Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Loose headset cup in carbon frame fix ?
  • scruff
    Free Member

I bought a couple of very cheap Nukeproof ZS56 headsets as I needed to replace the lower bearing and the whole headsets were discounted.
    The old headset had a plastic cup and tapped out reasonably easily as per normal removal. New headset cup is aluminium and can be pressed in / pulled out quite easily by hand and just isnt snug enough. I assume the plastic cup was used to take up poor carbon manufacturing tolerances.
    Are there any retaining compounds that will work with Aluminium / carbon headtube?
    Tried PTFE tape and it helps but not holding it well enough. May even try a coke can strip bodge.
    Any other ideas?

BearBack
    Free Member

Loctite green bearing assembly/retaining.

Not sure which number I used successfully for the same problem on a carbon felt.

cookeaa

Can’t you put the new bearing on the old cup?

mashr

BearBack
    Free Member
    Loctite green bearing assembly/retaining

638 iirc

Del

638 as above. Check material compatibility though.

timba
    Free Member

Any compatible epoxy adhesive will do the job. Clean the inside of the headtube thoroughly and wax/grease the headset cup so that it doesn’t stick and you can change it in future

Mix in some micro-balloons to fill gaps if it’s bad

jimfrandisco
    Free Member

Another for Loctite 638.

Had a loose headset (as in pushed straight in by hand) in a vintage road frame, not shifted since used the loctite.

spicer
    Free Member

Is your name Bernard Kerr and do you work for pivot?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.