Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • Marzocchi – oh, that's good..
  • matt_outandabout

I’ve just fitted a cheap classifieds set of AM1’s to eldest_oab’s Dialled PA.
    Maybe it is the move from all air ( Fox F120’s, TALAS, Reba and Revelation’s are the other forks in the OAB household) to coil, but by heck they are teh awesome feeling on the round the block singletrack test…
    Plush, without being as divey.

I plan on dropping the lowers and some new oil in shortly, I’m hoping for the usual Marzocchi simplicity.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Which ones? had a few versions over the years, some simpler than others – the instructions are not available any more

T1000
    Free Member

Which year? 2006/7 manuals are available on sites other than Marz

matt_outandabout

Got the tech manual now – however they are out being ridden at the moment…

emac65
    Free Member

Loved my 2004 Z1 freerides, actually still do ! Still got them & still get used every now & again…..Easily as nice as my Pikes ..

kayla1
    Free Member

OH had some 150mm Z1s a while ago and they were really nice.

cookeaa

I just got back from the first a spin I’ve had in a while on my HT, it’s got some old AM4, none of the clever bits on other Marz forks, heavy, Bob a bit when you get cranking, but still a proper marzocchi fork, plush, sturdy and utterly reliable, I will probably be putting a new MTB off for a while yet.

ampthill

I have Z2s on a bike I still use. They still do the job…

molgrips
    Free Member

Coil is always much better. This is what you are feeling. Heavy though.

DiscJockey
    Free Member

Low weight sells….otherwise I’m sure we’d be using more coils instead of air.

fd3chris
    Free Member

Its not just the low weight its also the ability to adjust easily for different rider weights which I think is the winner.

garage-dweller

I used to like the way the MX comps and 2003/4 era Z1s worked. A mid weight spring with air top up.

Gave a lot more versatility for a heavy bloke like me.

I love simple coil forks really not feeling love for my first air only forks.

kimbers

Ive got some z150 witha 20mm bolth through on my hardcore hardtail- might dig it out tomorrow

they are heavy forks but fair bit lighter than my old 66 RC2s ! – which where probably the nicest feeling forks ive ever ridden, sold them to kid off pinkbike for 50 quid 😯

tjagain

z1 lites on the tandem ( modified to suit) Gawd knows how old they are as I’ve had them for years and they were second hand. Spot on for the tandem

Had some mx comps on a bike that was stolen – really nice forks. Its not just the coil springs – open bath means they don’t wear either or get graunchy bushes

captaindanger

Hmmm the wonder if anyone is selling a lovely pair of titanium spring 44 ti rc3s? Better check the classifieds

scruffywelder
    Free Member

Still kinda think it’s a shame Hope didn’t/couldn’t buy Marz up when they were in financial bother. Hope build quality combined with Marz plushness? I think I could live with that…

hot_fiat

Had some AM1 SLs for a few years (07 version). They were a great fork – light, long traveled (160mm) and very plush. They had issues with the wind down adjuster winding themselves down but this was easily fixed by turning the preload up on the adjuster detents, or by simply zip tying the adjuster wheel in place.

At the end of their life I removed the negative spring floating piston-on-a-string thingy which seemed to have no effect at all on performance.

Servicing was allegedly a pita, I call bollox on that & found every part to be reasonably accessible and serviceable – even the tst bladder thingy which provided proper terrain control years before fox finally got CTD to do what they marketed it to.

The contemporary ROCO tst-5 shocks are also worth a punt. Designed from the outset to be user serviceable. Amazeballs at the time.

hot_fiat

@matt are you sure there’s a coil in there? I thought all the am1s were air/oil?

cookeaa

[Quote] garage-dweller – Member
    I used to like the way the MX comps and 2003/4 era Z1s worked. A mid weight spring with air top up.
    Gave a lot more versatility for a heavy bloke like me.
    I love simple coil forks really not feeling love for my first air only forks.[/quote]

^^This^^

The 30mm stanchion, 80-120mm travel MXC weren’t actually a bad compromise for weight/noodlyness/price at the time, you could run them as an air only fork by removing the coils or soften them up with various spring/air/oil combinations, same for the DJ3 I had for quite a while (actually sat somewhere in the garage I think). Had a Z1 dropoff for a while too which was OK, just a shade more travel than I really needed at the time.

I think the rot only set in when they had to start competing with RS/Fox on weight and price to attract the OEM market…

OK own up, who’s been looking at this thread and then browsing old Marz forks on eBay/PB? [holds up hand]…

kayla1
    Free Member

OK own up, who’s been looking at this thread and then browsing old Marz forks on eBay/PB? [holds up hand]…

😳

goss
    Free Member

Still got a Marzocchi 4X 2012 ltd. red edition fork waiting to be apart of a new build.

for now it’s been the best fork I’ve tried apart from my 2 Mrp Loop Tr forks.

matt_outandabout

Update: a lowers service and clean up / grease of the adjusters has improved the fork even more.

The TST adjuster now has really noticeable impact on the forks response, we’re running lower pressure for moar plushness without diving on trail mode.

I may just need to exchange my Fox F120’s for another pair… What’s the best Marzocchi 120mm fork? 😉

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Siver SC or MX comps were the only works they made with 120mm of travel (I think)

Harry_the_Spider

Got some 2001 vintage Z1s on my SS Inbred. They still work.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Watching with interest

jamesoz

I have a set of 2004 z1’s on my RFX/5 spot. Matched to a 1999 Vanilla RC at the back that’s never been serviced. Compared to modern stuff they are a bit crude and heavy but I can ride it in all sorts of crap, not care and they still work well.

dantsw13

My Heckler has a set of 2010 160mm55RVs on which I love, but probably need a service as there is a bit of a top-out clunk.

I hastily purchased a spare set of forks on eBay last week, as 1 1/8 straight steerer forks are getting rarer. Allegedly new & unused, I think they will turn out to be 2009 44 ATAmicro. Isn’t that the dodgy year for them? If so is there any option for new internals?

Andy-R

All this is preaching to the converted – I’m a bit of a Marzocchi fanboy. Currently loving 55 RC3 Ti V2s on my Liteville 301.

DiscJockey
    Free Member

jamesoz – is that a 1999 vintage with vanilla undertones ?

jamesoz

Nice, It’s an isotonic drink, honest.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

I had AM2s, of 04/05 vintage I think

Complete with the coolest fender from Acerbis.

Super plush, but on upgrading to Magura Thors with their double-arch and 20mm thru-axle I realised how flexy they were

jamesoz

Most of the difference was probably the through axle. I still have a set of ’97ish z1 bams with an upgraded blackspire arch and managed to snap more than one qr axle.

WildHunter2009

MX Comps were my first upgrade to my old Marin from some slightly rubbish rockshox. I remember them feeling amazing and like the eta climb mode.
    Had a mate with a bottlerocket and 66rc, weighed soo much but dear god was it fun.

kimbers

I’ve got some z150s rc2 with a 20mm thru axle. Stiffness is not a problem

The air preload means i have them just right, feel similar to my pikes, they are a fair bit heavier

I had some 66rc2s on my old stinky, they were the plushest ever, sad I sold them, but theory were soooo heavy, unless you are uplifting they are hard work!

Kamakazie

The AM1s that have come my own PA bike split are adjustable down to 130mm…

mindmap3
    Free Member

Can’t beat an old Marzocchi (2006 or earlier when they were still made in Italy).

The 888 RC2X’s on my stolen Demo were ace; heavy but so, so plush. Marzocchi’s are heavy because of all that oil in them which is a good thing – no work stanchions etc.

I have a pair of Z1 Anniversary forks hanging up in the garage that won’t be going anywhere even though I don’t have a bike to use them on!

My Stanton is running 350 NCR’s which I’ve been impressed with and the 380R2C2’s on my Demo are pretty damn good (much prefer them to the previous Boxxer’s).

jabbi
    Free Member

Last Marzocchis were a pair of 66 RC2Xs circa 06/07, they worked amazingly but weighed as much as the coil shocked Patriot frame I had them on! Most sensitive fork I’ve ever owned they sagged under the weight of the bike! I kinda miss open bath forks, Z1s Z2s etc so easy to work on in the rare occurrence it was needed.

kimbers

quick snap of mine in the garage, on a ‘hardcore hardtail’ obvs

mindmap3
    Free Member

I’d happily see the weigh of forks go up a bit for the return or coil and sensible amounts of oil in the lowers – they feel better and are way more reliable.

My Marzocchi’s were only ever taken apart when a seal went pop.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Marzocchi – oh, that's good..’ is closed to new replies.