Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Magura Durin problem- side to side sloppiness- Help Please!!!
  • DanW
    Free Member

Hi all,

I have just bought some Magura Durin forks and only had 2 rides on them.

From new they were very stiff and a great feeling fork. I couldn’t tell the difference in stiffness compared to my 15mm thru axle Fox FIT 100 RLC.

However half way around the ride today I was finding descending quite difficult and feeling quite disconnected from the bike.

Only when I got home did I notice a large amount of side to side play in the forks. Forwards and backwards there is no play- there is only a problem side to side. It looks as though the play comes from the stanchion on the side of the applied force compressing in to the lowers while the stanchion on the side opposite to the applied force remains stationary.

There is a huge amount of play to the extent of resembling a very loose QR (which there isn’t). I have also changed wheels and it definitely isn’t a hub/ wheel/ QR issue.

Does anyone know what the source of the problem might be? Would iffy bushings only be noticeable side to side but be fine front to back? I can’t see any cracks so it seems unlikely to be an external structure problem.

Any advice or pointers before heading off to the LBS/ contacting Magura next week would be really helpful.

Many thanks in advance!

br
    Free Member

If they are brand new I wouldn’t even be looking at them, just take them back to where you bought them.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

if you have checked it’s nothing simple then back to the shop.

DanW
    Free Member

It was from Bikediscount.de which is why I want to eliminate something simple I may have overlooked before sending them off and being without forks for a few weeks.

DanW
    Free Member

Does anyone else have any suggestions for easy fixes or any experience with Magura warranty in the UK?

stumpytrek
    Free Member

Try Magura Service in the UK? Their number is 01530 414142. Always been very helpful in my experience.

matt_outandabout

Forwards and backwards there is no play- there is only a problem side to side

Twisting side to side vertically, or horizontally?

mactheknife

Just email Bikediscount.de, they will more than likely get you to send them back under warranty or for repair in the UK.

DanW
    Free Member

Twisting side to side vertically, or horizontally?

I would describe it as twisting side to side vertically, as in pressing down on the right side of the bars, then pushing down on the left side of the bars.

I’ll contact Magura and BikeDiscount on Monday but was curious if I had missed something stupid over the weekend.

Thank you everyone

DanW
    Free Member

For reference if anyone view this thread for UK warranty of Magura forks then the phone number posted above goes through to Magura Spares UK who do not do warranty repairs (but accept paid repairs). In my case they will go back to Bike-Discount.de but I am unsure of who does warranty repairs for Magura in the UK. I suspect no-one so all repairs are carried out in Germany but I may well be wrong.

jonnyt
    Free Member

Hi, I have a similar issue – bought some Magura Durin Race forks from Bike-discount.de and they developed fairly major play within 30 mins of riding just some basic singletrack. The play in mine was more front to back rather than side to side, but it did cause the fork to feel very flexy.

I too tried contacting the old UK service centre and spoke to Mike who was very helpful even though they no longer deal with Magura Warranty and he advised that it could be a known issue whereby the lower set of bushings aren’t correctly fitted in the factory.

My forks have been sent back to Bike-discount.de and they’ve forwarded them onto the Magura service centre in Germany. Currently 2 weeks into the approximate 3 week average repair time.

DanW
    Free Member

Glad I still have my old Fox!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Magura Durin problem- side to side sloppiness- Help Please!!!’ is closed to new replies.