Home Forums Bike Forum Mavic Crossride 26"

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Mavic Crossride 26"
  • properbikeco
    Free Member

Any good?
    I can get a new set for £120 for my steel hardtail.
    Any horror stories or should I be considering something else?
    Looking for whatever wheels to have a decent rim width to help tyre profile.

rickmeister

Ours have been solid, dependable and no fuss for ages and tubeless is easy…

mtbfix

£120 will also buy you a set of Superstar wheels or something of that ilk. They’ll use standard spokes and rim specs so any potential repairs will be easier.

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

I still have a set on my on-one from 2008 , still true and used alot up unitl last year including bike packing trips on the scandal

timidwheeler

I’m on my second they have hub issues. I’ll try and find the thread.

properbikeco
    Free Member

any recommendations for alternatives

moon on a stick

lightish, cheapish, wideish rims etc

DezB
    Free Member

Go for the Crossrides. Ones on my singlespeed have been on there untouched for about 5-6 years. Used to be in daily use for taking the dog out in all weathers.

Either them or something 2nd hand, should be able to get something decent what with 26 being out of fashion.

stayhigh

Used to have a set of these from 2008 which lasted from spare bike to main bike to commuter for about 6 years without any trouble at all.
    In that time they did a lot of mimes in manner of conditions and didnt miss a beat.
    Great wheel for the money IMHO.

timidwheeler

5-6 year old ones don’t seem to have many issues. It’s the less than 4 year old ones that have problems.

murf
    Free Member

I’ve got a set on both bikes, 6-8 years old and stood up to the worst Scottish weather/mud.
    One rear needed trued and a couple of spokes snapped, lbs had straight pull spokes of correct length in stock for 50p each, just not the flat blade mavic ones.

Get them 🙂

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

Mine with the bladed spokes have been solid. Made such a difference to my cube acid hardtail, I just can’t part with the bike, so it’s gone 1×10 for winter.. remember my first ride on them went through a field that is known as the field of the cow hoof craters , it just kept on rolling , first time I’ve got across it

Poopscoop

I had Crossrides for a few years. Fantastic value wheels.

My only concern was that spares such as spokes had a reputation for being made from unobtanium.
    That said, I never actually needed to get any spares for them.

guido

I got some a couple of months ago. The rear hub now has so much play I think I’m going to send it back.

cookeaa

I have an ancient pair of crosslands (same hub/spokes, “UST” rim)… Keep waiting for the rear to let go so I can replace it still hasn’t.

Once one of the straight spokes let’s go they will be getting binned though, not keen on replacing those TBH…

stevemuzzy
    Free Member

I ran a pair on my on one summer season for a couple of years. No maintenance and they were down some decent hard stuff like fort bill!

devash
    Free Member

£120 will also buy you a set of Superstar wheels or something of that ilk. They’ll use standard spokes and rim specs so any potential repairs will be easier.

This is actually quite an important point. I had a lovely set of Fulcrum wheels in a similar price range to the Crossrides, however I had to bin the rear wheel after a couple of the spoke nipples rounded because it was impossible to source spares for them.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Mavic Crossride 26"’ is closed to new replies.