Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • LV Log Cabins
  • piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Mrs Feet & I are pretty sure that we want one of these:

http://www.logcabins.lv/logcabins/product-range/tf-range/log-cabins-warminster-2-35m-x-2-35m.html

Before we hit the ‘add to basket’ button, does anyone here have any experience of this manufacturer?

Thanks

properbikeco
    Free Member

how much?!?!?

I’d doubt if bulding it yourself would ever be more expensive, even accounting for purchasing tools

trail_rat
    Free Member

You forget propperbikeco you cannot buy skill and experiance.

I think they look nice , the use of propper doors and windows , insulate it and it’d make a nice place to sit and watch the world go by 🙂

slowoldgit
    Free Member

I know Warminster quite well: it’s like Catterick but without the charisma.

And in the real world I presume you are going self-assembly. I helped my bro assemble something similar, by Dunster. It needed two, and we were working in showery weather so tarps and ropes were useful. The half-built structure and the half-used piles of timber needed covering.

voodoo_chile

Looks great , we are looking into making our own 13ft by 8ft by 8ft high probably do it for half the price but will take a bit longer …great little space for you to chill out though

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Thanks all.

I want something that is solid and properly made with proper doors and windows so it’s somewhere we can enjoy being. I can sit in there with a guitar of an evening and happily annoy annoy nobody! Yes, we can get something for half the price, but they are little more than garden sheds with a bigger door. The LV stuff seems to be very well machined and made with proper, thick timber – including the floor and roof.

These look like they are much better quality than some other cabins – hence the price! I’ve had a look at the Dunster stuff and they don’t seem to be as good quality and there are some worrying reviews about.

I’ll be self assembling as it’s cheaper, but mostly ‘cos I enjoy that sort of thing.

nealglover
    Free Member

I’d doubt if bulding it yourself would ever be more expensive, even accounting for purchasing tools

Generally speaking, if someone doesn’t already own the tools for a job like that…. And already know how to use them….

The end result will be a woeful mess of scrap timber.

spchantler
    Free Member

hi, i used to build these for a living, not from this manufacturer tho…

most important is to have a level, and i mean level, base. concrete preferably, blocks on solid foundations if not. no sleepers, other timbers, half bricks, or god forbid some pea gravel.

a big rubber hammer is your friend, treat with sickens.

email in profile if you want any advice, in west yorks.

ps did i mention a level base, if you don’t do this, it will be difficult to put up, roof won’t fit, doors and windows won’t work 🙂

chunkymonkey
    Free Member

How much is it?

slowoldgit
    Free Member

As to making your own, each timber was cut to length with the ends shaped to interlock with its neighbors, and the edges ridged to mate with those above and below. That alone would be a challenge for an amateur.

And bro had a pro in to lay a flat base with slabs on top, as spc said.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

How much is it?

Well, varies between suppliers, but around £2.1k. Sounds a lot, but it’s a lot of substantial machined timber

AlexSimon

2k doesn’t sound too bad to be honest, as long as the timber is thick enough.

There are a lot of sheds sold as log cabins with only 25-35mm timber. Not enough imo – those pics in the first link look thick, but then they mention 34mm – make sure you know what you’re buying before committing.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Sorry, typo – £2.5k, not £2.1, but that’s for the proper man size 70mm timber. Might as well do it properly 😀

mick_r

Sorry to drag this thread back up, but did you get one of the LV cabins? Any good????

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Just noticed the reply

Yes we got one, very happy with it too. Went up very easily and very solid. Roof took the longest to do, but that was due to using ‘EcoSlates’, which I’d recommend.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘LV Log Cabins’ is closed to new replies.