• This topic has 23 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by mboy.
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • lowest stack height clipless pedal?
  • nathaneddy
    Free Member

I’m on the edge of a 350 mm seat post and had to go for a 400 mm post because, I realise now, my Time Roc Attac pedals are pretty chunky (or maybe by spesh spd shoes are thick?)
    Looks like the new XTR pedal is low profile, but may not be great in mud: (http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/components/pedals/product/review-shimano-xtr-pd-m980-race-pedals-42708/)
    other suggestions? egg beaters?

chrisdb
    Free Member

Seriously?

Are you worried about the extra weight in the 400mm post? If so why not just chop a bit off the end?

neninja
    Free Member

The newer CB Eggbeaters look spot on.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Will also affect your relative crank length a little as well – what’s the issue with the seatpost though?

nathaneddy
    Free Member

Ah, should have explained. It’s not the weight so much as there seems to be (imo) a better range of carbon seatposts in the 350 mm range and not many in the 400 mm length. I don’t think Ritchey makes a carbon seatpost that’s 400 mm long for example. . . I’m after a 27.2 one.

clubber
    Free Member

How about a saddle change – different saddles have significantly different ‘heights’ – cm rather than mm as it’ll be with pedals.

nathaneddy
    Free Member

thanks, clubber

d45yth
    Free Member

Like clubber said, I’d try a different saddle unless you are really happy with the one you’ve got.
    I have a dropper seatpost that is in the frame as far as it will go, the saddle was originally too high…I think I ended up knocking 15-20mm off the height by changing, now it’s perfect.
    I’ve always stayed clear of Specialized but it’s their Phenom saddle I’ve ended up with (you can get a free fitting for the different widths too). I’d always used Shimano pedals but I’m using the ATAC’s now and won’t ever change back!

nathaneddy
    Free Member

so what are the “high” stack height saddles, if I’m looking to add height? I’m guessing they’ll be the cushy heavy ones?

tang
    Free Member

I think niner carbon 27.2 posts come in 400 length.

PaulD
    Free Member

n,

I have measured centre of rails to mid-seat-top on Selle Italia SLRs at 30mm, Original Flites at 45mm, XO Genuine Gel at 50mm and a Fizik Poggio at 55mm.

Poggio with Titanium rails is for sale at £20 posted and is brand new…pix on request.

PaulD

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

some of the WTB saddles have a huge rail/seat gap. I have a Silverado where the rails sit almost flush with the saddle body sides, and a Rocket V where the rails must be an inch below the lowest point of the saddle body.

nathaneddy
    Free Member

thanks, all. hard to find measurements like this.

wwaswas

400mm Ti seatpost?

Van Nic do a nice one.

nathaneddy
    Free Member

does Ti have the same damping quality as carbon? I guess it will flex more than scandium, alu, etc?

wwaswas

more ‘spring’ than a carbon post and also a bit more isolation from the frame.

nathaneddy
    Free Member

that’s a good looking seatpost — and it is the answer I was looking for to boot. Interesting, had thought carbon was the way forward.

wwaswas

if you’re near Brighton/Hove you’re welcome to come round and try one of mine.

tbh, it is a bit of a wrestle to get the seatclamp over the rails but it’s not somethign you need to do often.

nathaneddy
    Free Member

I read about that clamp issue in a couple reviews. that’s not such a concern to me either unless it slips with the saddle in, as some have said it does.
    will keep your invitation in mind though I’m in Norwich. . .

njee20
    Free Member

Bontager do a 27.2x400mm post, you’re right though, they’re not particularly numerous. Lots of leverage on a skinny post!

wwaswas

unless it slips with the saddle in, as some have said it does.

I’ve got two and as long as you grease the clamp bolts (threads and heads) and tighten them in turn there’s no problem.

nathaneddy
    Free Member

like the look of the van nicholas one a lot. esp as the moots one is US$300 . . . now that’s a lot to pay for a seat post.

nathaneddy
    Free Member

wwaswas, any idea if that van nick seatpost will fit ovalised (flat) rails like fancy selle italia ones? Not much “official” info out there. My hunch is yes as the clamp is top and bottom, not from the sides. . .

mboy
    Free Member

Lots more variation in clipless shoe sole thicknesses and saddle heights, than in clipless pedal stack heights in my experience.

Though Eggbeaters are the lowest for sure as you stand directly on the axle basically.

Also just changed to a Spesh Phenom saddle on my hardtail (great saddle by the way) and it’s slightly taller than the saddle it replaced.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘lowest stack height clipless pedal?’ is closed to new replies.