Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Makes you proud to be British.
  • wwaswas

A map showing the 22 countries we haven’t invaded/had a war with.

Bolivia next?

(hopefully we haven’t already done this today)

molgrips
    Free Member

hopefully we haven’t already done this today

No, it was about a year or so 🙂

Klunk
    Free Member
    wwaswas

No, it was about a year or so

well we do ’26 is dead’ once a week so I can live with that 🙂

tomhoward

technically we’ve been at war with sweden

We never actively went though, so doesn’t count. Here’s the article.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/history/9653497/British-have-invaded-nine-out-of-ten-countries-so-look-out-Luxembourg.html

jock-muttley

American mate of mine who once introduced me with this remark;

“Watch out, I’m not saying he’s argumentative but Brit’s can pick a fight in an empty room and if things look tricky they send the Scots in” :mrgreen:

molgrips
    Free Member

Some of it’s pretty technical though. I assume Finland is on there because they sided with Germany in WWII, but they only did that to try and keep the Russians at bay.

Backfired though IIRC.

CaptJon
    Free Member

aka a to do list

To be fair, I expect that map would look very similar for any nation state that had been around for more than a couple of hundred years.

And isn’t Bolivia where all the lithium comes from for laptop batteries?

Scarce resource – you might find the yanks get there first

cynic-al
    Free Member

TBF what would that map look like for other countries?

iolo
    Free Member

I’m sure America’s would be quite inertesting.

Moses

Well, we’ve certainly had “incursions” into Guatemalan territory when we were defending Belize against their guerrillas,, so there’s another one down.

nickjb
    Free Member

There’s a few in there that we were only at war with while they were occupied by Japan, Germany, Spain etc.

bokonon
    Free Member

The article above suggests that very few other countries would have the same sort of tally – with the exception of perhaps the French.

I don’t think we’ve ever invaded or been at war with Australia the modern country.

So this map must include stealing other peoples land before there was a country to invade?

wors

Wtf would we invade Greenland?

Jamie
    Free Member

Ice cubes.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’d say that’s a “work in progress” chart/map and considering times not up yet, then there’s plenty room for continuation of the theme.

😆

nedrapier

Ice cubes.

And an untold wealth of ever more accessible mineral deposits

CountZero

I’m struggling to think when we either invaded or were at war with Greenland, or Iceland for that matter.
    And I don’t think a squabble over fishing rights counts. And invaded, or were at war with Canada? Perhaps against the French in Quebec, but invaded? I guess it’s how loosely you define ‘invade’, if you include colonising another continent.

RichPenny
    Free Member

Aww, it’s a bucket list in a visual format 🙂

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Just cos we’ve been at war I doesn’t mean we picked the fight and that it wasn’t a just fight. I think the Vikings gave as good as they got, the Americans technically kicked us out, as did the Canadians, the Argentinians definitely picked their fight with us. And Australia? I didn’t realise the Ashes was counted as war these days! And you can take a whole swathe of those countries out on account of WW1 and WW2. A bit of a distorted picture I think. Context is everything.

piemonster

I’m struggling to think when we either invaded or were at war with Greenland, or Iceland

Iceland was more of a forced occupation during the Second World War!?

I seem to remember we top the list when it comes to invading places, with France tailgating us.

molgrips
    Free Member

It’s extremely loose. Since Greenland is now owned by Denmark, we must’ve hard a barney with them in the past.. apparently they got caught up in the Napoleonic wars on the other side. And I’m guessing most of South America is there because of the tension with the Spanish.

piemonster

Americans technically kicked us out, as did the Canadians,

I must have missed the Canadian war of independence chapter in my big book of history.

piemonster

And I’m guessing most of South America is there because of the tension with the Spanish.

Quite a lot of South America would probably be covered by raids/strategic attacks more than anything else.

For example
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_invasions_of_the_R%C3%ADo_de_la_Plata

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Makes you proud to be British.’ is closed to new replies.