Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Maxle or 12mm thru?
  • Lifer
    Free Member

Final beefing up of my Meta is the rear axle. I’ve had 10mm bolt through pro2 before but no experience of 12mm or maxle so just looking for advice on pros and cons.

Front is 25mm bolt up so I’m carrying allen keys anyway, does the maxle offer any other advantages over bolt up?

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

They’re all pretty much the same from a stiffness point of view. I do like the Hope bolt-in system, but it’s main advantage is that it makes putting a singlespeed wheel in much easier as you don’t have to put the axle through whilst tensioning the chain.

My priority would be ensuring as much cross-compatibility between bikes so wheels can be swapped rather than anything else about the system. If all your bikes are Maxle etc then you’ve got backup if you break an axle too.

Your front is 20mm btw, not 25mm.

Lifer
    Free Member

Cheers, only the one mountain bike so reckon I’ll go thru.

paulrockliffe – Member

Wanna bet? 😀

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    stompweaver

I have tried both 12mm bolt through and Maxle on my Meta and I can’t tell the difference in stiffness between the two. Maxle is much easier to use and a lot convenient though so I have stuck with that. Bolt through is a faff in comparison.

johnellison
    Free Member

If the OPs using a Specialized or Hanebrink front end then it will be 25mm

Lifer
    Free Member

Yeah I got faff at the front though so not too worried about that.

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

25mm, every day’s a school day!

Lifer
    Free Member

Dropouts on the way, now to find a hub!

Northwind

A well designed 12mm bolt-in or maxle should perform pretty much equally, peas through mattresses territory… I don’t like the extra faff of my Orange bolted axle compared to a maxle or my Herb’s single-bolt axle but it’s no biggy.

Way I see it is I’ll never want to take the back wheel out, unless I’m doing something else that needs tools anyway- ymmv but the only time I’ll do that is for a repair.

Lifer
    Free Member

Yeah I’m carrying tools anyway for the front plus the maxle dropouts and axles are a bit more expensive.

Plus [minor point] I think the bolt up looks cleaner than the maxle with the lever sticking out [/minor point]

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Maxle or 12mm thru?’ is closed to new replies.