Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • LWB Transit Vans… what to look for please?
  • alexxx
    Free Member

I’m looking at buying a 53 plate lwb high top 2.4td transit van.

Its the 125 350t version and has done 130k – most oil change / filter dealer stamps in place and it’s just gone through a CT (I’m in France – It’s a UK vehicle) so it’s good to drive technically for 2 years..

The gearbox and clutch were replaced by the current owner – and they feel fine to me apart from the gearbox feels really shallow (as in the lever doesnt move far from gear to gear or sit in deep).. not sure if thats a problem as it doesn’t feel stiff on the clutch?

The engine sounds good – no weird ticking and it has the usual spots of rust that can be treated…

2 tyres are needing a change and its a bit tatty but other than that I can’t see any issue.

So wise ones, what should I be looking for on this model? I had a google but couldn’t see much… it’s rear wheel drive if that makes a difference of what to look for?

How likely is it that I need to change the chain tensioners / guides asap?

PS it’s around £1400.. so seems a fair amount of van for the cash – and I hope it’ll get around 35mpg and be a good ghetto camper

Thanks
    Al

parkesie
    Free Member

That its not stolen.

alexxx
    Free Member

I know the owner – it’s certainly not

Fortunateson09
    Free Member

Is it the 2.4 ones that like to chuck their timing belts? Not sure what you’d check for, but I know several people who’ve had older Transits lob their valves into the top of pistons…

trail_rat
    Free Member

if it hasnt been changed WITH full documentation then change the belt and tensioners/waterpump ASAP or as fortunateson has found out when the belt goes through poor maintainance (they are not notoroious for it if maintained correctly) it lunches valve train and pistons

honkiebikedude
    Free Member

Rear diffs where a problem if it has drum brakes , should have been replace under recall if service at the dealer .

Propshaft u/js fail because nobody ever bothers to grease them . Prop shaft center bearings also fail (starts with a whine)

Dmf flywheel’s fail but if it’s just had a clutch i’d guess they put a conversion in .

Fuel pumps where poop if it’s just a tdi rather than tdci .

Timing chain tensioners fail causing the chain to jump and destroy the cyclinder head (i’ve got a good secondhand one if you need it 😉 )

Auxiliary belts generally squeel due tensioners running out of line or bearing failing in one of the idler pulleys , crankshft damper pulleys fail , genrally rattle like mad at idle .

Apart from that they’re a good van , much nicer to drive than a sprinter and the 125ps has plenty of power . 1400 quid is about right i’d say .

honkiebikedude
    Free Member

if it hasnt been changed WITH full documentation then change the belt and tensioners/waterpump ASAP or as fortunateson has found out when the belt goes through poor maintainance (they are not notoroious for it if maintained correctly) it lunches valve train and pistons

This engine doesn’t have a timing belt it is chain driven therefore not a service interval item .
    The water pump is driven off the auxiliry belt , which reminds me ,check for oil leaking from the vacum pump , very common . Vacum pump is mounted high up on the right hand side of the engine as you look in from the front .

mikewsmith
    Free Member

pipes, belts and dints in the back. DM Flywheel, fuel pump.
    The haynes is decent for it though

trail_rat
    Free Member

aye your right – im thinking the 2.2TDCI – which also has a **** injector pump.

cbike
    Free Member

Only if it get really rattly is it worth changing chain and tensioner.

Squeaky aux belt can indicate imminent pulley collapse.

The towing diff, if it has one makes maintaining motorway speeds tedious and a bit noisy.

The ford website has a database you can find out your vans original details. Ford transit forum very handy.

parkesie
    Free Member

That it hasnt been used as a hovercraft.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘LWB Transit Vans… what to look for please?’ is closed to new replies.