Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 100 total)
  • Lost skills
  • MrOvershoot

leffeboy – Member

just fixing things. More and more folks I know are just lost if something breaks and stuff just gets thrown out now rather than looking for inventive ways of keeping it going

No the don’t they bring it into work and pester me to fix it :/

Everything from a PS3 controller to a 23 tonne access platform

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

My folks used to live in Southport. Whenever i used to visit I used to buy the Blue Tide Timetables as my old man was a Shrimper and Cockler. He could braid his own nets too.

I still study the tides but i am cr*p at everything else.. 🙁

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Nunchuck skills, Bow hunting skills, computer hacking skills.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I’ll throw in counting and mental arithmetic, a bit rusty as everything is computerised but I’ll still be able to add up in a shop and work out the change faster than the till person waiting for the machine to tell them what coins to get out the drawer.

squirrelking
    Free Member

I fix stuff. Can read a map and use a compass. Can/could run a marine diesel ‘on the sticks’ (entirely manually without any telegraph) and could get it to just about run without any auxy blowers* (but really upset the bridge when black smoke was belching out everywhere). Dunno if that’s a lost art as such but with everything becoming electronic I’d hazard a guess it probably will be.

The missus can sew, knit, crochet, make curtains, dresses and all sorts.

*electric superchargers for when revs are too low for the turbos to run

BillMC

I come from a family of Thames lightermen and there’s none of them left now.

paladin

squirrelking – Member
    Can/could run a marine diesel ‘on the sticks’ (entirely manually without any telegraph) and could get it to just about run without any auxy blowers* (but really upset the bridge when black smoke was belching out everywhere). Dunno if that’s a lost art as such but with everything becoming electronic I’d hazard a guess it probably will be.

Even better when the chief is breathing down your neck and the compressors can’t keep up with the slowly depleting pressures of the air bottles.
    ……and blown lightbulbs in the telegraph, so the bell rings, but you have to guess what manuovre the bridge wants.

I start engines now with a double tap on a touchscreen panel.

dannybgoode

I can mix actual records instead of just pressing the beat match button.

I also use a traditional light meter for photography with the camera in full manual mode and sometimes using a camera that has film in it.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Hand sheer a sheep badly.

Use a brush in such a way that a clean floor is produced.

Handtools people are kind of amazed when i’v made the cut with no need to tidy up while they’re still setting the jig up.

Handbrake turn thats gotta be a dying art with the buttons?

leffeboy

I’ll throw in counting and mental arithmetic

+1 for that. I was looking at my daughter’s maths homework and a lot of the subwork such as solving simultaneous equations using matrix inversion was just plugged into a calculator. It felt weird and wrong BUT there is absolutely no way I am going back to slide rules and log tables either.

grenosteve
    Free Member

When by motorbike engine started acting up, I bought the bits (some new, some second hand) and fixed it. Then overhauled the cards and got it running sweet.

johnhighfield
    Free Member

Setting tappets on the OHV car engines – change bucket shims too…..
    Setting points clearance & adjusting timing with a strobe timing light.
    Changing clutches (on rear wheel drive cars)
    Building bikes; doing your own servicing & setting up gears properly……. But I’m sure we all still do this – donr we?

StefMcDef
    Free Member

Handwriting. With your hands, and that. That must be a generation, tops, from being obsolete.

The only time I even write my signature these days is when the postie arrives with a consignment from CRC his little plastic box/sensor thing. I can feel my tongue slip out of the side of my mouth while I vocalise the syllables of my name.

towzer

I don’t live on the coast anymore but do individuals with rowing/small boats still do – overnight long lines, clam dragging, glass box flounder spearing etc

repairing kettles (and other components)

speaking to each other …. lots and lots of labour saving devices yet we have less and less time for each other

pictonroad

My boy has a variety of toy cars with sound effects, a recurring sound effect used is the whirring noise of an engine failing to start. This is a noise from my childhood that he will never hear, it means nothing to him. As a 12yr old I had mastered the lost art of balancing the starting process of an Austin Maestro without flooding it. Particularly tricky on a freezing cold morning.

That and remembering phone numbers (quick dialling on a rotary dial as well), used to know loads, only know my own now.

leffeboy

Setting points clearance & adjusting timing with a strobe timing light

I was just going through this in my head along with setting the mix using a glass spark plug. Emissions eh?

and to add to the missing skills list – waiting. Everything has to be done and dusted now. Even our magazines seem to arrive three months before the date on the cover.

antigee

Morse code – my dad spent the war years as a radio operator on obscure pacific islands – but as a kid I remember him tapping away on the morse key of huge amateur radios “chatting” with people all around the world

jamesfts
    Free Member

Managing to navigate to a location using road signs and a sense of direction and, if required, having a look at a map before setting off.

Satnavs can piss off, hateful things. Scratch that, idiots that blindly follow satnavs can piss off. The devices them selves can be useful when combined with the above.

Nunchuck skills, Bow hunting skills, computer hacking skills.

Well played sir.

fourbanger
    Free Member

Embracing new technology. Our ancestors managed to tame fire, train animals and understand seasons to grow crops, allowing them to create an excess that has enabled our level of technological advancement.

Stevet1
    Free Member

I can build a pretty good set of jumps with a spade, seems to be a lost art with the kids around here.

Richie_B

Managing to get to navigate to a location using road signs and a sense of direction and, if required, having a look at a map before setting off.

If the Garmin sat nav in my car is anything to go by the use of paper maps is a skill Garmin seem determined to preserve (I would have more faith in my 5 year old son to chose a sensible route)

MrWoppit
    Free Member

bike trails in north kent nr whitstable?

robdob
    Free Member

One advantage of everyone using Garmins for walking and cycling is that there are loads of OS maps in charity shops and people give them away.
    There is no technological tool that is better than having a huge paper map out on the floor and “seeing” the landscape through the contour lines. You can see so much countryside in one go in front of you in such detail it’s amaZing.

My stack of OS maps is now a metre high. And THEY ARE ALL MINE Ok? :my precious:

Bedds
    Free Member

Starting a car using a manual choke has got to be a dying / dead art, I’m almost sorry my lads won’t have to learn it 🙁

Map reading is a key one, I love using a map and compass, as soon as No. 1 son shows an interest he’ll be learning.

I agree manners are a dying art (I still hold doors open for other people, especially the laydees, my Dad would (if he was able to) clout me if I didn’t), mostly I get genuine thanks, although a few look at me as though I’m a serial killer

avdave2

In my previous job I was a high speed cinematographer for want of a better description. I can’t imagine there is anyone left now using 16mm film, all the high speed filming has gone digital. It wasn’t all that efficient really, a 400ft roll was gone in just over 2 seconds at 10,000 fps and the all but a couple of feet of the film was just black, the event itself lasting just milliseconds.

Cougar

Starting a car using a manual choke has got to be a dying / dead art,

You know, I was just thinking the same thing when Pictonroad mentioned cars earlier. I’m just old enough that my first car had a manual choke which could’ve doubled as an anti-theft device in winter.

Not just cars either, of course. I’m too young to have any direct experience with things like the old petrol lawnmowers than I used to watch with fascination as my granddad fettled about with various levers and things to try and get started, I bet there’s not many people who can still do that nowadays.

Cougar

I agree manners are a dying art (I still hold doors open for other people, especially the laydees,

Years ago I once held a door open for a woman going into M&S, and she called me a sexist pig for it. Er, eh, would you rather I flung it in your face?

The l’espirit de l’escalier conclusion I came to was that I wasn’t holding it open because she was a lady, I was holding it open because I was a gentleman.

People are weird.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

So avdave how did you get into documenting the sex life of stwers?

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

I can use a rake to clear leaves quietly from the garden. I don’t feel the need to blow them around with a 90 dB 2 stroke motor.

I used to be a service engineer. As a result I had a requirement to carry gaskets. Loads of them, and still never had the right one when required. Ditched the lot, got a few rolls of material and made sure I had my trusty ball pein hammer. When my van was inspected, audited my manager was disappointed that I had no gaskets on board (box ticking exercise) I was delighted to demonstrate how to make any gasket. He had never seen it done despite being a good 20 years older than me.

ransos
    Free Member

I’m changing the colour of my trousers. A dyeing art.

fasthaggis

The ability to park in small spaces without beepers*

* Parking Sensors

Bunnyhop

My job as a ‘made to measure’ curtain maker is a dying skill. I have to be able to cut patterns and pattern match.
    I also cut and hang wallpaper.

Sadly in my line of work, young women just aren’t interested. They want to design or earn big money. Curtain making is physical work and they’d rather sit down all day.
    At the start of my apprenticeship I was on a pittance and that was for a couple of years.

BillMC

Apropos of manners, I once stood up for a woman on a tube train. As I did so, I realised she was not expecting but was rather a fierce looking woman of a particular sort with a beer belly. Deary me, if looks could kill I certainly wouldn’t be here to tell the tale. All a bit unnecessary really.

Flaperon

young women just aren’t interested. They want to design or earn big money.

How dare they!

Bunnyhop

Flaperon – Of course why shouldn’t they?
    However someone still needs to make up the designs into clothing, curtains etc.

Edit Not everyone is brainy or can get degrees. Some are better with using their hands or skills elsewhere. Payment for this is at the botttom scale and youngsters today don’t think about starting at the bottom and working their way up.
    I have my own small business from starting off small, getting the skills and working hard.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’m not sure it’s young people not wanting to work. I think it’s that they want the big-time fantastic jobs, rather than everyday mundane ones (not saying yours is mundane Bunnyhop!).

We’re constantly told that we can achieve great things, and our dreams can come true.. so can you really blame kids for being disappointed when they find out their job is going to be tedious…?

molgrips
    Free Member

Bow hunting is quite popular in the US, by the way.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Yeah I hear the chicks love it

maccruiskeen

Sadly in my line of work, young women just aren’t interested.

Unless you want to take on staff then thats they way you should want it – better than being be-devilled by younger, cheaper competition. 🙂

joshvegas
    Free Member

Can we just have

“Dealing with shit cars?”

Singlehanded jumpstart in the rain.
    double declutching a knackered gearbox
    knowing precises how to stir the gear stick to find third
    changing a wheel with a wheel exactly the same size.
    knowing precisely which cable to waggle to get something to work
    hammering your seized drum brakes so you can set off
    keeping up with traffic in a 750cc fiat panda.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 100 total)

The topic ‘Lost skills’ is closed to new replies.