Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Lyme Park, the kids playground, tell me about it
  • therealhoops
    Free Member

'pparently there's an adventure playground near the carpark. Can anyone confirm this? any pics?

IdleJon

Do you know how dodgy this thread sounds?

rockhopper70

Lyme Park at Stockport way? If it is the same national trust property we went too there was a load of dog sh!te in the car park grounds that was available to access by the public (sounds snobby!!!). We went inside the grounds as members of NT and while there was no playground, there was the best lawn I have ever walked on. If it's not too far for you, Nostell Priory at Wakefield has a great playground for the nippers.

rockhopper70

on review, "best lawn" sounds a bit dull but my three went mad running around on it…like a right deep springy carpet. Next to a shallow lake so on a hot day wi ice cream it's great. My want to go back so enough said.

nbt

I've been in, it's up the road towards The knott, off to the left on the path to the folly and Bowstones. Its not a bad little park but I wouldn;t pay the Lyme Park entrance fee just to use it – we walked up from Higher Poynton

unovolo
    Free Member

There is said playground and its not bad,some good high level see-saw type things.
    However if your after a great kids playground try "Manor Park" in Glossop.
    Really good for the kids (and some big kids)and its free!!

monksie
    Free Member

It's next to the car park Eddie. It's nothing to get excited about. Hollywood Park has more stuff.
    West Park at Macc. is much better and it's free (next to Sainsbury's).
    If you fancy taking the family out for the day, the adventure and farmyard playground at Chatsworth is ace. I used to incorporate it into a ride and then meet the family there. In fact, I remember doing a Peak ride wth you lot a couple of times and then carrying on to Chatsworth to meet Nixe and Emily. A good way to get a rde in without abandoning the family.

wonkey_donkey
    Free Member

alreet Monksie 🙂 long time no see..apart from at the Gatley lights last year…you still on the road? i'm looking for some company?

And Eddie – come on, it must be time for our annual morning/day out? as long as we head to an open cafe this time!

monksie
    Free Member

Hello wonkey….Gatley lights…last year…I can't remember 😳
    Still on the road and off road just as much though. Loads of free time these days and I seem to spend it all cycling. I'd be well up for a ride.
    Ahhh, I've just twigged! Christ, it's been a while mate! How's things?

wonkey_donkey
    Free Member

🙂 good thanks! Mrs expecting child….i need to get some riding in now!

Good to see you're back in the fold.

I.

monksie
    Free Member

Congratulations to you both.
    I thought you'd given it all up for running.

wonkey_donkey
    Free Member

yeah me too 😉

ginsterdrz
    Free Member

Jumpers for goal posts, wrestling in mud, mother calling you in for tea………..mmmmmmm. Childhood isn't it.

First MTB race was Lyme Park around the Knott. Think Mike Cookson organised it or had something to do with the sponsorship. Steel forks era. Cookson rode one of those new fangled heavy Proflex suspension bikes that he'd imported from the States. How we laughed-it'll never catch on. He won and the rest is history as they say!

cove123

Pretty sure there was death slide there in the 70's but i am old….we used to there from Lymm

monksie
    Free Member

The super long slide was taken out years ago. I think it was when Stockport Council gave the park over to the National Trust and somebody was spotted enjoying themselves.
    The NT literature (including the silly CD included in the entrance fee – £4:50) says the park is in the Peak District. You'd have to do 5 more miles past the park to go into the Peak District.

samuri
    Free Member

Pretty sure there was death slide there in the 70's but i am old….we used to there from Lymm

Yeah. We used to go to Lymm park all the time as kids. The death slide was about 60 or 70 feet long (probably not but you know how things seem bigger in retrospect) and was brilliant. There was a massive play area next to it too. Loads of things to knock about on, some adventure stuff, couple of roundabouts. Then you could go and hide in the maze gardens, have an ice cream, run up that big hill at the back and tell each ghost stories about the keep on the way in.

It used to be brilliant but when I took my son there it was rubbish.

nicko74

Used to go there as a nipper – loved it! But yes, my folks always dragged us up from Higher Poynton to avoid the fee.
    Unfortunately my information about it is now 15 years out of date 😯

Bunnyhop

Second the Macc play park, it really is good. Even got a kiddies cycle track.
    We once saw the Cheshire police training their mtb officers to ride the steps. This one lass looked a wee bit scared, so I whispered to her out of earshot of the chaps, 'just get your weight a bit back over the saddle', saw her ride the steps a few minutes later, with no trouble.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Lyme Park, the kids playground, tell me about it’ is closed to new replies.