Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 74 total)
  • Major life decision, transitioning
  • kimbers

For a long time I’ve been lying to myself (20 years?) , I think it’s time I ditched the spds and went to flats

EWS tweedlove saw me unclipping way more than I should have, just because those sketchy rooty corners in the mud had me nervous

At the moment front runners are
    Kona Wah Wah 2 I’ve got a kona and they come in a nice blue to go with my bike

With Shimano GR7s or possibly freerider pros,- I like quite a bit of float with my crank bros – so think shimano not quite as grippy is the way fwd?

Anyone else made the jump?

(o know click bait title, but this is causing me some consternation)

jimmy

I got some superstar nanos as they were cheap at the time and in case I didn’t like it. For the Tweed Valley steeps it totally makes sense especially having tried SPD’s again recently.

tjagain

I used to ride flats and clips only – then went to SPDs only – now I have a mix and even swap so one bike will have SPDs one day and flats the next. No issues at all

Never bother unclipping when I am in SPDs – I can unclip no issue should I need to dab

Onzadog
    Free Member

I rode clipless off road since just before spds were invented. About a decade ago, I thought I’d give flats a go and I’ve not ridden spds since.

I like the shoes and pedals as sticky as possible. Vaults and 5:10s

Common tips, run the foot further forward. Axle under the midfoot rather than the ball of the foot and drop the heels.

DickBarton

Were you unclipping to put a foot down? If so a flat pedal won’t help with that as you’ll still put a foot down.
    Is it new pedals you need or more practice on manky roots?

I can’t really help with either but if flats are what you think you need then go for it and enjoy the riding.

nopunk
    Free Member

I have started using flats for bike parks or any ride where I know the focus will be on descents and jumps. And my riding is all the better for it. Still swap back to SPDs/Mallets for more distance type XC rides on my MTB and only use SPDs on the gravel bike.

kimbers

Were you unclipping to put a foot down? If so a flat pedal won’t help with that as you’ll still put a foot down.
    Is it new pedals you need or more practice on manky roots?

It was more that I was anticipating needing too so unclipped, which ultimately slowed me down

I also came unclipped on a jump and nobly just rode it out

akkwlsk
    Free Member

I really like the GR7s, but it wouldn’t be my choice as first flat shoes. They are very stiff and you’ll find yourself double-checking if your feet are placed properly.

Pick something that gives more feedback, I would say 5.10s are the way to go (FRpro, regular FRs are rubbish and overpriced)

chiefgrooveguru

5.10s and Vaults for me. Have been using Vaults since they came out – I gather some newer pedals are similarly large and concave and grippy yet also more durable but mine have lasted well with minimal servicing. Freerider Pro are stiffer, lighter and dry out faster than normal Freeriders.

breadcrumb

I haven’t put a mass of miles on them but I really love my Unite pedals, nice big platform and supports a British company.

andrewreay

Have recently started experimenting on flats for biking where climbing isn’t key (e-bikes and bike parks).

So far, experiment has been Freeriders and various not-so-tacky pedals. All good, especially the shoes. Don’t miss the stiffness of the spd shoes as I’m not climbing!

As I’ve only ridden Freeriders can’t really offer much of a comparative, but they fit me well and grip isn’t an issue, so will happily continue with them.

Based on results so far, seriously considering permanent move to flats on the XC bike, which is >80% of my riding…

dc1988

Decent shoes make more difference than pedals for maximum grip IMO, I have 5.10’s and Superstar pedals, i have to lift my foot up to reposition it.

I’m mostly a clipped in rider, my biggest struggle with flats is when my feet aren’t in exactly the right position as they are with clips.

tall_martin

I accidentally ended up at glentress on flats having ridden spd/ time for years.

I hated it! For about a third of my ride, then.

“Common tips, run the foot further forward. Axle under the midfoot rather than the ball of the foot and drop the heels.”

And it was ok! The ball of the foot on the axel did not work for me at all.

andyrm
    Free Member

Nukeproof Horizon Sam Hill Enduro with either Impact Pro or (my new fave) 2FO DH is an awesome combo. The Horizon are asymmetric and actual pit your foot position nicely forward of the axle by default.

kayla1
    Free Member

Dunno if you can still get them but Gusset Slim Jims are ace, I’ve been using the same pair for the last however many years and the only time I’ve laid a spanner on them was to swap them over to other bikes!

Rubber_Buccaneer

You may have to resign yourself to spending a small fortune finding what works for you.

5.10 shoes aren’t perfect by a long shot so I’ve tried Shimano, Giro and Teva but always ended up back with 5.10 for the grip.  The Freerider Pro should be my favourite  as they are light and dry well but I don’t like their fit so much and prefer Impact Pros or even plain old Impacts.

I’ve been through a mountain of pedals from Superstar, Gamut, OneUp and others I can’t remember but have settled on Burgtec 4 as they suit me and haven’t needed maintenance every 5 minutes.

And for perspective I’m old and slow.  If I enter an enduro race I’m just happy to finish in one piece, I don’t even know what a podium is.  I used SPD from when they first came out until about five years ago.

molgrips
    Free Member

I find it harder work pedalling in flats, but better for tech. As you’d expect.

I use mid-foot for tech and ball for pedalling. But then my bike is very old and has a short reach.

zezaskar
    Free Member

Good decision on trying the flats.

I was on clips for nearly a decade, then 3 and half years ago switched to flats. Best thing I ever done for me riding, enormous progression, even if a little awkward for the first months.

My first shoes were Shimano GR7s, which I now rotate with a pair of Impact Sam Hills. The GR7 don’t offer maximum grip, but are effective in teaching you how to ride flats. For some time I’d avoid them on really rough tracks, but nowadays I use them pretty much everywhere as my technique improved.

The Impacts are ridiculously grippy, like SPD like grippy. You can get away with lousy technique or loose composure and stay put. I also love to climb with them as they are so stiff and grippy, super efficient. I use the GR7s mostly in the summer as they are much cooler and also look more subdued.

On the pedal department I’ve been on Nukeproofs Horizon Sam Hill since the beginning. The platform is nearly perfect, supper grippy, perfect size and Q factor. The seal quality however is as crappy as it gets, the seals simply don’t stay in place. Super frustrating as otherwise the pedals are great

Kuco

I’ve tried flats several times over the years and hate them just can’t get on with them. Much happier on SPD’s

slowoldman

I came to MTB from road and automatically used clipless. Being old and slow and frightened, I went to flats on MTB though I’m quite happy to use clipless on the gravel bike (less gnarr involved). Perhaps a bit of CX would help though trundling around well off the the back of the vets might not be great.

keefezza
    Free Member

If you like a stiff sole, the 5-10 may well be best. Really grippy and really good shoes.
    I’ve gone to the ride concepts vice mids and they are more flexible and really really comfortable. Not as grippy as the 5-10 but great shoes.
    Pedals – another vote for unite co, really good size and very good quality. Had dmr before these which were very good but I’d say these are better.

lightfighter762
    Free Member

I usually will ride clips in the summer around the tweed valley np. That day though or those conditions I would switch to flats. Mostly do/did that anyway every winter when I lived in Innerleithen.

sirromj

If the free rider pro are anything like the regular free rider then float comes after a few months of usage.

I really dislike stiff shoes on flat pedals, it’s not reassuring, much prefer to feel the pedal. Less need for stiff shoes on flat pedals as the pedal platform is much larger then it is on SPD. However it might take some time to adapt to pedaling in more flexible shoes than you’re used to wearing.

LAT

i have the large platform XT. i would have bought wah-wah but none were available. i’m happy with the shimano as they’re larger than most. 5:10 freeride pro are better than the non-pro version.

more grip on the shoes would be my suggestion. while grippy 5;10 are more instinctive/natural to step off the pedal than spd.

scuttler

Cool kids ride both

argee

I rode SPDs for years, but made the transition to flats when i started focusing on enduro style stuff more than XC, i never succeeded in using flats when doing XC or trail stuff all the time, but learning certain techniques and pushing towards bigger stuff made me see flats as the only option, would feel weird being attached to the bike again, just the whole way you prep going into jumps, drops, etc.

I agree about the 5:10s though, tried a few, always back at 5:10s, noting that they are crap to walk in during winter months, you end up pushing the bike and falling all over the place due to the lack of any real mud grip, pedals wise, i do like the vaults for feel, bit of a nightmare for maintenance though for me, my favourites are RF Atlas pedals, just feel great and spin nicely, plus look great in blue!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Something else to consider, drop your saddle a bawhair when you put the flats on too.

zippykona

I’ve trialled flats this year and love them for techy stuff and they make sense of a dropper post. I can’t figure out how to unclip to dab with the seat dropped.
    Shame the shoes are more concerned with fashion than riding.

seadog101

Been through a few pairs of flats and really haven’t found a pair I dislike.
    Currently on DMR V12 Mag. Super light, nice and stable. I’m going to change to shorter pins thought as they are doing unmentionable things to my shoes and shins.

bella
    Free Member

I’ve mostly ridden SPDs since using toe clips back in the mists of time. I’ve had a few forays with flats over the years racing DH (very mid pack) or at the Mega but gravitated back to SPDs doing the same races in subsequent years. During the first lockdown I committed time to the Ryan Leach wheelie course and as a result have been on flats exclusively for 18 months however swapped back on a whim for a recent week in Molini and the muscle memory and instinct was all still there. I guess what I am trying to say is that there is no harm in giving flats a go (except cost) and then swapping between depending on what you fancy. Loads of good pedals and shoes out there. A set of shoes that can be used for general cutting about will never be wasted.

clubby

Was a committed spd user since they came out but swapped to flats for my first Whistler trip. Swapped back and forward for a few years depending on what I was riding. After a couple of years I stopped swapping and stayed on flats.
    Like DMR pedals, solidly build and spares readily available. Shoe wise I’d always stuck with 5:10 but newest pair are Specialized DH and I think I prefer them. 5:10 shape seems to have changed over the years and don’t suit me as well.

Picked up the Ryan Leech flat pedal course when it was free and it was great. Helped a lot of the technique click in place. He charges for it now but I’d say it’s worth the money.

gkeeffe

Had spd for years right from when they first came out in 89? Then about 10 years ago swapped to flats as I thought every crash I had had was somehow to do with the pedals. First day on flats everything seemed to work. Just rember to push rather than pull.

I’m In the lakes, and being able to dab is always useful. I don’t think you’ll regret it. Superstar and 5.10 are my fave combo. Dmr are the best grip but the bearings don’t seem to last a long time, mag pedals are IMO too soft and can’t handle rock impacts.

kelvin

Common tips, run the foot further forward. Axle under the midfoot rather than the ball of the foot and drop the heels.

The most important bit of advice in this thread.

core

Wellgo MG1 pedals are great as a reasonably priced, light, grippy enough flat pedal. They’re genuinely light, I’ve got two pairs that have had many winters of abuse and the bearings are as smooth as silk still.

I also have a pair of Superstar nanos – they’re thinner and have a bit bigger platform, but had to have a rebuild after one decent winter…

wheelsonfire1

I think that your thread title is actually very disrespectful to people with actual life changing decisions to make. This is Singletrack, NOT Facebook.

jodafett

5.10’s and Supersatar Nanos. I dab round the Tweed valley all the time. Nanos even come with two lengths of pins for maximum injury inducing!

jodafett

FTFY

I think that your thread title is actually very disrespectful to people with actual life changing decisions to make without a sense of humour. This is Singletrack, NOT Facebook.

5plusn8
    Free Member

As a confirmed flatty I can only look with envy at the faster and more gnarr riders who are all clipped in. Are you sure this isn’t a regression? If I could ride clips I’d working on my technique to stop dabs, I hardly ever dab with flats, like almost never.
    However if you must come down here with the lowly flatties then Shimano flat pedal shoes are excellent. Work brilliantly with nukeproof plastic pedals or the carbon company ones.

reeksy

I’ve thought about going back to flats, but i’m too much of a cheapskate.

I can buy a set of good clipless pedals for about the same as a good set of flats, but I hoover up all the expensive clipless shoes people wear once and decide “It’s not for me” and sell off at a fraction of the new cost. Once i’ve worn the pedals and shoes to almost worn out i sell them cheap to someone who would like to try riding clipless but doesn’t want to shell out on new stuff until they’ve tried it first.

zezaskar
    Free Member

@wheelsonfire1 , mate, chill, you’ll live longer

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 74 total)

The topic ‘Major life decision, transitioning’ is closed to new replies.