Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Maxxis Ardent/Minion
  • erny
    Free Member

Anyone running maxxis ardent tyres on there bike,i've got a five and i'm running Nobby Nics on mine,had a weekend in the lakes and they where a bit sketchy on sunday in the rain,was thinking ardent front and back or ardent on the back and may be minion xc or high roller on the the front?

swavis

Off to Spain tomorrow with exactly that combination. Tried it out on Saturday in the Cairngorms and was most impressed.
    Should have a really good idea in a week though 😉

james
    Free Member

One thign to bear in mind would be that a 2.25" ardent will be a lot bigger than a 2.35" Minion or High roller. (a 2.5" Minion/HR is about the same)[Minion/HR/LarsenTT/Ignitor = old tread)(Advantage/Crossmark/Ardent = new tread which come up far bigger]. Depends if you're bothered about tipping the bike forward a touch with the difference or not

GavinB

I know what you mean about the Nobby Nic not being absolutely ideal for the Lakes. I did back to back rides around the Borrowdale Bash: one with a Nobby Nic on the back and the other with a High Roller 60a on the back.

The difference was pretty clear – but then the Nobby is a race tyre, so handling is a little compromised to keep it fast rolling. On pure rocky trails it will skitter around.

Also tried the Ardent and its pretty nice – but REALLY wide and james says.

the_lecht_rocks

i have the Ardent 2.25".
    don't like them at all. no feedback, little lateral / side grip.
    they do roll very well however and are reasonably lightweight.
    i'm seriously under impressed by them unfortunately 🙁

deadpool2e
    Free Member

my mate raves about the Ardents, but he has the 2.4 ones. i want to try Minions FR. does anyone know if they do UST versions?

jam-bo

i'd like to try the ardent next time i need some dry tyres.

apparently they have to be cranked over quite hard to get the grip, if not then they feel a bit loose.

j-claw
    Free Member

Minion Super Tacky front, High Roller 60A rear.

End of discussion.

matthew_h
    Free Member

The Ardent has quite a gap between the central tread and the side knobs meaning you have to commit pretty firmly to cornering on them to get past the gap. Once you're leant in enough though the grip is good.

mikertroid
    Free Member

Useing Ardent front and Cross Mark rear. V impressed.

Thought my old Nobby Nick wasn't a bad rear tyre-quite grippy.

Suggsey
    Free Member

I think Minnions do come in the FR UST but quite costly. My Minnions are tyre of choice when it comes to any rocky or serious (for me) 'freeriding'.

KevinPP
    Free Member

Using 2.25 Ardents front and rear. They have been great around the South Downs and several trips to Wales over the summer. Def large volume. I am not a great leaner but never had any problems cornering hard. Been running them tubeless too with no problems.
    I would be thinking of taking them off soon though. The grip is good but the tread is not that high. Will keep them on as long as they feel good but I think the Mud X will go back on for the worst of the winter.

erny
    Free Member

Put an ardent on the back and a high roller on the front yesterday and went for a very very wet ride around rivi,as others have said the 2.25 ardent is massive compared to the HR so felt like the back was jacked up a bit,felt a bit slidey climbing on wet rocks so not 100% about them yet

joiner
    Free Member

with Suggs on this one run minions front and rear

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Maxxis Ardent/Minion’ is closed to new replies.