Viewing 26 posts - 81 through 106 (of 106 total)
  • Lyme disease: interesting latest stats from Public Health England
  • cinnamon_girl

Good Youtube vid with Dr Spector, thanks for posting that.

epicyclo

paul4stones – Member
    …Also my wife is away so I could do with someone to check there……might get struck off though so probably not worth it.

That’s the only legitimate use of a selfie pic.

(But don’t forward it to anyone) 🙂

crikey
    Free Member
    cinnamon_girl

crikey – a number of the authors have received money from Big Pharma. Says it all really.

Edit: thanks for posting this, will need to re-read.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

@ Jamba: there’s another good story if you’re interested, or anyone else?

cinnamon_girl

Bring it on sog!

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Later. Promise. Fine day, bike demands exercise.

cinnamon_girl

Thanks. Enjoy your bike ride.

whimbrel
    Free Member

Cute French chipmunks are at it now
    Also from above article:
    “The number of new cases in humans per year in France has risen three-fold in the past 12 years, from 10,000 in 2013 to 27,000 in 2015.
    By contrast, fewer than 400 new cases per year are reported in England and Wales.”
    Does this sound plausible?

Nosilife review:
    Managed a short easy forest walk today. Found a tick on my sock when taking them off after walk [trousers tucked into socks against ticks – good look] I never checked for ticks before I was bitten [this is only second walk I’ve managed after tick bite and subsequent symptoms], so it makes me think how many ticks/bites I’ve had over many years in the great outdoors.
    Anyhow, I was wearing Nosilife trousers, so put the tick on the trouser leg to see how effective the fabric is. The tick did eventually fall off [not dead, but didn’t look very lively], but it had walked about for over a minute, and made it up 3/4 length of my leg. If it had landed on my Nosilife shirt it could easily have made it to the collar and onto my neck, or down the sleeve onto my hand/arm, or between the buttons onto my torso. So Nosilife isn’t foolproof – you still need to….
    CHECK FOR TICKS

slowoldgit
    Free Member

So, for Ms C. Girl and Mr Jam Balaya –

Those with Lyme-addled pates will know how bad memory can be. But I’m confident about the sense of this if not the actual words…

Dr Myhill lives and works in the Welsh Marches, an area that is rural and hilly. Whilst under the interdict, one particularly snowy day she was contacted by a neighbour. A birth was imminent and the intended practitioner couldn’t get through the snow-blocked roads. Could Dr M please assist. So she went round, climbing over two snow-obstructed gates on her way.

The birth went well, and no intervention was necessary. She went home leaving a content mother and offspring.

This was blogged, and was then seized upon by the GMC. It was added to the list of charges at her next hearing.

When it was read out, she replied that the sow and piglets were all fine, and where was the problem?

slowoldgit
    Free Member

As others have commended it, let me repeat the link to the video. A US Oncology Doc tells his experience with Lyme Disease. Please watch to the end, the heart transplant story is truly the most moving thing I’ve seen in a long time…

flanagaj
    Free Member

Every time I have waded through long grass on the MTB I stop and check my bare arms and legs. I usually have to pick 3 or 4 of the critters off as they are crawling around looking for a soft spot to bury their dirty head into. On all of the occasions they have been very small and I assume juvenile so unlikely to have already fed on something.

There is nothing you can do. Council are not interested in clearing the overgrown trails and I doubt my GP even knows what a tick is, let alone Lyme’s disease (past experience has concluded this).

What is very worrying though and I have had to remove a fair few of them over the years that did bury in. Poor memory, confusion, constant congestion, fatigue …. I thought that was just me getting old 🙁

cinnamon_girl

whimbrel – thanks for posting your review. Do wonder whether this type of clothing can give a false sense of security to the wearer.

sog – thank you, long may Dr M be of independent thought by ploughing her own furrow.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

It raises an interesting point. As a professional, one has obligations under fellowship or other membership of one’s institution. Now I’m content that no neighbour is going to ask me for urgent assistance in my chosen specialty, anyway my career is over.

But if roads are blocked, choppers grounded and a real person were to be in need, no-one could be expected to decline. Could they?

And, assuming my memory is about right, I believe that whoever added that charge to Dr M’s list needed doing over for bringing the institution into disrepute.

cinnamon_girl

sog – those obligations would consist of one being in full possession of the facts, as opposed to lazy assumptions.

One would hope anyone, regardless of their occupation, would come to the aid of another human being and more so if a neighbour.

Dr M has tenacity, it’s commendable. But perhaps a new dawn is breaking with the arrival of doctors such as Rangan Chatterjee and his new approach?

cinnamon_girl

I’ve been very impressed with this US doctor, Dr Neil Nathan, who also treats UK patients. This is a very long vid about Lyme and co-infections, I’m half way through and finding it most informative. Sound quality is poor but worth sticking with it:

https://archive.org/details/4315-1-MCDHWellnessSeriesLymeDisease

Dr Nathan on mold toxicity:

https://archive.org/details/4863-1-mcdhWellnesslecturemoldtoxicitydrnathan1

cinnamon_girl

Today’s news

The EU have given a 2 million Euro grant to a Dutch lab to develop an innovative diagnostic test for Lyme borreliosis. More details:

EU gives Innatoss €2 million funding to develop a new Lyme diagnostic test

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Now that is going to be interesting, especially if it’s compared to recent and past tests.

cinnamon_girl

Definitely. Available in 2019 although disappointing that the UK weren’t involved.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Mrs B just looked up some info on a French website – same name used, ie Lyme fyi

No plans to monitor at EU level
    In 2006 Europe had 100,000 new cases per year
    20,000 cases in Germany
    10,000 in Austria
    27,000 in France, varies by region – higher in Vosges / Alsace for example. Basically in wooded areas.
    Site had some maps

German study found high levels of infection amongst children (not surprising given outdoor play), increased risk from having pet cat.

cinnamon_girl

Thanks jamba and that’s a big number for France. The UK number of 97 for the first quarter of 2016 really demonstrates that PHE/NHS has its heads in the sand. Not heard of an increased risk from having a cat, ideal opportunity for a cull surely? 😉

crikey
    Free Member

The UK number of 97 for the first quarter of 2016 really demonstrates that PHE/NHS has its heads in the sand

…or that the problem is different in a different country with a different climate and different pattern of land use? More research would be a good idea, if only to establish the actual size of the problem…

slowoldgit
    Free Member

I think John Caudwell is trying to research some real numbers.

whimbrel
    Free Member

Apologies for for dredging this up again, but on radio this morning:
    Broadcasting House – R4 31.7.16
    [Starts at 33:12]
    Those wise Scottish ladies don’t wear shorts 🙂

So, get out and enjoy the Sun 8) but be careful, and CHECK FOR TICKS!!

Also,Same story on BBC website

cinnamon_girl

Thanks whimbrel, shall take a listen and read.

cinnamon_girl

NICE have now published their Guideline Scope Stakeholder Comments:

https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/GID-NG10007/documents/consultation-comments-and-responses

List of Stakeholders:

https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/GID-NG10007/documents/stakeholder-list-2

Am slowly making my way through these but what stands out so far is who is and isn’t included in the list of Stakeholders.

Happy reading!

Viewing 26 posts - 81 through 106 (of 106 total)

The topic ‘Lyme disease: interesting latest stats from Public Health England’ is closed to new replies.