Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 128 total)
  • "Maurice" as a boys name…
  • skulldigger
    Free Member

Thanks for the link Stirlingcrispin
    That’s quite an interesting list ?

alpin
    Free Member

i know a Moritz… and several Adolfs.

my sister’s little ‘un is Stanley.

Sidney goes well with Stanley.

tmb467
    Free Member

My dad is Maurice. His grandfather was Maurice. As was his grandfather

my first born son is meant to be called Maurice – tho I’ve not managed to produce any offspring yet

km79
    Free Member

Nope.

jimdubleyou

Go with something strong. Isambard won’t be a common name for a while.

I always think of the Bee Gees when the name Maurice comes up, but I’m getting on a bit now.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Maurice? Twit twoo

premier
    Free Member

My cats called Morris, hes cool

olddog

Maurice cut my hair when I was a kid.

My great uncle Morris “Mossie” was an interesting character, got “emigrated” back from Chicago to Ireland at end of 1920s.

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

Maurice Oldfield, the man on whom George Smiley was based.
    Maurice Bowra
    Maurice White in earth wind and Fire…
    And then Chevalier…. Strange how they don’t play “thank heavens for little girls” anymore…

Wouldn’t be my first choice but one of my sons has Lorenzo as a middle name…

fruitbat

Maurice is OK but how about Snake (as in Plissken) 😀

aracer
    Free Member

Good anecdote! A few names which are shared by more than one child in both my kids’ classes. There certainly are more popular names even if people do try to avoid them – if you want a name which is currently uncommon then you could do worse than to pick from your list of names of schoolmates (the name of one of my sons is on that list – I’m yet to come across another child with that name, nor that of my other son which was also a popular name amongst my schoolmates).

Though I’m curious about a couple of things – if there were 4 or 5 of each of those boys’ names in your class, were there no boys with any other names, or how big was your class? Nicholas also seems quite a strange name for a girl.

skulldigger
    Free Member

[Maurice? Twit twoo]

Google that and am enlightened to the world of pop up owls. Magnificent!

ninfan
    Free Member

The great:

[video]http://vimeo.com/150680626[/video]

fantastic bloke!

jambalaya
    Free Member

^^ private video, link works fyi 😉

nasher
    Free Member

My old boss, as Welsh as they cone was called Maurice Prenderghast

BigJohn

I have a nephew called Austin.

siwhite
    Free Member

OP – sorry, I think Maurice is not a great name.

Morris is better, but it breaches the little rule I have about never substituting a Christian name for a surname (Mason, Tucker, Riley etc).

I heard of a newborn boy who had been named Cromarty after the shipping forecast sea area; I rather like it.

We had Mallory and Sterling on our boy’s name list, amongst others.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

I like the name OP. My advice, having had (still have) 2 children, is keep the names to yourself until it’s too late. The only opinions that matter are the parents’. I guess the childs’ too but by the time they’re old enough to have an voice theirs it’s too late.

We avoided any names in the top 50-100 ish as we didn’t want either of them to be amongst 10 other ‘Alfie’ or ‘Jack’ in the class.

huckleberryfatt
    Free Member

Makes me think of the EM Forster novel

ocrider

Makes me think of Maurice Moss.

DrJ

Makes me think of the EM Forster novel

Yessss. Pronounced Morris, IIRC.

bob_summers

A woman who described herself as “A little bit Bridget, a little bit Ally, a little bit Sex And The City” and chose to call her baby boy Fred as a childishly rebellious attempt at a clever reaction to those who might have expected her to call him Julian or Rupert. Bit of advice: call him Rupert, it fits, and besides it’s a good name. Don’t be calling him Fred or Archie, with all its cheeky but lovable working class scamp connotations, unless you really do have plans for him to spend his life in William Hill’s waiting for them to weigh in at Newton Abbot.

[video]http://youtu.be/rBM_MIT9EOM[/video]

squirrelking
    Free Member

Makes me think of Maurice Moss.

Yup. Or a mild mannered civil servant who has a secret double life as an Austin Maestro enthusiast (he has five, and a Montego).

Cletus

It would be ok as long as the surname is not “Day”

thebees
    Free Member

Pronounced Morris, an excellent choice. The other way can’t be said without a hint of 70’s hairdresser campness, which is also excellent if that’s what you’re aiming for.

_tom_
    Free Member

Maurice… and I thought I had it rough with my gf dead set on calling our boy Jackson (which sounds far too American to me)!

jekkyl

you did ask for opinion, my opinion is it’s not very good, in fact it’s awful. What about Rowan?

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

It’s up there with Malcolm or Trevor……. Don’t do it!

fadda

Would Albert fit both your requirements…?

Edric64
    Free Member

My Dad is Sidney Maurice ,as was his father he always hated it and the lack of originality hence we all have unusual names as he didn`t want to follow the herd

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Austin?

I know of someone whos full name is “Austin Steele” – cool as ****.

hora
    Free Member

I wanted to call our lad Arnold. I was over ruled.

Sadly too many Jacks, Luke, etc. Maurice is cool. Morrie would be his nickname?

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Everyone is trying so damn hard to be middle class and unique that it all just ends up being diluted chavvery.

I’ve a friend who has given their child the surname of a 19th century poet as a first name. Poor wee guy!

Bagstard
    Free Member

Not read all this, but I went to school in the eighties with the name Arthur and it made my life hell! Moving to a new school and having people laugh in your face when they heard your name was not the best start. Kids are cruel, why put a target around your child’s neck? I changed to my middle name the moment I left school and it was a weight off of my shoulders.

Funny how all the names come and go and people on this very thread are discussing the name Arthur. If you live in the south they will be known as arfur! Given their time again my parents would not have cursed me with that name, any abuse I got over it(lots) was passed on to them.

Maurice?! Just call the poor bugger Sue and be done with it!

Bagstard
    Free Member

A Hora, I see you are up there again giving your point of view on something you haven’t experienced. Your name is Mark, how the hell would you know?

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Maurice?! Just call the poor bugger Sue and be done with it!

I used to work with a lad called Tracey, no one took the rip and he was a sound lad.

Bagstard
    Free Member

You used to work with a a man named Tracey, you didn’t go to school with a thirteen year old of that name. You can eventually grow into a name, but the process can be a painful one.

wwaswas

Sadly too many Jacks, Luke, etc.

Is Luke a popular name now?

I’m 50 and can probably count the number of Lukes I’ve met in my life on both hands and one foot.

Given the name was also one of the apostles I never understood why Matthew, Mark and John were ubiquitous yet my name appeared to be ignored by parents.

yamyamblade
    Free Member

Being called Maxwell growing up in the 70’s in the Black Country wasn’t my moms best idea, like the boy named Sue though it taught me how to stand up for myself.
    My moms justification was that I would sound posh when going for a job interview and was originally going to call me Simon but didn’t want people calling me simple….. got to love em !!

Bagstard
    Free Member

My eldest son is Luke, the only one in his class, 44th most popular boys name.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 128 total)

The topic ‘"Maurice" as a boys name…’ is closed to new replies.