Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Mavic road wheels?
  • FOG

Need a new wheel for my road bike and have seen an odd out-of year Mavic Kysirium at a good price but I have not had good experiences with Mavic mtb wheels which have broken and worn out quicker than expected. Are the road wheels any better or am I better hanging on until I can afford something else?

funkrodent

Think I may have bought exactly the same wheel as you. Was it a rear per chance? And off a King Arthur related site? Nice wheel that.

Their road wheels are fine. I’m 6’4″ and 16 stone and had a Cannondale for two years with entry level Aksiums on it. Used it daily for commuting on pretty rough roads and lots of weekend 40-50 milers and the wheels stayed true the whole time. You’ll find a few people on threads who don’t like Mavic if you look hard enough, but at least as many who do and no more haters than for any other brand. If it’s priced at around £109.99 I’d say go for it 😉

zinger
    Free Member

I wouldnt buy another mavic road wheel I had a cassette side rear spoke go on a ride on Mavic Kysirium, and ended up having to walk 10 miles home as the wheel went out of true by at least 3 cm’s !!, so the wheel wouldnt turn in the frame

FOG

Bang on FR . I broke the axle in a rear Reynolds that I got cheap a few years ago. I could get a replacement but it was £ 99! The rim’s starting to wear a bit anyway so I was looking for a light wheel which wouldn’t break the bank and with a M discount code it won’t cost anymore than the axle.

FOG

You bought the last one!

meehaja
    Free Member

Good wheels, expensive spokes if they pop though

globalti
    Free Member

I’ve done nearly 6000 miles on my Ksyrium SLs and they are as straight and true as the day I bought them. I’m very careful to pick grit out of the brake blocks and keep the rims clean. I can see myself getting 20,000 miles out of them at the present rate.

funkrodent

You bought the last one!

Sorry about that! If its any consolation, I thought I’d bagged a £200 SRAM front wheel for £49 off Planet-X at the same time, only for them to refund the money after I’d paid for it because someone got there just before me.

You win some you lose some… 🙂

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

I looked at Mavics for my road bike, but you see a lot of broken hubbed wheels on fleabay , which put me off. i do like Mavic wheels,but bought Shimano RS81’s in the end.

funkrodent

Hopefully this one will be ok. In my experience if something’s going to go wrong with the wheel it’ll happen fairly early on, particularly given my size and unforgiving riding style. Will be fitting it in a couple of days so I’ll post if anything untoward happens.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Mavic road wheels?’ is closed to new replies.