• This topic has 36 replies, 31 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by jwt.
Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • ‘Losing’ stuff in the mancave…..
  • granny_ring

Was looking for the star nut setter tool the other week…….gone.
    The other day it was the turn for the crank bolts to go walk about……

Note to self, be more tidy.

Anyone else ‘lose’ stuff?

Onzadog
    Free Member

I don’t lose stuff, but stuff does go missing due to the hidy tidy the wife insists on doing.

hardtailonly

Yes. Lost my cassette removal tool. No idea when I last used it or WTF I did with it. But it’s not in any of the tool boxes. Or any other boxes that stuff gets chucked in when I can’t be bothered to tidy away properly. And not rolled underneath any if the shelves and other assorted crap in the garage.

Stealth WTD Ad … Anyone got a spare they want to send me?

akira

I tidy up occasionally and then find lots of stuff that’s vanished.

daviek

Onzadog if you don’t mind I’m pinching “hidy tidy” as it perfectly describes what the Mrs does

firestarter
    Free Member

On a similar note i forget stuff i have, Last year I went to the lbs, in fact it was over an hour’s round trip rather than lbs tbh, to discuss some 29er wheels I wanted building for a project. I went home to dig in my understair cupboard of bits to look for a rear hub I had, I found a brand new set of 29er wheels I’d forgotten about doh…

leffeboy

Tee-hee at hidytidy, I’m having that too

grarea
    Free Member

Excellent ‘hidy tidy’.
    I used to have one of them, used to drive me mad.

And, yeah, if anyone can tell me where my most used allen key went please, I would appreciate it.
    I changed my saddle with it, ten minutes later. Gone.
    Haven’t seen it since. No idea where I could have put it down.
    I hope to find it somewhere sensible like in the freezer or something.

MoreCashThanDash

MrsMC is a big fan of the hidy tidy as well.

Currently lost the pump that lives on my road bike – small, neat Lezyne one. Would have taken it off when I washed the bike last. No idea where it’s gone. Now riding round with a bloody great mini-track pump on the seat tube!

Lummox

Trick for me to staying on top of the man cave detritus tide is a 3 thing tidy.

As soon as I see things getting a bit too ‘deep’ I put 3 things away each time I move around the cave. Soon takes the top layer off without becoming an overly onerous cleaning sesh- I don’t go in there to clean.

fathomer

My temper when things don’t go to plan. Last night for instance having changed wheels on the hardtail, both brakes are rubbing which no amount of piston lubing and aligning seems to sort!

sweepy
    Free Member

I’ve got a system whereby everything goes on ‘the pile’ then I know exactly where anything is- its on ‘the pile’.
    The stuff that gets used most often stays on the top, less used stuff gradually sinks to the bottom.

chakaping
    Free Member

Wish my wife would come and tidy the garage up. The thought of it actually made me LOL.

flashinthepan
    Free Member

Another victim of ‘hidy tidy’ here. Charging cables are her grestest offence

mattyfez

I’ve got a roll of double sided sticky foam tape some where.

I could really do to find it.

mrwhyte
    Free Member

Victim of another Hidy Tidy here.
    Had guests coming round, so she put everything away, meaning she stuffed it all in random places.

One of those was my work phone…. 6 months later I have only just found it. I kept having to explain to work my phone was too big and bulky to carry around with me, hence I never had it on me.

mildbore

Hardtailonly, I have a spare cassette tool. Lost mine for months so I eventually bought a new one, which as we know is the cue to find the original. I’ll pop it in the post if you email me your address (grumpytechnophobe@gmail.com) but can’t promise I won’t ask for it straight back when I lose mine when I no longer have a spare

hardtailonly

^^^ mildbore … Thank you so much.
    Let me know what you want for postage and the tool and I’ll send you a PayPal gift.

Wally

I lost my cassette removal toothed tool for 20 frustrating minutes and I have a tidy man cave. Found in cassette on wheel. Dooough.

alanw2007

Bought a Dura Ace chain for my wife’s bike. Put it somewhere safe. Can I remember where or find it? Can I b*lx! Shimano will probably be on 15 speed by the time it comes to light.

granny_ring

Phew, not just me then 🙂
    Going to attempt a sort out this week, in stages and see what turns up!

canopy
    Free Member

don’t lose parts much – my problem is my work bag.. I somehow either miss things i put in it when looking. last years bday pressie for the mrs which i found just after the event in the bag, and this weekend gone a new bike bell (yeah I have one). thought i’d left it at work, since I left some nice new riding glasses at work previously.

have my bike tools reasonably sorted – its parts i have a problem finding sometimes.

andytherocketeer

I always put things in a safe place.
    So safe that even I can’t find it 😉

scaled
    Free Member

Oh man, i can lose stuff while i’m doing the job ffs.

The garage isn’t even that messy

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I usually do the following:

– use something
    – put it down
    – spend 10 minutes trying to find it
    – realise it was in plain sight in front of me
    – take another sip of beer

– repeat above until bedtime

P-Jay
    Free Member

I call it Hidying in my house, but when I lose things it’s usually my fault.

The ‘Mancave’ is a old pre-fab garage that’s dark, so dark that even fitting a lightbulb didn’t help, it’s also very cold and whilst it was a prolonged, bitter and bloody civil war, I’m only fighting for dignity in defeat with the spiders.

So, I tend to grab tools and take them into the house to fix my bike, when they get lost, or Hidied from the children (cable cutters look like the perfect tool to remove 3 year old fingers).

No, I gain things though Hidying usually, gardening crap that taken from the gardening crap pile at the back of the garage and left on my worktop because it’s 2m closer than the gardening crap pile.

wonnyj
    Free Member

Currently one knee pad and a tubeless valve. Really takes the edge of pre-ride prep when you can’t find stuff!

Blackflag
    Free Member

The most irritating thing about the Hidy Tidy is my partners insistence that she hasn’t moved anything. But then it turns up months later in a bizzare drawer and when confronted she says “oh that, well you shouldn’t have left it lying around”.

stevied
    Free Member

Best solution I found was to buy a new house.
    Then, when I moved all the stuff from the old garage into my new man-cave, I put it all in the correct place.
    All is well in my man-cave 🙂
    edit: The shed is also at the bottom of the garden so Mrs Tidy-Hidy doesn’t go anywhere near it..

kcr
    Free Member

canopy
    Free Member

steveid has it. i have a man cave but its full of my guitars, computer etc. since birth of youngun i barely get in there 🙁 🙁

bike work gets done in the utility/consvervatory. parts in clear plastic boxes, tools in a collection of toolboxes. been looking for “one toolboxo rule them all” but not found “the one” yet.

next house. new larger man cave for guitars, plus a workshop/shed for DIY and bike maintenance

Onzadog
    Free Member

“oh that, well you shouldn’t have left it lying around”.

That, that there! That sums up this entire thread for me.

mildbore

She’s right though, isn’t she

I wish my wife would apply her ruthless efficiency to tidying the garage. And my office. I’m a chaosmunger and so I have piles of stuff waiting to be organized. But when I begin organizing all that happens is the piles change format. If I could find the tools I need at any time my life would be so easy it’d almost be dull.

olly2097
    Free Member

3 expanding foam guns.
    5 tape measures.
    4 shock pumps.
    I’ve got more oscillating multi tool blades than I’ll ever need.
    3 pairs of side cutters.

I buy. I lose. I clear up. I find. Repeat.

fossy

The garage is mine. I even hid a FS bike in there for 18 months. Bought it not long after getting out of hospital (broken spine) as I was no longer road riding, and I needed a FS as my old MTB was from the 90’s. It was only ‘discovered’ when giving away toys to my niece for her kids.

I was bought a load of ‘racking’ last Christmas, so all my stuff is organised on shelves. Bike spares are in large boxes. It still get’s messy, but over the last year I’ve organised it better. It’s still stuffed with stuff, but I can find everything There are 9.5 bikes in there (0.5 is a tag-a-long). I have the turbo bike set up permanently, but the other two road bikes haven’t been used since I broke my spine.

I have a habit of putting a tool down, and forgetting where I put it (5 minutes later).

jwt
    Free Member

I have been known to spend 15 minutes looking for the safety goggles that are on my head………..

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘‘Losing’ stuff in the mancave…..’ is closed to new replies.