Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • making a 3×9 a 1×9 for racing
  • sefton
    Free Member

I have a SLX triple

how easy is it to make it a 1×9 setup?

I’d like a nice simple setup – would it be best to buy a single spider for the crank and a chain catcher?

then check if the chain needs any links removing.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Very easy.

Just take off the big and small ring. Replace the middle ring if you want a different size. Fit a chain guide. You should be able to remove a few links from the chain too.

Worth considering getting one of the new NW chainrings and a clutch mech and not bothering with a chain guide (with a new mech probably about the same price as a decent guide.) I’ve been very impressed with mine.

bjhoppalong
    Free Member

You will also nee single chainring bolts to replace the ones you will have on currently

njee20
    Free Member

Clutch mech not an option with 1×9, if you’re buying a different ring I’d get a narrow/wide one anyway, may as well, and pair it with a top guide.

legend
    Free Member

njee20 – Member

Clutch mech not an option with 1×9

unless you do the simple spacer mod of course (and run a Shimano mech with a 9sp Sram shifter)

sefton
    Free Member

roughly how much weight will be saved going 1×9 (with chain catcher)

sefton
    Free Member

can anyone guess how much weight this would save?

scottfitz
    Free Member

wwaswas

I’m running a Works Components Fat Wide ring on a 9 speed non-clutch mech drivetrain, no chain device and have had no issues with losing the chain.

so you lose weight of shifter, cable, 2 chainrings, one set of chainring bolts and the weight in the difference in length on the shorter ones you use for the new ‘ring. Chain can be a little shorter too.

njee20
    Free Member

150-250g ish.

sefton
    Free Member

Looks good!

I do worry about the chain on the lowest & highest cogs – he chain will be at an extreme angle…doesn’t this destroy the drivetrain?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘making a 3×9 a 1×9 for racing’ is closed to new replies.