Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Making a frame bag, where to buy balistic nylon?
  • jamest
    Free Member

As above , looking to make my own frame bag. Saw this plan on here a while ago
    http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=30093
    which looks doable. It suggests 1050d balistic nylon, so any ideas where I can buy the stuff?

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

i get fabrics from extremtextil.de

backcountrybiking
    Free Member

What hungry monkey said.

Esme
    Free Member

Pointnorth on Anglesey are excellent . . . good range of fabrics, helpful staff, etc

Cordura is a very strong, heavy-duty fabric, but hard to sew. Unless you’ve got lots of experience in making this sort of stuff, I’d recommend something more flexible eg 4oz or 6oz PU coated nylon. But ask for some samples, then you can decide for yourself 🙂

jamest
    Free Member

Cheers for the advice, I have limited sewing experience apart from the odd button or rucksac repair, but just going to give it a go, so great idea re the samples to practice on. Would I be able to just attach a stronger needle to a regular sewing machine? What needle is best? also, what thread do you use?

toys19
    Free Member

those links are excellent, thanks hungrymonkey and esme.

TooTall
    Free Member

Depends on the sewing machine, but heavyweight fabrics are usually beyond the limit of what they cope with. I find sewing 2 pieces of mid weight cordura together is the limit for mine. Older metal machines are better, but not commercial strength.

Get a bag of offcuts from PointNorth and have a practice first. Worth the effort.

shedbrewed
    Free Member

Another Point North recommendation here, and you can ask them for samples.

d45yth
    Free Member

Are you making your own bag because you enjoy that kind of thing or to save money?
    If it’s the latter, do a search for Buggy Bags. I don’t think you’ll get a better priced frame bag anywhere (about £50 I think?).
    If you’re still set on making your own, take a look at the MYOG on Bike and Bivi for some ideas. Look at the post for videos. There’s plenty of pics of bar bags and seat bags too.

crispedwheel
    Free Member

Another recommendation for Point North here. Also a good idea to get the various sample packs first.

Esme
    Free Member

Normal polyester thread is fine, much stronger than cotton. Heavyweight needles, such as these are okay, although I think you can get even stonger ones for sewing leather

A domestic machine will work most of the time, but you may occasionally need to give the motor a helping hand (literally) by turning the wheel with your hand

I’d recommend that you start with simple stuff, like little drawstring or zipped bags, before attempting a rather fiddly frame bag

Over the years, I’ve made loads of kit and clothing – so be warned, it’s addictive!

jamest
    Free Member

I was mainly going to make the frame bag to save cash, though I take your point, for a beginner it could be a diddly job. May start with some tent peg bags or similar and will take a look at buggy bags. I have always fancied making some kit, especially since getting more into the UL side of backpacking. Cheers for all the advice, very useful.

jamest
    Free Member

Fiddly or diddly job?! Diddly could work..

d45yth
    Free Member

Make your own frame bag youtube video. Shame about the music! 🙄
    It might be easier to make a bar bag first to get your sewing machine skills up to spec. Like I said earlier, look on Bike and Bivi MYOG.
    There’s a Buggy Bag review here on STW too.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Making a frame bag, where to buy balistic nylon?’ is closed to new replies.