Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • lube for fork stanchions
  • downhillsquirrel
    Free Member

I hear it’s good practice to apply a little lube to the fork stanchions following a post ride (bike) wash … true? and a recommended lubricant? 😯

firestarter
    Free Member

I use a spray can of something , white and pink can think its called fork juice iirc works well

Shorty121
    Free Member

Yeah it is called fork juice

ozzy38
    Free Member

You can`t go wrong with a can of fork juice!

To slow! 🙄

iamhimsoiam
    Free Member

silicone spray 😉

mboy
    Free Member

Anything with a nice bit of teflon in it is good. I always use a drop of “wet lube” chain oil on mine, as it’s full of Teflon and it’s what Tim Flooks recommended to me… No need to spend money on specific fork oils he said, wet lube chain oil does the same trick.

robhughes
    Free Member

+1 for finishline wet lube as per tft advice.

iamhimsoiam
    Free Member

teflon is good but you got to watch what it’s with
    as gt85 for eg will rot you seals.
    silicone spray will keep seals in tiptop condition. 🙂

Northwind

Fork juice is just common or garden silicone spray in a nicely bike-specific label. Which is why I buy it 😆 It also helps as a mud repellant on other parts.

angryratio
    Free Member

On an open bath fork surely it is not required? – discuss.. etc. etc.

*runs away*

jonb
    Free Member

I have used wet lube or the oil I put in side the forks.

My understanding was that you should apply oil, compress a few times wipe and then apply a bit more. IT certainly seems to move some visible dirt.

uplink
    Free Member

Silicone spray here too

stevede
    Free Member

Finish line wet lube round the seals here too, up and down on the forks a few times and wipe off excess. Don’t do it every ride/wash but do it fairly regularly, used to do the same on my air can before i changed for coil too.

enfht
    Free Member

Aerosols contain solvents which are bad news for any oil incl fork oil, Fork Juice should sell pump action spray but until they do I’ll steer clear thank you very much 😐

gamo
    Free Member

I use fox float fluid, as above put some on couple of
    pushes on the bars then wipe off.

granny_ring

Any links for the silicon spray? Thanks

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

I thought this Fork Juice thing was bobbins but a mate won some at an event and having used it I’d thoroughly recommend it. It really makes a difference that’s more noticeable than just normal oil.

iamhimsoiam
    Free Member

You can buy silicon spray at most diy stores.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

I tried it once and liked it so I kept on doing it – Durex sex lube

U31
    Free Member

Re open bath forks… allegedly forkjuice reduces stiction.. ill reserve judgement on this till i get a can and try it

Frankers
    Free Member

robhughes – Member
    +1 for finishline wet lube as per tft advice.

Same her with TFT recommendation to use Teflon lube, but i’m using Finish Line “Dry” which is made with Teflon, can’t see anywhere on data sheet that FL Wet has Teflon included.

DRYWET

Onzadog
    Free Member

I use finish line Stanchion lube. I get a mate to bring it over from the states but it is excellent stuff. Really slippery and not sticky at all.

granny_ring

I’ve had a quick look on ebay but cant tell which would be suitable as there’s wd40 and gt85 listed too so if anyone could post a link of what silicon spray as an alternative to fork juice and from where that would be great.
    Cheers

specializedneeds

I bought a small bottle of the red lube from SRAM that was recommended in my Rockshox manual. That was 3 years ago and the bottle still hasn’t run out, despite using it after every post ride wash and cycling the fork and reapplying each time until no more crud comes out from the seals. So personally I’d recommend not risking anything other than the manufacturers recommendation, no real saving to be had IMO.

bigjim

I would have thought finish line dry would be a disaster as it is basically solvent with some teflon in it?

granny_ring

cheers iamhimsoiam

R.lepecha

best place for silicone lubricant, Lidl.

TrentSteel
    Free Member

15wt fork oil here

Blueadvocate

Fork Juice, has to be for the smell

atlaz
    Free Member

I use silicone spray. 5 quid a can from screw fit

bigyinn
    Free Member

Finish Line dry (red) lube here too.

A nice dribble down the exposed stanchions, pump up and down on the forks a few times and wipe the excess off.
    Doesnt attract crud like Finish Line wet (green) would.

glenh
    Free Member

Pure first pressing snake oil here.

rubberneck
    Free Member

i have used teflon lubes and found that they ‘blocked’ my foam O-s so started using a silicone spray used in food production factorys as it doesnt leave any gloop, its cheap and has loadsof other uses,,, use it as an antifog on glasses, have found it great for blasting lube into the tricky areas in mechs (F and R), use it as a seat post + clamp lube, use it to get my camel back bite valve back on after cleaning, use it to lube my inner cables and use it to lube inside my shifters as well,,,,, best £3.50 ive spent on the bike,,,,, save your explensive chain lube for what it was designed for

Sonor
    Free Member
    mojo5pro
    Free Member

I use pace RC7 grease

elaineanne
    Free Member

be carefull what you use on your stanchions, sometimes it does more harm than good..ive seen this happen…
    b4 riding your bikes (put your bike upside down for couple hours and let the natural fork juice slide down..

c9tln
    Free Member

would muc off wet lube be ok to use?

Del

I thought this Fork Juice thing was bobbins but a mate won some at an event and having used it I’d thoroughly recommend it. It really makes a difference that’s more noticeable than just normal oil.

in what respect?
    BTW according to juice lubes there’s a greater quantity of silicon in their jollop than what you’ll find in other stuff.

jasterixstrange
    Free Member

does this same logic apply for hydraulic seatposts like the joplin?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘lube for fork stanchions’ is closed to new replies.