• This topic has 74 replies, 55 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by mboy.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 75 total)
  • Losing my mojo for MTB…
  • mboy
    Free Member

It’s one of those things that gets posted up on here from time to time, but I feel like I’m totally losing my enthusiasm for mountain biking. A number of things are conspiring I know, but I just feel like it’s too much effort sometime, or on my only real day off each week (Sunday) I’d rather just lay in bed. My GF finds it extremely frustrating right now truth be told, so wondering what to do.

At the moment I’m doing more road than MTB, Thursday evenings I’ve got a social 30 mile group going, I go out maybe once in a while on my own, and also very occasional Sundays I’ll do a group ride or something, all of which I have no problems motivating myself for. Mountain biking wise, well… Just can’t get the motivation!

Part of the reason I’m sure is that on MTB rides I feel like I’m always either holding a group of fast guys up, or I get bored waiting for really slow people. Hardly seem to ride with anyone of a similar pace. That and I’ve always got to stick the bike in/on the car, and drive for 30mins or more to get to anything worth riding (Wyre which is waterlogged right now, FoD which I’ve done to death this year so far, Cannock which well… Done to death too), and it’s dragging me down. Been tempted to do the rigid singlespeed thing, to actually make riding the canals and woods near Worcester (where I live) interesting enough to bother riding an MTB locally but also don’t just want to waste money that I don’t really have or sell a nice bike that I do have just to pay for one.

Suggestions (sensible ones) appreciated… 🙂

geetee1972
    Free Member

Life is too short not to be happy. Do what makes you happy. If you want to put the MTB to one side and just ride the road bike do it. You can always come back to it when you’re ready, especially if you’re still young. I’ve done three MTB comebacks in my life and am currently on my fourth sabatical while I concentrate on the road bike because I’ve also just lost my MTB mojo. But I am happy on the road bike.

Be happy mate.

d45yth
    Free Member

Only suggestion I can give is to find some folk who ride at a similar pace (or get quicker). It’s seems like some of your other problems can only be changed if you move!

Edit – I’ve seen a lot of lads pack mountain biking in and change to road bikes for the same reasons.

vinnyeh

Embrace it. I’m a bit like that at the moment. This year only used the mtb for a few events and a couple of big trips- all the casual local stuff has been either on easy paths on the cx bike, or on the road. Fittest I’ve ever been.
    Next year might be different though. Great thing about bikes, I can find one to suit every mood.

Simon

I think you need to move. If I had to drive to find some decent riding I’d probably give up.

Kryton57

I considered posting a similar thread today about all types of biking. After an apathetic moment of indecision that caused me to miss a club road ride, I then had a physical and mental breakdown on the turbo this morning. Not able to get up to speed on the Turbo for two weeks now, I’ve decided – with some advice – not to touch a bike for a week as I’ve been battering away at some training plan or another since feb.

Re the rigid SS – I did the same and recently – as in last week went 29er. I have found that plodding along at one speed and different associated challenges it brings has refreshed my MTB as has riding the Beastway race series. Riding rigid SS seems to feel like it has an air of purity about it as well IMO – no setting up the suspension – just pedal and looking for smooth lines. Perhaps get a cheap one and try it, or just have a rest from bikes for a bit.

globalti
    Free Member

I lost mine five years ago after being the world’s most enthusiastic mountain biker for 20 years – off somewhere every weekend, talking about mountain biking to the point of irritating the rest of the family, living and dreaming mountain bikes. Road cycling has given me a whole new outlook, made me much much fitter and saved me a fortune in worn out kit and fuel for the weekends away.

And I just love the subtlety and style of road riding; though I wouldn’t go as far as buying Rapha kit.

neilwheel
    Free Member

As above, don’t fight it. As long as it’s not part of some more serious depression type thing, which it does not sound like it is?
    Do what you enjoy, ride more, in whatever style and have more sex.

MrOvershoot

geetee1972 – Member

Life is too short not to be happy. Do what makes you happy. If you want to put the MTB to one side and just ride the road bike do it. You can always come back to it when you’re ready, especially if you’re still young. I’ve done three MTB comebacks in my life and am currently on my fourth sabbatical while I concentrate on the road bike because I’ve also just lost my MTB mojo. But I am happy on the road bike.

Be happy mate.

This + lots.

I just enjoy riding a bike. it doesn’t have to be scary or rad etc just plenty of scenic views.
    Sometimes just stopping to look at that view of the local vista makes me happy and long may it continue 😀

JoeG
    Free Member

Get a fatbike! I did about a year and a half ago, and it really made riding fun again.

DT78
    Free Member

My mtbs have largely been unloved this year as riding road, just for the odd event, which due to the road bike I’m performing much better at. Was just starting to get bored of road riding and did my first tt this week, reinvigorated and interested again! Just keep changing it round. For me setting some sort of goal is key like entering a big event like torq12

Bazz

These things happen, last summer it was all about the road for me, only went out on the mtb about half a dozen times all summer, this year it’s the opposite, hardly touched the road bike but have been out on the mtb almost every week, some times multiple times in a week. This is why multiple bikes are a good thing.

brooess
    Free Member

This is what’s great about riding bikes – N+1 doesn’t cost a lot 🙂 but it can give you a whole new lease of life.

Why not get a CX bike and combine the MTB with road?

michaelmcc
    Free Member

Part of the reason I’m sure is that on MTB rides I feel like I’m always either holding a group of fast guys up, or I get bored waiting for really slow people.

Go out on your own then??

jameso

Thing that I get fed up with in MTBing very fast – driving to trails and the resulting lack of freedom and spontaneity.
    Things I love about road bikes – riding from the door and lack of maintenance.

Get a simple MTB that suits what you have on your doorstep? Rocky stuff on a susser or woodland trails on a rigid, it’s all pretty similar to me.
    And ride alone more, it’s great. No waiting while people faff with gadgets, better flow as you never need to regroup and go where you please. Not always better but I’m often happier on solo rides, or with small groups that I know well. Riding alone on a simple bike is riding for the pure enjoyment of it, I love it.

joolsburger
    Free Member

I ride with the dog a lot, he doesn’t mind waiting on the hills, doesn’t get arsey if I want to try the same bit of trail a few times and is always on for going out. He saved my mojo but sometimes a change is as good as a rest.

matther01
    Free Member

Get yourself over to Cannock but go exploring on your own around there and Brocton looking for the off piste stuff. I happily get lost and seem to find new bits all the time. After 2 years of exploring I’m only now starting to feel like I can do an planned off piste route.

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

I think you have answered the question your self DONE TO DEATH.Mix it up more road/CX/MTB.There is alot in the Forest Of Dean have been riding there for 24 years and fine new trails often and i know it pretty well and new stuff is being built all the time.You could try the Cotswolds above Cheltenham and Gloucester plenty there.Have a change try 2 wheels with an engine 😀

hilldodger
    Free Member

Similar story for me, mtb sitting forlornly with 3 month old mud while road bike gets ridden every day. Think I’m just bored with the whole “gear lust” thing that has overtaken most people I ride with.
    Sure, there’s a fair deal of it in roadie circles but most I know have the “pump up the tyres, give the chain a wipe, and get riding” attitude.
    Far less faffing and fettling, just riding, banter and cake stops.
    Anyway, it’s all bikes at the end of the day 🙂

eulach

You could sign up for a race, set yourself a realistic goal and train for it (rather than just take part). Whatever discipline takes your fancy.

mboy
    Free Member

Life is too short not to be happy. Do what makes you happy. If you want to put the MTB to one side and just ride the road bike do it. You can always come back to it when you’re ready, especially if you’re still young. I’ve done three MTB comebacks in my life and am currently on my fourth sabatical while I concentrate on the road bike because I’ve also just lost my MTB mojo. But I am happy on the road bike.

Only suggestion I can give is to find some folk who ride at a similar pace (or get quicker).

I think the problem is that I’m a social rider. If a group of people wanna go out that I know are of a similar pace, I’m there. If it’s (as is too often the case) a wannabe elite racer training ride, or (again as is all too often the case) a newbie hand holding exercise, I lose interest. I sound like a selfish ****t now, and I know it, but bikes aren’t just a passion for me, they’re now a livelihood, so I know I need to enjoy my riding more.

And ride alone more, it’s great. No waiting while people faff with gadgets, better flow as you never need to regroup and go where you please. Not always better but I’m often happier on solo rides, or with small groups that I know well. Riding alone on a simple bike is riding for the pure enjoyment of it, I love it.

I can understand the benefits, but it’s the motivation to ride on my own I struggle with. Any ideas to improve motivation for riding alone? I manage the odd 60-90 minute road ride on my own occasionally (I find this a LOT easier than riding MTB on my own), but still struggle not to find a reason not to ride.

I think you need to move. If I had to drive to find some decent riding I’d probably give up.

Moving isn’t an option… Various reasons, but won’t be moving any time soon. It’s roughly 30mins in the car door to door to the nearest trails worth riding. On the road bike, I can be on beautiful quiet country lanes inside 5 minutes!

I considered posting a similar thread today about all types of biking. After an apathetic moment of indecision that caused me to miss a club road ride, I then had a physical and mental breakdown on the turbo this morning. Not able to get up to speed on the Turbo for two weeks now, I’ve decided – with some advice – not to touch a bike for a week as I’ve been battering away at some training plan or another since feb.

Despite thinking about it over the disgusting winter, I still didn’t give in to buying a turbo. And I think the day I do, cycling will cease to be entertaining and just become about exercise! Don’t get me wrong, I like being in shape and fit, but I can’t do exercise for exercise’s sake. It’s got to give me some kind of excitement, or at least provide some kind of social stimulation.

I just enjoy riding a bike. it doesn’t have to be scary or rad etc just plenty of scenic views.
    Sometimes just stopping to look at that view of the local vista makes me happy and long may it continue

I do try. I definitely take more time to take the scenery in these days than I used to do. It does help for sure.

My mtbs have largely been unloved this year as riding road, just for the odd event, which due to the road bike I’m performing much better at. Was just starting to get bored of road riding and did my first tt this week, reinvigorated and interested again! Just keep changing it round. For me setting some sort of goal is key like entering a big event like torq12

TTing is a no no… Tried it, once… Honestly think I’d rather get fat! It just holds no appeal.

The goal thing though does help. Did Bontrager 24/12 as a 12hr solo last year, my first ever, and really enjoyed it. Was the fittest I’ve been for some time, but due to many commitments this year, I’ve neither been able to ride as much, or plan far enough ahead to look at doing something like this again this year. Sounds like excuses I know, but I’m busy working 60hrs plus a week (for myself I’ll admit) so any rides I do get the chance for, I’m more bothered about just having fun rather than any training etc.

Why not get a CX bike and combine the MTB with road?

Have one. It’s barely been used. Some people bill them as the best of both worlds, IMO, they’re too much of a compromise to be particularly good either on road or off. Though I suppose if I was riding lots of local canals and local woods, it might be different as it would be more suitable.

Get a simple MTB that suits what you have on your doorstep? Rocky stuff on a susser or woodland trails on a rigid, it’s all pretty similar to me.

MTB wise, got a 29er HT and a short travel 29er FS at the moment. I spent years owning long travel full sus bikes, or HT’s with a fork longer than really suitable and not using them. Very tempted still by the SS thing as I borrowed one weeks ago, and though I couldn’t get up a few climbs on it, it definitely made me think more about the ride.

There is alot in the Forest Of Dean have been riding there for 24 years and fine new trails often and i know it pretty well and new stuff is being built all the time.

You almost certainly know it better than me, but I definitely know it better than 99% of the rest of the public that ride there. I think the thing is, every time I ride down there, I’m ALWAYS leading a group. Same in the Wyre Forest… I never get the luxury of just sitting back and enjoying the trails without worrying about not losing people, I’m always the one shepherding everyone else and making sure that they enjoy the ride themselves. Again, very selfish perhaps, but I can’t remember the last time someone else showed me an interesting trail that I’d not ridden before, that I got a real buzz from! For instance, I love Dowies, but now I know it so well that I go down there, and expect to beat my Strava times down Dowies each and every time I ride there otherwise it annoys me! 😕

You could try the Cotswolds above Cheltenham and Gloucester plenty there.

Love Cranham, don’t know it at all though, and my Cranham local (you know who you are if you’re reading this!!! 😉 ) has moved away and given MTB’s up! 🙁 So I’ve not ridden there in 2 years or so…

Have a change try 2 wheels with an engine

Been there, done that, can’t afford it any more on a number of levels. Still got a bike in my Dad’s shed that’s been there for years and one day I’ll fully restore it, but I can’t ride a motorbike slowly (I’m not a lunatic, but I do like the sensation of speed), So I recognise it’s probably best I don’t ride one at all until I can ride one at speeds that wouldn’t lose my license in a very short space of time.

Guy who owns the motorbike shop 2 doors from mine keeps offering me a go on his Ducati 1098R with full race pipe and a factory re-map though! It’s got about 190bhp, and all up weight of about 165kg… 😯

Mugboo

+1 Simon

Or get building, if mo won’t come to the mountain..

Jamie
    Free Member

Get a simple MTB that suits what you have on your doorstep?

That’s what I did, and it’s working out very well. Bike is a rigid 29er which cost £400. If I use it, then great, but I won’t beat myself up about not using it if not. As it is I think my new simple MTB is scratching my offroad itch enough to make me abandon my plans to get a new CX bike later in the year, and maybe just get a road bike again to compliment it.

This shit is like a vicious cycle, stuff appeals, then doesn’t. No harm in walking away from biking for a bit. Go running, climbing etc. You’ll get the call again at some point.

Northwind

I lose my motorbike mojo, here’s the outcome:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/bHeX5K]When SVOTMs get old[/url] by Northwindlowlander, on Flickr

I don’t know if you can fight it, I tried to and all it meant was the mojo was well and truly killed. I think possibly the best thing to do is just back away gently and sneak up on it again some other time. If I lost my mtb mojo I’d be gutted but it seems to come in hand with aquiring some alternative mojo.

postierich
    Free Member

The 29ers have killed it for you!

Kryton57

postierich – Member
    The 29ers have killed it for you!

…and the eureka moment arrives. Yes, 650b is the answer… *faints*

Slogo
    Free Member

I felt the same. I built my bike a few years ago while i was working away, got home built it up.

things didn’t fit, wrong parts. spent ages getting it to work. by the time it was all sorted i was fed up. My mates were a lot faster as i didn’t ride for 8 months.

went away and left the bike for 10 months while i worked abroad again. came home spent all my time with the GF. Then away for 3 months came home 3 weeks ago and love it. A few tweaks and some good lungs and I’m away. Spending lots of time getting quicker. getting out with the boys on saturday. ill tell um I’m fat and wait! Moving to Cape Town and its coming with me! I love my bike.

I used to live in worcester, hate the place. now live by the sea.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Skipping a few posts but move. Driving to get to cannock?? There is much better out there.
    After that buy a new bike and book a holiday somewhere inspiring 🙂

slackalice
    Free Member

The mojo… it comes and it goes and then comes back. Personally speaking, the relationship I have with biking/cycling/mountain biking is like all relationships – imagine them as elastic bands. Sometimes we’re close, then other times, we stretch apart, but the strong relationships are like the elastic band and at some point, we get drawn closer once more. Give it time, enjoy whatever you do and try not to mourn your loss of enthusiasm because if your love of mountain biking is as strong as it appears with your many and varied contributions on here, you’ll be back with it again at some point 😀

There is of course some rule to do with points of elasticity, that I recall vaguely from school. At which point I believe that saying goodbye isn’t so much to do with mourning, but gratitude and I don’t think you’re at that point yet 😀

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I think the driving thing would put a dampener on it for me as well. I’m incredibly lucky that I’ve got quality riding from my doorstep. Last night for example (and two or three times a week at this time of year), put the kids to bed and was walking out the door at just gone 8 and did an hours ride. 10 miles on lovely dusty moorland trails, being stopped by dog walkers to chat about the Tour and whether I’d been to see it and how they were amazed by it etc etc. Was a great little ride.

Another thing which I’ve just discovered is that monster that is Strava. My last couple of rides have been logged on it and I’ve just done similar local trails but its kinda added a different dimension to my ride where I’m pushing the speed thing a bit more. I’m not sure if its more enjoyable but a pootle has turned into an hours proper workout. Its something different… I’m not going to log all my rides but I enjoy the analysis of my riding afterwards!

maxtorque

Don’t force it. I came back from the Alps last year “all biked out” parked my MTB and ignored it for probably 3 months. Then, one morning, i woke up, and just wanted to ride. So i did, and it was FAB! 😉

Having a range of hobbies outside of MTBs is healthy and normal imo!

rosscopeco
    Free Member

Some good life experience advise above.

The only thing I’d add: Remember the old saying…”Do something everyday that scares you.” When I feel the mojo dying (for anything) I find that going to that bit of trail that scares me works wonders for re-lighting the fire.

deadkenny
    Free Member

I do it all for fun. Social rides in the main at weekends, and I don’t care that we can all be different pace, and frankly the rest don’t care either. The stuff I ride at weekends are social climbs where there’s no intent to beat a time, stop at a trail, then head off in turn at each own’s pace, climb up somewhere else, and repeat. With chat stops, food & mechanicals.

Sometimes I do evening rides with guys more into a set pace, but the pace is generally set by the slowest, and I find I can fit into the pace okay, not always at the back 😀 . That’s my fitness kind of ride, but still more of a social thing to me. Some of those guys are into races and stuff but I’m not really bothered about that.

And if there’s no one to ride with, I’m out exploring.

I mix it up between ful sus and hard tail, and the HT I find expands my range of riding as I can happily ride a lot of local trails, bridleways, tow paths, longer xc-ish stuff, plus it’s more preferable on the night rides. The full sus is long travel AM bike and a bit too much for that but a right blast in places where it’s justified, and great for away trips.

I think I’d struggle far more getting any kind of mojo for road cycling. Nothing could bore me more than tarmac, and getting out with other riders means joining a serious club, doing sportives and other kinds of bollox that would just turn me off riding forever. Just doesn’t hold the same social appeal to me as off road, or even when riding solo off road has the appeal of enjoying being out in nature and away from urban and traffic.

And yeah, as above, I enjoy an off road ride more if there’s something that can scare me a bit. Though solo rides I’m a little more cautious these days, especially if I’m not likely to be found until the morning by dog walkers. That or eaten by wolves.

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

No i meant proper motobikes OFF-Road ones you sell the right named brand.Your half way there :wink:.

BadlyWiredDog

Have one. It’s barely been used. Some people bill them as the best of both worlds, IMO, they’re too much of a compromise to be particularly good either on road or off. Though I suppose if I was riding lots of local canals and local woods, it might be different as it would be more suitable.

I reckon you need to look at things in a different, more positive way. Take cross bikes, you can take the attitude that they’re slower on the road than a road bike and far worse off road than a mountain bike. Or you can reason that they’re far better off road than a road bike and a sight better on road than a mountain bike.

And Strava has quite high amusement value too. 🙂

tazzymtb

Come and play in the secret cheeky trails with ss idiots on the chase. We promise not to make you cry too much…but seriously, riding with new folks on new stuff can be a grwat way to rekindle the joy of simply mucking about on bikes

oliverd1981
    Free Member

There must be some cheeky trails near you. If not – build them in winter – ride them in summer.

jimster01

Don’t come to malvern, the ridings’ awful.

LoCo
    Free Member

South Wales local stuff when you have some time free, you know where I am 😉

TiRed

Change your goals. Ride SS, be dropped downhill but catch up on the climbs. Most of my riding is road and race. Off road is often with Teens 1 and 2. Goals change completely to having fun, technical mastery and enjoying how Teen 1 just vanishes downhill.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 75 total)

The topic ‘Losing my mojo for MTB…’ is closed to new replies.