Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Marzocchi 55 RC3 ti – should I?
  • vinnyeh

Any user feedback on these (2011) yet? Any reliability problems, how’s the performance etc? At around £500 are these a good buy? There must have been a few of you bought these cheap from wiggle….

soulrider
    Free Member

They look brilliant am tempted by a set myself.

I just wish I could wind back the travel for long steep climbs in Spain/the Alps

kimbers

not ridden them myself nut only ever heard good things about the newer models, a fair few of the top riders were on em at the mega

seanodav
    Free Member

Love my 2010 55’s had them nearly a year now, would be my choice if was buying again.

Stu661
    Free Member

I have a pair that I got at the start of May this year and have had no problems with them so far. They far out perform my 2011 Fox Talas 36’s they replaced. I find them to be very smooth and controlled and take anything you point them down.

wl
    Free Member

Got some on Wiggle but Haven’t had a chance to use them yet. Dirt rates them – they made it into the mag’s Dirt 100 (top products list) 3 years running. Post 2009 are supposed to be good. 2011 are essentially exactly the same as 2010, just cosmetic changes, new dials etc.

vinnyeh

thanks. Can anyone point me in the direction of the supposed 3 year no service warranty?

geetee1972
    Free Member

They use a combination of a titanium spring and an air preload, but there is only a soft or a medium spring so if you’re above a certain weight (not sure what that is but at 100kg I was over it), you end up having to run loads of air in the pre-load to get the right spring rate at which point you’re basically riding an air sprung fork and you may as well get a Fox 36 float and save a pound in weight.

Everyone I’ve spoken to that doesn’t have this problem says they are a fabulous fork and I believe them; so supple and plush. Just a shame they don’t make a heavier spring.

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

YES get them.
    Thats going on my use of the 44 rc3 ti’s I own. spectactular. best bike related item i’ve owned.

neallyman
    Free Member

1.5″ steerer only at that price no….?
    🙁

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

got some 2010 1 1/8th, too good a deal to pass up (get £5 voucher, use cashback site ended up costing about £435?).

http://www.windwave.co.uk/brandpages/marzocchi_brand_page_public.html

is the importers site with details of 3yr warranty, and a 3yr life cycle for each model (so the new for 2010 55RC3Ti wont change other than graphics for another couple of years).

wl
    Free Member

It’ll be very interesting to see how these forks perform. Not much written about them, since Fox seem to have cleaned up in the 160mm department.

cupid-stunt
    Free Member

I will also be very interested to see how these forks perform on you bike wl, the build up to you getting them and putting them on has been bigger and longer than the build up to the olympics. 😉

wwaswas

Ed Oxley/GreatRock seems to rate his 55’s very highly.

wl
    Free Member

Cupid – I’ve got HRH the Prince of Wales cutting the ribbon and smashing a bottle of champagne when I finally get out on the 55s. You’re invited, so long as you have a tuxedo to wear. I hear there’s talk of an extra bank holiday too.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

I also fancy a set of these but I dont know where you can get them in 1 1/8 size for £500, looks to be 1.5 only. No good for me. 🙁

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

whatno, wiggle had em but sold out about a month ago, as I said worked out at about £435 once I used a voucher and 4% cashback site (which also works for merlin and CRC).

Not much out there about them but everything I found was positive. TBH the paint/decals/finish doesnt look as nice as RS or Fox; the nickel plated stanchions look like cheap steel, the adjusters look like cheap plastic toys (theyre not) etc so combined with Marz’ poor 2008-2009 reputation I’m not surprised they didnt sell em all at RRP of nearly 900 quid!

peachos
    Free Member

Not much out there about them but everything I found was positive. TBH the paint/decals/finish doesnt look as nice as RS or Fox; the nickel plated stanchions look like cheap steel, the adjusters look like cheap plastic toys (theyre not) etc so combined with Marz’ poor 2008-2009 reputation I’m not surprised they didnt sell em all at RRP of nearly 900 quid!

i disagree with most of this! the stickers are a bit weak, but the paint job’s sweet (purple 😀 )as opposed to matt black (lyrik) or white (36). nickel stanchions look bling!! and the adjusters look like decent quality machined aluminium to me…not sure why you think they look plasticy.

but they are a top fork. very nice action, controlled and stiff. they simply out-perform any equivalent i have tried on other people’s bikes, end of.

they’ve just gone onto a new NP Mega, which i’m very excited about…

vinnyeh

probikeshop’s got them for 699 euro less the 15% code from munque-chick yesterday.
    wish I’d got them from wiggle, but…

hope that helps.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

peachos, glad you like em. I have the “standard” colour which has shades of hammerite/primer. The adjusters are alloy, but whether its the super glossy ano or the busy design but they just reminded me of cheap disposable plastic toys,

and I guess I’m use to stanchions on posh forks being vaguely gold (traditional RS/Fox ano, and more exaggerated with the new kashima stuff) and the nickel looks silver, closer to the steel used on cheaper forks.

I bought them on the basis of potential performance and bargain price so cosmetics didnt come into it, just speculating on why they havent sold. When my broken arm is healed 🙄 I’ll finally be able to fit em and try em out!

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

The 44 RC3ti that I’ve been running for the last 6 months is so good that you lot have now got me thinking about buying the 1.5 inch 55 now and worrying about the frame later !!! (Mega or Nomad maybe)

Yes I know that’s putting the cart before the horse but it’s tempting…

peachos
    Free Member

fair points!

must be driving you nuts being out of action and having a spanking new fork sitting there. hope you’re not out for too much longer…

wl
    Free Member

They look crap to me – cheap and nasty – but I bought them anyway because they should work well. Like my mate said, the dials look like Quality Street wrappers. The preload doesn’t seem to do a right lot, either. Still, worth a punt at half price, although I wouldn’t have bothered without the decent warranty.

hora
    Free Member

Are the grey 2009 RC3’s reliable? Seen a set secondhand at a good price but hesitating.

They look like this

http://www.comparestoreprices.co.uk/cycling/marzocchi-55-rc3-2009-grey-6%60-post-mount.asp

hora
    Free Member

Nowhere can I see 1 1/8 steerer 55 ti’s for £500. Where are you guys looking?!!!

wl
    Free Member

They’ve gone. It was Wiggle a few weeks ago – £458.

peachos
    Free Member

one of those german sites had them for a decent price not too long ago. can’t remember what the site is called though.

hora
    Free Member

They’ve gone. It was Wiggle a few weeks ago – £458.

😥 😥 😥 😥

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

hora, 2009 was still in the exploding damper period (I had some ’09 55R’s and the damper failed). 2010 was the design overhaul with the RC3 (as in third generation of the RC) cartridge which I havent heard a bad thing about since release.

hora
    Free Member

Munque but the 09’s that I’m looking at have the rc3 moniker?

wl
    Free Member

Dirt rates the 2009s, I think. 55RC3 has made the Dirt 100 for the last 3 years. Anyone else tried their new ’10s out yet? I rode mine this week for the first time – felt mint.

hora
    Free Member

Whats the difference between MicroTi compared to RC3?

geetee1972
    Free Member

The damping cartridge in the RC3 is the same as the one in the 888 DH fork and is very different to the one in the Micro Ti fork. Plus the RC3 uses a combination of air and coil spring to achieve the right spring rate, whereas the Micro Ti uses air only.

honourablegeorge

What about the 44 RC3 Ti, anyone? Is it any good?

peachos
    Free Member

by all accounts yep. a couple of mates have them. would be my fork of choice for the HT.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve some 2007 RC2’s, same issue as GeeTee with the pre-load, but that just makes them firmer which is no bad thing in a fork so plush its sagging under the frames weight!

steve_b77
    Free Member

Geetee, the Micyo Ti 44’s have a Ti negative spring http://www.marzocchi.com/template/detailProdotti.asp?LN=UK&idIU=2460&idC=1629&IdFolder=113&uf=ST&IdOggetto=58477#

I really like my 44’s, they look ace and perform really well on everything I’ve ridden since the start of the year

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Marzocchi 55 RC3 ti – should I?’ is closed to new replies.