollers at 32 psi with no burping or problems whatsoever – it must be you!!

PS I'm a big lad and I throw my bike around on those Peak descents – the rockier the better!

nickegg
    Free Member

I've run Minion DHF and Crossmark with no problems on DT E540 and Mavic XM 317 rims. Used a track pump to inflate and seat the bead.

I have also used a 2-ply Super Tacky High Roller on the front, ghetto tubeless, and that was stupidly grippy. Too heavy for normal use but it'll be going back on my 5 for my Alps trip in September. I was able to run low pressures with very little squirming from the tyre. Perfect if you're down than up!

SBrock
    Free Member

a lot depends on rim/trye combo I'm afraid – everyone I know who runs DT5.1/HR combos have no problems!

nickegg
    Free Member

You're running too low pressures if you're burping them that easily! I never had burping issues here in the South West and it's rockier here than Surrey.

They are non-UST tyres after all so there has to be some compromise!

nosedive
    Free Member

Ive had varying results on D521 with rim strips

the thin exception higroller 2.1s were shredded within about 3 weeks but the thicker HR 2.35s have been glued to the front with no issues for a year now with rides in dark peak and even wharncliffe. I went for a dual ply for the back of the hardtail though just to give a bit of extra security

VanHalen

You're running too low pressures

i thought the idea of tubeless was to run lower pressures yet avoid pinch flats??

FuzzyWuzzy

I run a 2.25 Advantage on the rear (non-UST but is a folding version), sealed well after about 15 minutes of sloshing the sealant about once it was inflated. Not had problems with it since either (fitted it over 6 months ago).

nasher
    Free Member

Hmmmmmm

looks like I will have problems with the single ply on alpine terrain, I dont run my tyres higher than 30 on the front.

Will maybe have to stick with the UST or dual ply at quite a weight increase.

doug_basqueMTB.com

Nasher, I wouldn't write it off just yet! I ride with a bunch of really fast spanish guys and they're getting away with singleply tubeless upfront. The terrain here is plenty rocky and fast and long. I guess it depends how you ride, but I think that I'll get away with it on the front, the back is another matter obviously! I've been using the 2.5ust highrollers on the front and it's quite a weight penalty.

nasher
    Free Member

Thanks doug

I have ordered both single and dual so if they dont work they will be OK for the hire bikes and the missus.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Maxxis single ply and tubeless — will it work?’ is closed to new replies.